Top positive review
48 people found this helpful
Solid release but lacks a little....diversity ?
on August 28, 2012
I have been a big Toby fan since the 90's when DC Talk ruled the Christian airways. Toby's solo releases have always been exciting and fun and each has had it's own unique sound yet they have all shared one thing in common; diversity. Eye On It, Toby's fifth offering still brings the upbeat beats that Tmac fans love and expect but seems to lack some of the style variations that have always given Toby his own flavor. Lyrically this albm is a step up. Toby seems to be getting a little more direct with his Christian songs which is something I appreciate very much. I have listened through this album twice now and really do like it and you probably will too!
1. Me Without You: The first single that has seen a ton of radio play definitely reflects the current popular electro-pop flare. The message is solid and the I can see why it was his choice as a single.
2. Steal My Show: A cool song with a nice even flow that reflects Toby's desire for the Lord's leading in his life. If you liked "Background" by lecrae this song will sit quite well with you.
3. Eye On It: I am quite surprised that this song didn't feature a member of Family Force 5 as it sounds like something they would do. Different and not my favorite song but still upbeat and fun with lots of electronic flare.
4. Forgiven: A highly anticipated song featuring the popular Christian rapper Lecrae, this song is one of the highlights of the album and WILL see radio play. It's a good combo as Toby sings about the joys of being forgiven and Lecrae actually tells you where to find it (Jesus), lol.
5. Speak Life: Another one of the stand-outs on the album with a great message and distinct Toby flavor. Upbeat and easy to listen to, don't be surprised to smile and bob your head when this one comes on the shuffle.
6. Unstoppable: Definitely one of the few very diverse songs on the album. An interesting synergy of electronic synthesis with a rock-driven chorus. Blanca from G1C adds some great background vocals and the message is a great one that is getting more common as the church continues to come under scrutiny by the culture.
7. Lose Myself: Not my favorite on the album but still a solid song that I think will grow on me. The chorus is cool and the message is clear and direct. We must decrease and He must increase.
8. Family: The albums token slow-song ballad with a solid message that should make some people think. This one will probably be overlooked by most but will really hit a few and I am sure God will use its message in a big way in their lives.
9. Thankful For You: One of my favorites on the album with a very Tobymac flavor. Very reflective of Toby's career and a message that most "veteran" Christians will really connect with. Love the transition between the slower verses and the super upbeat chorus.
10. Made For Me: Toby's tribute to his wife. Fine song that I sure she appreciates but one you'll probably skip.
11. Mac Daddy: Truet is back and sounds like a man! Funny song (as usual). It will be interesting to see if Truet follows his father's footsteps. (Tip, listen to each Truet song chronologically. You'll get a kick out of this audible growth chart.
12. Favorite Song: Surprising closer featuring the popular Jamie Grace. Fine song but a bit generic. Didn't really stand out to me but your millage may vary.
Hope this review was helpful!