Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Eye On It
Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 29, 2012
Sooo disappointed in this tobyMac release! I have been a fan from day one, but there is not really one track on this album that I like. It sounds like the same Owl City song over and over again, and really seems to pander to the Christian mainstream audience. I understand that it's all about making money, but honestly, what ever happened to artistry? His past albums always seemed to lead the way in blazing new territory for a Christian artist, but this one just seems to be taking an easy path behind others who are out in front now.

It seems like everyone in the "review" market is afraid to say anything bad about this album, except about the cover art (which is agreeably lame). Please, take my word for it...this is his most unimaginitive album. Save yourself some money & buy the Owl City album if you like this style, or even better...buy Toby's kid a MacBook, so he'll stop singing about it. Hope he goes back & tries again, and doesn't try to ride out three years on this recording. Toby has always had better stuff in him than this. I hope he can find it again.

Just my opinion.
77 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 6, 2013
Before you dislike just here me out . Dc talk was a hip hop / rap band for there first three CDs then they went rock and pop in Jesus Freak but I was a fan . Then supernatural was just plain awful . Toby Mac relapsed momentum in 2001 . A heavy metal/rock/rap cd that was off the chain ! He also released diverse city which was awesome ! I liked portable sounds wich came in 2007 but it wasn't him ya know . He released tonight wich was pretty bad . It had lots f hits though . I was praying to God the rap artist we know and love would burn up this cd while keeping it crunk because he knows how . Unfortunately Toby has gone soft . He is now with one direction and Justin beiber . So long Toby . Don't be sad though he was soooooo cool . If you want the real Toby Mac buy momentum and free at last by dc talk .
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 28, 2012
I have been a big Toby fan since the 90's when DC Talk ruled the Christian airways. Toby's solo releases have always been exciting and fun and each has had it's own unique sound yet they have all shared one thing in common; diversity. Eye On It, Toby's fifth offering still brings the upbeat beats that Tmac fans love and expect but seems to lack some of the style variations that have always given Toby his own flavor. Lyrically this albm is a step up. Toby seems to be getting a little more direct with his Christian songs which is something I appreciate very much. I have listened through this album twice now and really do like it and you probably will too!

1. Me Without You: The first single that has seen a ton of radio play definitely reflects the current popular electro-pop flare. The message is solid and the I can see why it was his choice as a single.
2. Steal My Show: A cool song with a nice even flow that reflects Toby's desire for the Lord's leading in his life. If you liked "Background" by lecrae this song will sit quite well with you.
3. Eye On It: I am quite surprised that this song didn't feature a member of Family Force 5 as it sounds like something they would do. Different and not my favorite song but still upbeat and fun with lots of electronic flare.
4. Forgiven: A highly anticipated song featuring the popular Christian rapper Lecrae, this song is one of the highlights of the album and WILL see radio play. It's a good combo as Toby sings about the joys of being forgiven and Lecrae actually tells you where to find it (Jesus), lol.
5. Speak Life: Another one of the stand-outs on the album with a great message and distinct Toby flavor. Upbeat and easy to listen to, don't be surprised to smile and bob your head when this one comes on the shuffle.
6. Unstoppable: Definitely one of the few very diverse songs on the album. An interesting synergy of electronic synthesis with a rock-driven chorus. Blanca from G1C adds some great background vocals and the message is a great one that is getting more common as the church continues to come under scrutiny by the culture.
7. Lose Myself: Not my favorite on the album but still a solid song that I think will grow on me. The chorus is cool and the message is clear and direct. We must decrease and He must increase.
8. Family: The albums token slow-song ballad with a solid message that should make some people think. This one will probably be overlooked by most but will really hit a few and I am sure God will use its message in a big way in their lives.
9. Thankful For You: One of my favorites on the album with a very Tobymac flavor. Very reflective of Toby's career and a message that most "veteran" Christians will really connect with. Love the transition between the slower verses and the super upbeat chorus.
10. Made For Me: Toby's tribute to his wife. Fine song that I sure she appreciates but one you'll probably skip.
11. Mac Daddy: Truet is back and sounds like a man! Funny song (as usual). It will be interesting to see if Truet follows his father's footsteps. (Tip, listen to each Truet song chronologically. You'll get a kick out of this audible growth chart.
12. Favorite Song: Surprising closer featuring the popular Jamie Grace. Fine song but a bit generic. Didn't really stand out to me but your millage may vary.

Hope this review was helpful!
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 1, 2012

My initial reaction was "Alright! A new TobyMac album! You had my money at 'TobyMac'..."

Buy, download, burn to disk, load in car stereo for morning commute.

After playing a few tracks I was surprised when I reached for the "next track" button on the steering wheel. I had a hard time differentiating between tracks; they all sound so, well, *same*. With TMac, I expect to find two or three tracks I'll play over and over, another three or four I'll never skip when they come up on shuffle. Sure, there's always a song or two on any one's albums that just doesn't groove me and I click past after listening the initial three or four times.

I found myself doing that the *first time through* "Eye on it" though!

Truett's song is my favorite on the album. I've loved the Truett songs on each album since the beginning. They're fun, like a little joke, or a piece of bubble gum. Love 'em at first, then listen again only a few times a year or with my kids. I look forward to them, but they're never my *favorite*.

So what does that say about "Eye on it?" I will listen more closely to the preview samples and read the reviews from now on before buying. You no longer have me at "TobyMac."
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 6, 2014
At this point in time TobyMac has been a solo artist longer than he was part of the Christian supergroup, DC Talk. As a solo artist, he has recorded 5 studio albums, 3 remix projects, a live cd, and a christmas album. Although "Eye On It" is not his best work to date, this may be Toby's most accessible album in 27 years of producing music. I've had this album for almost two years now and although I initially was not a fan of this more radio-friendly TobyMac, I must say it has grown on me a lot and a handful of these songs are some of my favorite TobyMac songs.

"Steal My Show" is a slower tempo pop/rock song while "Lose Myself" is a piano ballad with a dub-step influenced chorus. Toby wears his heart on his sleeve when he sings lyrics like "So what is stirring in you / May it stir up in me / All the dreams that you placed inside me / Take all that you see and shape it to be / The story you're writing". One of the songs that I initially did not like, but has grown to be one of my favorite TobyMac songs is "Thankful For You". In the song, Toby reflects on his career as a musician and recognizes that God has opened every door. At this point in the album, 9 songs in, when you hear Toby sing "It's never been my dream / to see my face in magazines / It's always been about the music / hoping God would use it / to set some people free", you really believe him. The next song, "Made For Me", is the last strong track on the album. It doubles as a love song about his wife and a snapshot of their history. It gives us a unique glimpse of their personalities as well. It is upbeat but laid back, and has an Island vibe.

Other songs like "Me Without You", "Eye On It", "Speak Life", "Unstoppable", and "Favorite Song" are all catchy, upbeat, and fun but ultimately not as strong as the rest of the album. The only real complaint I have about this album is "Mac Daddy". It's essentially a song that is a conversation between Toby and his son, Truett, about how he wants a mac book. It is a really corny song that does not fit at all on the album. He was cute on Momentum and Diverse City but it stopped being cute after that.

Overall this is a solid release from TobyMac. It is more accessible than his previously releases, and that has definitely turned off some of his loyal fans, but it is undeniable that after 27 years TobyMac is still going strong.
on September 14, 2012
I purchased Eye On It a couple of days ago. As a huge fan of Toby's solo work (and, of course, dcTalk), I went into the album with high expectations. His previous work has always featured an eclectic mix of pop, soul, funk, hip-hop, and rock. But none of that is to be found here, and I am sorry to say that this is the first Toby album I am truly underwhelmed by.

The songs have WAY too much of an electronica/techno vibe to them. I know Toby has used electronics and samples since day one, and such sounds were used tastefully to great effect on past albums. But on this album the songs seem to rely exclusively on that, and I don't really think it works. I can barely hear the Diverse City band at all. And where in the world are the soulful backing vocals from Nirva Ready? She used to be featured quite prominently, but this time around I think I only heard two or three brief lines from her. (I was also going to inquire about the complete absence of ShonLock, but apparently he is no longer a part of the group.) The album as a whole sounds more like a continuation of his "Dubbed and Freq'd" project, only with new songs instead of remixes of previous ones.

The only songs (aside from Toby's son Truett's track anyway; more on that in a bit) that really stick out to me on this album are "Forgiveness" (Lecrae is an amazing talent), "Speak Life" (has an excellent chorus that is catchy without being cheesy like that in "Me Without You") and "Thankful For You," which has a great gospel-esque sound to it a la "Lose My Soul." The lyrics as a whole are fine but don't match the caliber of those found on previous albums, and some are just plain corny. For instance, on "Made For Me" Toby sings "But I like U2, and she like Coldplay." I get that the song is dedicated to his wife and is about how strong their love is despite their differences, but that just sounds awkward and was a real "huh?" moment for me. "Family" is the obligatory sentimental ballad; unfortunately, it tries too hard and ultimately flops, coming off as more sappy than meaningful. Truett's track, titled "Mac Daddy (Tru's Reality)" this time around, is great as usual. He's grown up a lot since his first couple of appearances, and it shows in his voice! Unfortunately, in my opinion anyway, this one track outshines most of what Toby does on the album. Will we hear a "TruDog" solo album one day? I'd certainly like to!

To sum up, Eye On It is not a bad album. It just isn't anything spectacular, either. The album simply does not come close to the genius of Toby's previous solo works, particularly Welcome To Diverse City and Portable Sounds. I can listen to those albums from start to finish without skipping one song. But no instant classics like "Irene," "J Train," "Catch-a-fire," "Diverse City," "One World," "Lose My Soul," "Start Somewhere," or "Changed Forever" are to be found here. There really is no, well, diversity to speak of, and I blame that on the overuse of electronics in the songs. Next time try to bring the other members of the band into play on the songs more, Toby. Save the excessive club beats and such for the next remix album. (Though I'm not sure I'd want to hear remixes of these lackluster songs anyway.)

As a big fan of Toby's I couldn't bring myself to give the album 2 stars, and unfortunately half-stars aren't possible. So a 3 it is. I would have been willing to wait another handful of months, or perhaps even until early next year (which would have been three years after the release of Tonight) for a higher quality and more varied album. If you're new to Toby, I do not recommend starting with this album, even if you have heard "Me Without You" on the radio and enjoy it. Start with his first album, Momentum (2001), and work your way up. That path will give you a much better glimpse into Toby's progress in artist. Unfortunately, Eye On It is a step back.
on August 29, 2012

If I had to sum up Toby's most recent album in one sentence, it would be "It's Not About Me... It's All About Him". I've purchased every album Toby has released from Momentum forward including all the remixes. I felt that a few songs on his last album "Tonight" were a bit of a letdown, but you don't find that at all here.

Buy this without hesitation!

If you're still reading, here's my take on the individual songs...

Me Without You - (5 out of 5) Examines where he would be if God wasn't his Savior. Awesome beat and I love the line "I'd be building my kingdom just to watch it fade away, that's me without You." So true.

Steal My Show - (4 out of 5) Mellow tune about submitting all you do to Him and His will. Never been a big fan of the background noise intro, though I can see how it contributes to the song.

Eye On It - (5 out of 5) Awesome workout/running song. Paul talks about keeping your eyes on the prize of eternal life with God and that is reflected here.

Forgiveness feat. LeCrae - (5 out of 5) One of the best songs on the album in my opinion. LeCrae (who is an amazing solo artist in his own right) jams with Toby on this smooth track that reminds us that we all have sinned... and nothing is sweeter than the day we call out to God for forgiveness.

Speak Life - (4.5 out of 5) This fun tune reminds us that everything we say impacts others, for good or for worse.

Unstoppable feat. Blanca - (5 out of 5) Another great song for your workout/running list. Classic T-Mac, a good beat with great lyrics. "We make our moves in mysterious ways, we'd rather burn up than stick to the shade... Not of this world so we live on the run, we got our hearts set on what is to come. We are UNSTOPPABLE!"

Lose Myself - (4 out of 5) The piano intro and solos are sweet! Reminds me of an old school, DC Talk-style, song. I have to "Lose myself to find you".

Family - (4.5 out of 5) There WILL BE a time in your marriage when you question if it's really worth it. It is. If you love your spouse the way God tells you to, it truly is. "It's not too late to say, Father show us the way... to fight for what we got 'cuz you believe... in family."

Thankful for You - (4 out of 5) A song about trusting God to open the right doors and having the courage to step through them.

Made for Me - (5 out of 5) I have to pause here for a moment and give mad props to Toby for including this song about how much he loves his wife. Lecrae (who is featured earlier on the song Forgiveness) did the same thing on his recent mix-tape album 'Church Clothes'. Some people will just skip over these as "love songs"... but I think everyone, and men especially, need to listen to how these guys cherish the gift they have of getting to live everyday in a God-centered relationship with their wives.

Mac Daddy (Tru's Reality) - (4 out of 5) Tru (Toby's son) is really starting to become a good rapper on his music... but would you expect anything else from someone who's been making rhymes and beats since he was a baby? Don't miss the respect he gives his father at the end when asked a question... "Yes sir!"

Favorite Song feat Jamie Grace - (4 out of 5) A melody about dwelling richly in the presence and word of God.

Remixes are truly a personal thing... sometimes you love them, other times you don't.

Me Without You (Capital Kings Remix) - (5 out of 5) Takes the album verison and mixes things up without being a huge departure from what makes the original great. Seems to be just a little slower tempo, but still great.

Steal My Show (Jack Shocklee Remix) - (5 out of 5) I like this remix a lot better than the album version because it adds a really good beat to the song and brings it up just a notch so I can use it in my workout/running playlist.

Lose Myself (Capital Kings Remix) - (3.5 out of 5) The loss of the piano really kills this mix for me.

Family (Jamie Moore Remix) - (3.5 out of 5) Again, substituting a synthesizer for piano just doesn't feel right to me for such stirring lyrics. This is still a very beautiful song, but I really like the album version better.

LoudNClear (Telemitry Remix) - (4 out of 5) You have to go back to the album 'Tonight' and listen to the original verison where TruDog had a "freestyle battle" with his younger brother to get a really good comparison. I like the beat on the original song, but it was way too short. This version mixes it up and lengthens it, but you miss out on the really funny exchange in the original...

Me Without You (Telemitry Remix) - (5 out of 5) This mix is hot and an awesome way to end the album. It takes the original and really steps it up. There is a heavy dose of DubStep in this mix, so get ready!

OVERALL: 5 out of 5
TobyMac knocked this one out of the park! Don't wait, buy this and start listening now!
on May 5, 2013
I can't really decide how I think of this album as a whole, so I will review and rate each song out of 10.
01. "Me Without You" (8/10) Toby said at one point in some interview that Christian music is mostly about how your life is like with God in your life, but he decided to see the flipside of that and explain what his life would be like today without God. It was a track he had written but never released before, and I think added it as a filler for this album. It is, I think, the most played song throughout radios and churches worldwide. I know our youth group rocks out to it every Wednesday night.
02. "Steal My Show" (10/10) I'll admit, I'm being a little selfish with this rating. This song is the strongest of the album. It has a good rhythm to it, and it is also a really good message about how he's willing to let God "steal his show." I don't really have much else to say about it, so I'm just gonna shut up now on it before I end up rambling and lecturing.
03. "Eye On It" (7/10) Title tracks usually really aren't the highlight of the albums, at all. In most cases, the title tracks are the weakest songs (for example, Shania Twain's "UP!" got a lot of radio play, but it was probably the weakest on the album. The exception to this would have to be Britt Nicole's "Gold"), but this song still has its strengths, even as a weaker addition to Diverse City. It's worth the play, and it's good for a little dance, but it's not the top-played song of the album.
04. "Forgiveness" (10/10) TobyMac and LaCrae singing together! This song is about how we all make mistakes, and we all have to call out for forgiveness. This is the strongest track of the album, at least in my opinion. In an album full of fun, dancing and rocking out, this is the serious track that evens out the fun and the worship. I love it!
05. "Speak Life" (6/10) Well, this song didn't really spark much interest in me for some reason, I don't really know why, but I didn't like it.
06. "Unstoppable" (7/10) This song is extremely overplayed, to the point where it's no longer tolerable, but I'll give a review of it from the mindset of the first time I heard it: I've heard better songs from him, but this song is really good, especially good for playing a competitive game, for some reason, and that's the song our youth group always uses when there's a competitive game going on.
07. "Lose Myself" (7/10) Another song I don't really have much to say about. It would have been a good song, but he kept it going for too long (duration-wise). He was bringing the song to a close (when I first heard the CD), and I thought "Thank God, moving on" but the song picked right back up. Must have happened at least 3 times.
08. "Family" (5/10) Remember how I said about having a nice serious song every now and then? Well this one is just a pain in my ears. Sorry, Toby, I can't say I liked that one.
09. "Thankful For You" (10/10) Nice beat, nice lyrics, great song for if you want to dance like an idiot! I would recommend this song if you're a new TobyMac fan or looking for a way to make your evening more fun!
10. "Made For Me" (1/10) The weakest song of the album. I get that he's got a little relationship story going on there, but he really doesn't need something like that on an album that is a so-called "Christian" album. The fact that this would be "Christian" is very subliminal. He speaks the name of God once, very briefly "I thank God every day," just throwing that line in there so it can be called "Christian" doesn't work. Sorry, Toby!
11. "Mac Daddy (Tru's Reality) (3/10) I really am not against Toby inviting his child into the picture to sing, because it is good to help him get discovered as a musician, and it opens doors for a career, but this song isn't Christian. Not even close. It's basically, from what I can understand, about buying and owning a MacBook. Besides, everybody knows Windows is better! Duh! Anyway, all jokes aside, this song isn't very good, but TruDog really is a good rapper and has a good future ahead of him.
12. "Favorite Song" (6/10) Great song, bad way to end an album. And Jamie Grace brings the ratings down a little for this song. I'm sorry but I really don't like her music. She's annoying. If you disagree, need I remind you of, "I'm a God Girl, that's who I'll be..." that annoying earsore??? Anyway, it's another dance song that has nothing to do with God.

THE VERDICT: This album wasn't bad, but it could have been better. The star rating is based on the average of these tracks all put together. It would average out approx. 85% when you do the math, which is why it's a 4-starrer.
on April 28, 2013
I don't want to hate Eye on It, I really don't, but every time I listen to it, I just don't feel right. Before I continue though, yeah I'm a huge fan of Toby. To this day DC Talk remains my favorite Christian band, (just one of my favorite bands in general really) and Toby has always been my favorite member. Momentum and Welcome to Diverse City were great albums (Diverse City still being my favorite Toby album to date) Portable Sounds was good, adding some new elements to the mix. Although Tonight was a bit more poppy than the others it was still a fun and good blend of hip-hop, rock, pop and r&b.

But then we have Eye on It, which is the odd one of the bunch. I don't hate it but it isn't the best Toby album. It goes from his normal formula to bubbly pop tunes. I figured I'd go through each track and express my view on them. Overall I want to address both sides of the issue. Those who love it and those who hate it, and that is what I'm going to attempt to do.

1. Me Without You- Very disappointing first single, compared to others. But not bad overall. It reminds me of Katy Perry and this might be the poppiest thing Toby has ever done, and will ever do...well, we'll see. Simplistic and blunt but not a bad song.

2. Steal My Show- Hammers in a personal prayer of mine for years, especially being part of a band. I want God to take what we do and make itno something we could never do. Very blunt, as well but a great message, still kind of upsetting though we go from a pop song to a slow song on a Toby Mac album...

3. Eye On It - Easily the best song on the album. Although this isn't Extreme Days kind of hype, it still makes me want to run! This is easily in my top 10 Toby songs now.

4. Forgiveness - Another slower song, but another favorite of mine. Lecrae is featured...but only for 8 bars, but I guess it's better to have him than not at all. It's good to hear Toby rap (because sadly now it's a special occasion to hear him rap.) Great message on how we all as sinners need forgiveness. No real problems with the lyrics and a great song to play.

5. Speak Life- Another favorite of mine, could easily be in my top 5 favorites of the album, slower yes, but a good message ( i just gets me purified and uplifted really) and no real problems here.

6. Unstoppable- A faster song, fun to dance to, but at the same time it's not as good as Eye on It. A great Running Song. It isn't as poppy as the previous songs but it's still there. I mean the pop is all over, but here it's less. Blanca from Group 1 Crew is also featured. ( Anyone else notice she is featured on EVERYTHING these days?)

7.Lose Myself- An okay song. No real problem with the lyrics. The chorus has one of the best melodies that Toby has created. Its good pop for me. Especially since I am VERY picky with pop music these days because mostly today, it's bad

8. Family- Easily the worst song on the album. Subject matter is great, I'm not a heartless person, but it is my least favorite song by Toby ever. Several hints of Bono is in this song. The musical direction was bad. Not a bad subject, but since this is on a Toby Mac album, I'm shocked this made the final cut on the album. If this had been on another artists album, and Toby was featured, sure, but this a TOBYMAC album, so it amazes me, this made the album.

9. Thankful for You- It is the Diverse City, Feelin So Fly, Funky Jesus Music song on the album, no cheese factor like the other Diverse City Wannabes... But this is good. Real Good.

10. Made for Me- Main problem, the chorus. It isn't catchy and this might be a track to skip in later playings. The bridge also has some cheese lyrics in the bridge. It's a love song, but Toby is more creative than this, we've seen it. We know he can do better. I know pop is simplistic, but I've seen Toby do SO much better.

11. Tru-dog- not funny, hes older now, so his voice is not funny anymore. But him wanting a mac, it's not that funny. eh, but it is cool to listen to the Tru-Dogs in order. But this is the worst Tru-Dog in my opinion.

12. Favorite Song- Good Song, Why? It's catchy. If Toby wants to do pop, make it catchy and this is. It features Toby's prodigy, Jamie Grace and its a fun song. It's catchy which I say this for not only this song but the whole album... If he wants to do pop, fine, but He needs help in the lyric department.

Overall, It's a catchy album. The best? No. But fun. Sure people like me might be upset because it's all pop, and I get it. But is it worth getting yeah, but if I was introducing someone to Toby Mac, this would not be the album I"d use to start the exposure. I hope this isn't the permanent direction, but unfortunately it more in likely is. But I am a fan and I will support him. But If you are new to Toby Mac, I would recommend an older album first. (WELCOME TO DIVERSE CITY!!!)

It is impressive, compared to the other Dc Talk members that Toby continues to hold his own with this album. Especially with it being the 3rd Christian album ever to be number 1 on the billboard charts. Even though it isn't the best, it is still a fun Jesus centered album that is a fun one to listen to.
on September 22, 2012
I bought this for my kids... and me :) Another great album from TobyMac. I love having something to play in the van we can enjoy listening to and is uplifting at the same time.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse