Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 393 reviews
on January 26, 2017
I love this record. It is one of my favorites.

I bought the 180 gram vinyl (I already owned the CD from its release). I don't recommend the vinyl. The pressing is not great. There is distortion in some of the instrumentation and vocals. Far too many pops and crackles for a new record. Beyond that, the mix seems to be missing a lushness present on the cd. I wanted to love the vinyl, but I didn't.

Having said that, the record and the songs are among Fiona Apple's best work.
on March 7, 2016
This is Fiona Apple's best album - it was a great comeback for her! If you're a new Fiona Apple fan, I suggest getting this record along with Tidal, and go from there! This CD is JAM PACKED with excellent songs from beginning to end. If you're going through a breakup, listen to this (along with Beck's Sea Change, and Elliott Smith's XO) and you'll get through it!
on November 17, 2005
Now 28, Fiona Apple burst onto the scene nine years ago with 1996's debut "Tidal". That album was full of beyond-her-19-years insight, musicianship and angst. A powerful debut which was not matched with 1999's "When The Pawn". So, now, six years later, we have "Extraordinary Machine" with all of its internet buzz that it had been shelved unfairly. Was it worth the wait?

Well, yes, actually. It is a refreshing album all the way through. In fact, I think it might arguably be her best thus far. She seems lighter musically while keeping her lyrical bite intact. There are several great alternative songs here like the title track, "O, Sailor", "Tymps (The Sick In The Head Song)", "Waltz (Better Than Fine)" and "Window". The rest of the album is just as solid. Apple flexes her lyrical muscle, creating imaginative word couplets and wordplay as evidenced on the title track where she says, "I mean to prove I mean to move in my own way, and say, I've been getting along for long before you came into the play."

Though I enjoyed this album, I believe the best is yet to come from Ms. Apple. A little more life experience and aging and she may just come up with a Grammy-winning alternative album, or album of the year. A one-of-a-kind talent, "Extraordinary Machine" will be listed in many best of 2005 lists by the end of the year. Let's just hope it doesn't take another six years until the next album.
on February 3, 2013
Fiona Apple is typically a love-her or hate-her artist, but it always amazes me who ends up loving her. This album, though, is so amazing that converts pop up directly after hearing the first track, like my husky, entrepreneurial contractor/plow guy neighbor who goes by Bubba. The production is flawless to my ears and, as always, Apple's lyrics grab you by the ear and demand to be heard. Fiona Apple is crazy talented, regardless if she is crazy or not, and I honestly feel blessed to have this music in my collection. The music kicks your butt, comforts your soul, and leaves you feeling satisfied.
Or at least, that's what this album does for me. And it's just that: an album. Listen beginning to end and if it's the right fit for you, you'll appreciate the experience and the time you gave her.
on October 7, 2005
It's true: I'd never heard a Fiona Apple song before I bought this CD. (I stopped listening to pop radio in 1994.) I bought "Extraordinary Machine" based on an article about Ms. Apple and a review of the CD that appeared in Rolling Stone magazine ... and I am thrilled with this piece of work.

First off, her voice is amazing. So smooth, expressive, versatile and angst-ridden. She sounds like a more sultry version of Tori Amos doing funky cabaret music. Brilliant!

Secondly, this gal can really write a song! Catchy melodies, and she can turn a phrase on its ear. Tons of emotion in each of the songs.

I'm a fan now, thanks to this great new CD! Keep recording, Fiona Apple ... I'll keep buying!
on April 1, 2015
As always, Fiona Apple proves to be an amazing musician and songwriter. I love all of her albums, but I think this is my favorite. You can see how her songwriting progresses from album to album, and I think she's truly at her best in this one. The best songs on the album are Extraordinary Machine, O' Sailor, Tymps, Window, and perhaps best of all, Not About Love (which has an awesome music video with Zach Galifianakis that you should definitely check out). I'd highly recommend the album.
on February 18, 2006
Extraordinary Machine is Fiona Apple's best musical accomplishment so far. Five years after her release, When the Pawn..., Fiona has not lost one ounce of her touch. The stunningly mature vocals of a still so youthful and yet so refined a woman, the striking piano arrangements, and the unique style without the overproduction continue to reveal an artist who wants to remain true to her style, even if it means having to settle for the gold at the expense of sacrificing an opportunity of achieving multiplatinum sales status, which I think she could do. She has the looks and the potential starpower, and I think that the latter case might yet come without having to redefine herself in terms of some marketing craze that has less substance and is otherwise bland.

In her eyes and in her vocals, Fiona is energetic and passionate. Her music is unique and special, for it can be listened to from various perspectives and angles. Regardless of whether you are happy or sad, Extraordinary Machine seems to be apt for the present moment. It is perhaps as close a musical listening experience equivalent to witnessing a dog simultaneously growl at one end and playfully wag its tail at the other as one could possibly get.
on February 18, 2006
Extraordinary Machine is Fiona Apple's finest release to date. She is worthy of the accolades received for this gem of a twelve track set. Great vocals, striking piano, and unique style all reflect an artist who wants to reveal to the world her true talent without compromising her special qualities in the name of trying to blend in with the insipid, superficial styles of today's hot market products.

Comparing the worst track from this collection with the best one from a certain top seller of the past year is like comparing the appearance of Fiona at the Grammys with that other artist. I will not mention any names, but a certain flashy bit of jewelry might give you a clue.

Seriously, Fiona is energetic, and her musical passion is pervasive. Her energy transcends to the listener, especially one who exercises, for I can tell you that this is a great CD for long workouts. Truly, any fine machine that plays it is automatically upgraded to extraordinary.

All in all, Extraordinary Machine is suitable for all moods. How so? Let's say that depending on your frame of mind, you can regard it as either lighthearted or intense or, in between, as lighthearted intensity.

In the Dualdisc Format, the CD side and PCM side are dually extraordinary.
on February 28, 2006
Wow, this CD is really worth the listen. It's typical Fiona, but the title track is truly amazing. I was totally feeling the "Judy Garland"-like channeling that Fiona musters with all of her mellow alto goodness! Good Times!! Some of the songs aren't really up to Fiona Apple's usual speed, but I would definitely recommend this to anyone with an appetite for something other than the boring mainstream hooplah.
on October 18, 2005
This album was well worth the wait. I just hope Sony doesn't mess around and make us wait another six years to hear from Ms. Apple. The song, "Extraordinary Machine", is simply incredible as is the entire album. The title track is different from her normal sound but is a great treat with a Doris Day feel. Check it out and fall in love with it. From the second track on however, we hear Fiona's classic sound that her fans know and love. "O' Sailor" is the third song and the one being pushed first. It's a great song but I feel the second track, "Get Him Back" really rocks with Fiona's piano playing. It is quite possibly my personal favorite on the album but tracks 1 & 7 are awesome too. Track 7 is "Window" Another great song worth checking out.

The dual disc DVD is well worth the money for any true Fiona fan. It has a music video of the song "Not About Love" but the live performances are the best feature on the DVD.

Welcome back Fiona and may the Lord bless you and "Extraordinary Machine."