Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on March 20, 2015
I never really read anything by Phil Dick before. This is my first foray into his work. This story was okay, but I was expecting more. I mainly got attracted to it because of the title, which makes the book seem like it will be something extravagant. In actuality nothing much really happens. It's mainly about 8 or 9 characters that keep moving from one parallel world to another, and they have to figure out who's responsible for creating that world in order to have a chance at escaping it. Reading this book, one can imagine where the creators of the TV show "Sliders" got their ideas from.

But, the main difference is that in this book, the results of being harmed in those parallel worlds are inconsequential. Eg., if someone gets hurt or killed in one of those worlds, he/she will still be alive in the next one. So, it's mainly a story of character growth being achieved by the main character Jack Hamilton through his experiences passing through these various worlds, which I believe are 4 in total. It does also contain a bit of a mystery element, in the sense that we're not sure if Hamilton's wife is a communist or not until the very end. This book seems to be strongly critical of American Government and some of it's logic. And those criticisms are true ones; so for that I can give this story some plaudits.

But, the main problem I had with it is that it is a bit juvenile in its telling, and the "Eye in the Sky" references are minimal and had little to do with the story. In all this is a decent morality tale where criticisms of American thinking abound, but seeming to be geared toward a 7th or 8th grade audience rather than to grownups. If the story had a more serious tone to it, I may have given it more stars. It's still worth the bother if you have the time, but it's not something immensely intellectual like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.
on July 24, 2012
To be as precise as possible, this novel rocked! For years, I was only reading post-50s novels by Philip K Dick. Everything from THE THREE STIGMATA OF PALMER ELDRITCH to FLOW MY TEARS, THE POLICEMAN SAID, and rarely, was I disappointed. The man was the most reliably brilliant sci-fi writer of his times. His sci-fi was always different, too. He took on social issues, race issues in America, international affairs, all crossing over into the classic elements of science-fiction. I finally gave his 1950's catalogue a try, and once again, I've read something I love.

EYE IN THE SKY. This book was great, and feels so under-appreciated. How did PKD manage to keep his work dark, yet compelling? Hilarious, yet nerve-wrecking? undreamed of, yet educational? Not only do you learn a lot when you read any PKD novel, be it about history or physics, or German (even Latin, at times), but you can completely grasp the images he punches into his typewriter. He never really revised his work, just went with his gut, and told the story as precisely as possible. A method which has its pros and cons, but for Phil, it managed to work out perfect, because his stories are a joy to read. His criticism of America for its time is very edgy, and his curiosity for science and its way of bringing us together (and in this novel's case, you can't get much closer!) was ahead of its time.

I plan on reading more of Philip K Dick's 50s work. And I already know I'll be rereading EYE IN THE SKY in the distant future.

Also, a plus for the gorgeous cover by MARINER publishing. There were a few typos here and there, but they weren't big enough to stray any reader away.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2012
Jack Hamilton is about to start his dream job in nuclear physics, when things begin to go wrong. Seems his wife is accused of having "communist" sympathies. Remember, this was in the 1950s. Before that can be resolved, disaster strikes--some type of accident at the Belmont Bevatron particle accelerator. Jack and Marsha and six others are involved in a freak accident, and wake up in a strange new world--an alternate reality. And not only that, but a succession of other alternate realities. And each of these explores some profound questions about reality itself. What is reality? Do we create it in our own image? Is there really a God out there? Is Marsha really a communist? Will Jack get the job? Will he survive? You have to read the book to find out.

A string of unlikely and disturbing episodes illumines these and other deep questions. Things get more than scary. The issues of the 1950s are a little different from those of the 2000s, or are they? A novel of ideas, Eye In The Sky will make you think. What would Jack experience today in the same unlikely situation? How would you fare in these unimaginable worlds?

Author PKD is a classic sci fi author from the golden age of the genre. His writing is straight-forward, punchy, unpretentious. If you like novels that make you think, if you've always wondered about where your own reality comes from, you will love this little book. I'm glad it's been reissued and I recommend it highly. Reviewed by Louis N. Gruber.
on January 3, 2013
I'm about 60-years-old and have been a fan of Philip K. Dick's fiction ever since I was a teen and bought a paperback of his Dr. Bloodmoney from a local news stand.

Of all the books of his that I've read, Eye in the Sky is my favorite. Here's why:

Nobody played the alternate universe (or reality) theme better than he did.

Eye in the Sky brilliantly explored our reality through the eyes of several different people who each had their own viewpoint (sometimes clouded by mental illness) and, with a grim humor, he elucidated those realities and the terrors that the others protagonists -- trapped in such alternate universes -- felt, went through.

While this book wasn't as subtle about alternate realities as others of his were (Man in the High Castle, Three Stigmata, Martian Time-Slip), it is in many ways more enjoyable because you know what is about to occur - a new reality - but not what idiosyncrasies it will contain because of the neurosis of the "creator" of that reality.

A great novel.

Okay, my only gripe and also the only reason I didn't give it five stars instead of four: It's overpriced. Charging almost $10 dollars for a half-century-old book is just greed on the part of the publisher or Dick's legatees. Having said that, well, I still paid the price of admission because I had sold my old Ace paperback version of it a few years ago when I needed some money and since then . . . I've wanted to read it again. That says a lot about a novel. I guess I'm a hypocrite!

So, aside from price, this is a wonderful read.
on September 11, 2015
I had never read anything by PKD before but after this, I definitely plan to. I read it in one sitting. As someone who's read a lot of Asimov, it started out very similar to what I'm used to, a straight forward detective story with sci fi elements. It quickly warps into a reality bending journey. It actually made me laugh out loud a couple times. Basically PKD uses this book to crack jokes and bring up arguments against religion, racism, and either communism or American's being paranoid of communism during the time it was written (I couldn't tell on my first read which). The ending I found a little boring but thats the only negative thing I really have to say about it.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2011
This may be Phillip Dick's most underrated novel. Never mind that the plot is predicated on fantasy science. The label of sci-fi writer was a misfit from (this) beginning. Dick's interests were too wide to be confined to the gadgetry-to-come tunnel vision of the future. Even the contemporaneous McCarthyism of the 1950s becomes mere subtext for a provocatively insightful adventure into the human psyche--more like an Aesopian fable than a tour of future science.

What would life be like if the universe actually worked in the diverse ways it is commonly imagined to function? Dick projects a sequence of these perspectives upon a grand stage.

As accidental mastery of the universe tumbles haphazardly through the victims of a malfunctioning nuclear collider, we watch their dysfunctional worlds unravel in hilarious ways. In a quasi-biblical world of a cult zealot your car's user manual contains automotive prayers for mechanical malfunctions. The paranoid's universe is peopled with (literally) venomous plotters, the middle-aged dowager cleanses her planet of everything she finds repellent; the closet Leninist's world comes alive with preposterously caricatured revolution.

Reading "Eye in the Sky" in 1957 in high school, most of it went over my head, but it left a residue of insightful perspectives that took years to bloom. (It also ended my adolescent addiction to stories about space ships & death rays.) Every rereading since has been more enjoyable. And it provided this useful reality check for later life: "How well would my own conception of reality hold up if were displayed as vividly as those in Dick's novel?"
on January 18, 2017
Great read. If you love PKD like I do you should read it. An unexpected turn with every page (I added that last part just to fill the review requirement for number of words).
on May 19, 2009
Eye in the sky remains one of Dick's more interesting works because of the attention to detail and well-drawn characters. The book itself is definitely a 3.5 to 4 star story.

The Kindle edition, on the other hand, has a number of annoying typos, on average about one every screen or so. While not really stopping the story, they do cause the reader pause whenever one appears. "What was that word supposed to be?" Perhaps someone will take the time to proofread for the next edition, especially since this isn't a free book. Admittedly, 9.99 isn't much, but for the price you would think more care would be taken in the presentation.
on April 28, 2017
I love it.
on April 9, 2010
this is my favorite philip k dick so far. i'm not a fan of space travel/androids and the like usually but i do enjoy dick's work. this one, despite the slightly odd beginning, is my favorite because it reminds me of something they would have shown on the twilight zone. it makes you think more and relies more on character development and your imagination than on weird space names and sci-fi terms i didn't understand. i liked 'do androids dream of electric sheep' but even before i saw the movie it was too predictable. this one, like i said, is twilight-zone inspiring.