Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 28, 2013
Unlike some other reviewers, I did not have any trouble removing the thread protector from my Panasonic LX7. This EzFoto adapter ring threads on easily enough, and the EzFoto adapter ring goes on easily and fills up some of the air gap between the inner, telescoping lens barrel and the outer, fixed barrel. But the EzFoto adapter ring and filter protrude from the front of the camera a few millimeters. When the EzFoto lens cap is attached, the resulting assembly is fairly thick, much thicker than the original lens cap. Also note that the EzFoto lens cap is attached to the EzFoto filter and adapter ring, which are threaded onto the inner, telescoping lens barrel. That means that if the camera takes a hit on the front, the impact is transmitted to the inner, telescoping lens barrel. (And the EzFoto lens cap comes with a small tether, but it is not at all clear how the tether is to be attached to the lens cap: the hole in the lens cap is much too small.)

The original Panasonic lens cap, when attached to the camera, does not have enough room underneath for an adaptor ring and protective filter. But the original lens cap has the advantage that it locks into the outer, fixed barrel around the lens. It does not stick out very far. And it completely covers the air gap between the inner, telescoping barrel and the outer fixed barrel. And if the lens cap takes a hit, the impact is transmitted to the outer, fixed barrel and not to the telescoping inner barrel. The risk to using the original lens cap is, of course, that the lens could get scratched.

But in my last 25 years of using various kinds of cameras, I have never scratched a lens. My wife is very careful with the camera. When our 6-year-old son takes a picture with the LX7, even he is very careful to not touch the lens. The lens has gotten dirty, because we use the camera in a lot of fun situations, like at the beach on a windy day. But I have usually been able to simply blow off the dust with a squeeze bulb. The one time that the lens needed more than that, I used FormulaMC cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean it very carefully. It came out looking like new. Our LX7 is a family camera, and we have fun with it and do not obsess over it, and yet the lens remains in perfect condition.

So I don't think a protective filter is necessary. If one wants to attach some other kind of filter for special effects, then this EzFoto kit would be essential.

So I opted to return this EzFoto kit and keep using the original Panasonic lens cap.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on February 22, 2013
..I cannot review this product completely as I have not been able to install it on my LX7 camera. You would think that in this day and age, that developers and suppliers of grey or black market camera accessories could at least include some type of detailed directions for their product. Including Easy Photo. Granted, the 37mm Filter Adapter Ring that is suppose to replace the single-side threaded factory barrel ring, looks to be perfectly made. The Pro-1D Super Slim Super Multi-Coated UV Filter fits perfectly on the adapter ring as expected, as does the 37mm lens cap.
..again, my only bone of contention with Easy Photo is the lack of specific directions as just how to get the factory ring off. God knows I have tried everything, several times. I will have to take it to a camera service center in Tucson Az this week and see if they are willing to assist me without charging me an arm and a leg, or signing papers avowing them of any responsibility for damage caused to the camera.
***Post Installation Comments***
..after many unsuccessful attempts at removing the small end-barrel ring, success at last. Unable to secure a simple jar opening rubber pad at my neighborhood Target and Safeway, I found my 46 inch red stretch rubber excercise bands. After reading a fellow LX-7 enthusiast's attempts on Digital Camera Review ([...]) I made a similiar contraption of my own. Here we go,..: Take off the lens cover, turn on the camera, lens extends, remove the battery. Use a 1x6 inch piece of the band and stretch/wrap it around the barrel for grip. (don't twist the barrel, hold the barrel firmly, without actually holding the camera, you do not want to twist the camera barrel while holding the camera) Using another 3x6 inch piece of for the end-barrel ring, hold the lens barrel end ring "only" and struggle and twist. Eventually it will snap and twist off, using somwehat powerful but delicate motions. Obviously this barrel ring was put on by a machine. No human would ever put a ring on this tight. That or the powder-coated painted threads adhered to themselves.
..that said and done, I am very pleased with the filter adapter ring construction and the super slim UV lens fit and finish. Also the lens cap included a nice braided string that attaches to the lens cap.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
1616 comments|Report abuse
on May 6, 2013
There's nothing wrong with the quality of this and it works just as well as the Panasonic digital camera options filter adapter Kit DMW-FA1, at far lower cost. It does not come with a lens cap, as the Panasonic does, but a substitute can be acquired cheaply -- for instance Everydaysource Camera Lens Cap , 37mm Black.

I did spend the money for a (very expensive) genuine Panasonic digital camera options PL filter DMW-LPLA37 polarizing filter rather than one of the cheaper alternatives because the LPLA37 (but not the Panasonic DMW-LPL37 37mm Circular Polarizer Filter) is made to be very thin so that it doesn't cause vignetting at wide angles.

Many have complained that it was impossible to unscrew the thread protector from the front of the lens so that the adaptor may be attached in its place. The problem is that it's all but impossible to get a good enough grip on the small, smooth protector. The solution is a rubber grip pad, such as Fox Run Rubber Jar Opener.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2014
This is a good idea that needs refinement.
The kit makes the camera substantially thicker -- instead of a pocketable point-and-shoot you enter the 4/3 or mirrorless range. Even with its original lens cap the LX7 is somewhat large, but with this kit you may be looking for a purse, hard case, or camera bag, which makes the camera even bulkier and more conspicuous. The UV filter gives extra protection for the fine Leica lens and protects it from dust, salt spray, buildup, and scratches but I won't throw away the original assembly. This kit's lens cap adds leverage to any blow the camera lens assembly takes, which means minor bumps and bruises have a greater risk of damaging the camera. It also does not look as attractive as the original lens cover.

Is it easy to lose the lens cap? Yes, it can be. My slippery string came undone twice with a surgeon's knot, so I would suggest putting a double knot in each end of the cord -- that way, when it comes loose it won't fall off completely.

Is it difficult to remove Panasonic's original lens guard? Apparently, Panasonic listened to its customers because the new cameras even come with instructions on how to remove the adapter. It's easy to do as long as you apply very LIGHT steady pressure -- applying even a small amount too much force will distort the thin adapter ring just enough to interfere with removal.
on May 8, 2013
Like a number of reviewers (and, if google results are any indication, a great many other owners of this camera), I had difficulty removing the LX7's thread protection ring. Panasonic/Leica cinched it on there extremely tight, presumably so it wouldn't ever just shake loose on its own. But rest assured, it *does* come off.

What worked for me was putting on a latex glove and using all 5 fingers. That is, instead of grasping the ring with just the tips of the thumb and index finger or thumb, index, and middle fingers, grasp it with all 5. Between the latex and the 5 contact points, you get enough grip to actually break the thing loose. In fact, mine came off quite easily once I tried that.

With that out of the way . . . this kit pretty much is what it says it is. The filter it includes isn't fantastic, but you can't really expect it to be for this price. You can always get a nice B+W and use this one as an emergency backup. The lens cap is easier to put on and take off than the one that comes with the camera, so that's nice. On the other hand, the bit of black string they include to tether it to the camera isn't incredibly useful. (Not sure how they expect you to close the loop. Tie a knot? Tape?)
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on August 7, 2013
This item gets five stars from me because it is a good value for the price. Each of the three items included may not be ultimate top quality, but for the price they are pretty good. The lens adapter ring fits perfectly and the included UV filter appears to be of fairly good quality, although I wouldn't say it's "Super Slim" as described in the listing. I made a few test shots with and without the UV filter in place and do not see any difference in the quality of the images. You can always replace it with a better B+W or Hoya filter if you want. The lens cap is the weakest component of the group, it's just not as nice as the one that comes with the camera. If you want to use filters with your LX-7 this kit is a thrifty alternative to the insanely priced kit that Panasonic offers.
2 helpful votes
on February 4, 2013
When I purchased my Lumix DMC-LX7 camera, Amazon recommended purchasing a $44 lens kit that included various filters, an auto lens cover, 2x and .5x adapter, etc. With the $44 kit, the auto lens cover wouldn't work if any of the kit's other components were installed, the .5x adapter was useless, the camera's lens cap wouldn't work with any of the accessories, etc. I returned it.

On the other hand, this minimalist kit was designed with the user in mind. It is perfect for those who are looking for simply UV elimination and lens protection. The stock lens cap will no longer work with the filter applied, so they include a functional lens cap. Actually, Panasonic's lens-accessory strategy for the DMC-LX is poor, and this kit works around the problems in a user-friendly way.

With the adapter and filter applied, the addition creates a minimal short-barrel lens shade, which could be helpful on some occasions.
on July 28, 2017
I love it.
on March 18, 2015
Works as described. I was able to take the old ring off of my Panasonic LX7, screw this on, and screwed my polarizer right onto it.
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 20, 2013
I put this set through the paces on a recent trip to Africa where I was using my Lumix dx7 for street photography. Excellent results. I installed the adapter ring, which makes the lens protrude slightly, but no worries - it still functions perfectly with adapter, filter and cap. Turns on/off smoothly.
Filter showed excellent properties and is ESSENTIAL to protect the lens.
Cap is high quality and stays on, easy to remove.
Good 5 star product