Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Eye On It
Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 1, 2012
How does he keep doing it?
It's been way too long coming, but TobyMac delvers another great album that was worth the wait! I am continually surprised when an artist delivers great material time and time again, and TobyMac is an excellent example. I've been a TobyMac fan since the early days of dcTalk and it's great to hear what first attracted me to dcTalk and hip-hop sounds back in the early 90s grow and mature and Toby continues to evolve his sound in a way that fits in to the changing mainstream. Christian artists can get a lot of flack for "ripping off" mainstream artists, but Toby's blend of hip-hop, R&B, and Soul - and lately, electronic influences - keep him sounding fresh amidst artists who fall in to genres rather than defy them.
It's also great to hear Toby's son yet again on this album - he's been guesting in songs since he could barely put words together and now here he is on "Mac Daddy" sounding much older and like a lil' T-Mac himself! I'm looking forward to seeing if TruDog gets his own solo album.
Lyrically, TobyMac hasn't digressed at all - if anything, his lyrics have also continued to mature as he delivers line after line of fun, thoughtful, and even introspective lyrics all while maintaining the message that Christ is King.
on September 21, 2012
It's obvious that Toby has taken some creative tangents on this record as compared to his work on Momentum and even some of her later releases. One can hardly blame him. Moving away from rap/hip hop towards more of a pop sound was probably inevitable considering what gets played on the radio and what becomes hits. While older fans long for the rap of days gone by, the mainstream Christian consumer obviously likes the pop sound. The fact that this album debuted at #1 on Billboard (the first Christian album to do so in 15 years) proves that fact.

If you can put aside your feelings about what you maybe hoped the album would sound like and listen to it for what it is, you'll love it. All the classic Tobymac sound is there. Sure, it's a little poppish in places and there's not a ton of hard rap, but what Toby does, he does well. It won't take long before you'll be singing the hooks right along with him and enjoying this album every bit as much as you have his previous albums.

For fans of Toby's more pop sounding songs, this album has everything you'd ever want. There's at least half a dozen songs that should be #1 on the radio. It'll be a crime if he doesn't release Favorite Song which he does with Jamie Grace. Overall, this album is a solid effort that will probably gain many more fans than it loses.
on August 27, 2015
Got this for my son, who loves it. Back when Jefferson Airplane was singing "feed your head." they may have been talking about something else, but I believe you need to put good things, good ideas into your head. And guard against the other stuff. This is filled with catchy songs for everyone to love. And the rhythms are both American and Jamaican. One of these songs is very reminiscent of the 1970s stuff from Stevie Wonder.
on May 28, 2013
I bought this CD because of the songs 'Steal my Show' and 'Me Without You'. I'm glad I went ahead and got the whole CD and not just those two songs. My kids love the CD. They love the songs and that's all we've been hearing over the weekend. It is amazing how fast they have learned their favorite songs. Note they are 5,3, and 2. I love that it is music I don't have to censor and find clean versions of but that still has catchy beats and lyrics. It makes me smile to hear my kids walking around asking God to steal their show proclaiming him as a rock star.
2 people found this helpful
on March 24, 2014
I enjoy all of Toby's music. This was the first album I couldn't sing every song outloud to...He has too many contradictions in this album. Speak Life... great! But then the debut title eye on it-has lyrics about our heart pumping like a heart-attack...while working out-I don't need to hear all of that. I left Portable Sounds and Tonight in playing until the next release. I picked out a few good ones...Forgiveness is right on.
on September 21, 2012
I was sorely disappointed by TobyMac's new album. The songs lack depth that I have grown accustomed. It seems like he is trying too hard to keep up with the growing trends in music and the lyrics are suffering. And no offense to his son, but I can do without him on every album. Mac Daddy is the worst, most self centered song ever! I have every TobyMac album and most DCTalk albums. I am a super fan of his and will go see him live soon, but I pray he will not perform any of the music from this album. I gave it three stars because it has a few good songs, like Unstoppable.
on May 9, 2018
Our family's favorite TobyMac CD! Our favorites are Unstoppable and Eye on It. My new favorite is Lose Myself.
on October 23, 2012
You just can't go wrong with Toby Mac ~ music that gets you excited about life, God & the music is always AWESOME! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Some people may say it is rap music, but I call the rap fitting for the songs (not every one)that it is in & it is inspiration & will reach the younger crowd that seriously needs these messages. I'm over 50 & I love-love-love his music! Listen & you will SEE!
on November 19, 2012
I REALLY enjoy songs like Eye On It, Unstoppable and Me Without You. However most of the rest of the CD just seems to be songs he wrote based on whatever he was thinking at the moment. Not very impressed with most of this album.

That said, the few good songs are definitely worth it. They are very good, and I find myself listening to them over and over in my shuffle.
on October 30, 2014
Even though I am an older person, I love this CD. TobyMac has done an amazing job in both words and music, to bring about a wonderful testimony of his faith. I think young and old alike will reap great benefits from listening to his work, which incidentally, he gives all glory and credit to God. Pretty unique in this day and age I would say.