Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on March 10, 2017
Fun to play.
on March 23, 2006
Installation was time consuming but went smoothly on a Dell Inspiron 9300 with Win Media Center Edition, but the game pauses slightly, periodically making me wait briefly for the game to catch up. The theme and game play are reminiscent of Half-Life. Except for the occasional choice of which area to explore first, which usually makes little difference in the end result, the game play seems linear. If you like searching rooms for items and alternate routes, interspersed with run and gun sequences and a few puzzles, you would probably like FEAR. Since I rate the game 4 out of 5, and I enjoyed Half-Life for a while, you can tell that I am easily entertained. The graphics are pretty good even on the notebook screen, but time to headache was considerably longer while using an external monitor with a large screen.
on March 4, 2007
Overall, this seems like a fun game. The AI is quite good (enemies will hide from you when under attack, they will yell out "flashlight" if they see your flashlight, etc.). Read other reviews if you're interested in the game play.

My biggest gripe is that it really taxes my system. I'm about halfway through, but I'm about ready to call it quits because my system keeps freezing up when I play it. I have a 2.66 ghz Pentium 4, 1 gb of RAM and a 128 mb AGP Radeon 9600 Pro. I realize that this isn't quite the optimal gaming system, but it more than exceeds the alleged "minimum" requirements listed on the box. *Allegedly* this game will run on a 64 mb GEforce 4 Ti card; I highly doubt it. If you're considering this game, make sure you have a top of the line system *and* a system that meets the "recommended" specifications listed on the box flap (and not just the "minimum" specifications). I played Half-Life2, Far Cry, Doom 3, the entire Call of Duty and Medal of Honor series, and a host of other games on my system and have not had any problems until now.

The fan on my video card burned out about 1/3 of the way through (not sure if stress caused by the game caused that, or if I had a bad card). I had the manufacturer replace it (it was still under warranty), and the game ran fine for a while but is once again freezing up and showing distorted graphics. I tried swapping out my video card with a different card, but this game only seems to run on the handful of cards listed on the box flap. I looked around, but many of them seem to be discontinued. I tried a 512 mb GEForce 7600 (which is not a supported card), but got weird distortion in the graphics, so I put my old card back in. I don't really want to spend $80-$90 on an obsolete card that I'll only use for this game.

I'd be interested in suggestions (short of dropping $$$ on an entirely new system).

Seems like a fun game (I'm already up to level 8), but I'm about at my wits end and may have to ditch it entirely.
on March 2, 2006
This is by far my favorite first-person shooter. I'm a horror fan, so I would say I even like the story line better than Half-Life 2, and I loved that game as well. Here is my two cents:

Graphics: Fantastic and not quite as system-intensive as you may believe. I have a geForce 6800 GS, 1 GB RAM, and an Athlon XP 64 X2 3800+ processor, and I can run the game on medium to high settings and still get close to 65 fps.

A.I.: Some of the best AI I've ever seen. Enemies will flip over couches and cabinets to hide behind. If they're taking too much fire, sometimes they'll hold their gun around the corner and fire blindly at you. They'll try to flank you. Good stuff.

Levels: Some people think that the levels get boring and repetitive. I say it's all in your perception. If you're easily bored with similar settings, then yes, it might get old for you. But I didn't have that problem at all. Why? Because I felt that the game did an excellent job of slowly adding new elements to the gameplay to mix it up. Either you found a new kind of weapon, or you met a new kind of enemy, or a different kind of terrain and needed to use new tactics, that it kept things progressing in a steady and fun manner. Also, a few players complained that at times the game forgot about the horror aspects and focused solely on first-person shooter. I would argue this was done intentionally. Just when I had kind of forgotten about the scary stuff because I was too busy mowing down dozens of soldiers, one of the baddies would appear out of nowhere and scare the living daylights out of me. I think this kind of pacing was done on purpose.

Horror: If you're the sort of person that scares easily, then the impact of this game will that much more impressive. I would play this game only at night with all the lights off, and it would create a very eerie atmosphere. At first, I was actually hesitant to move the character further down the hall because I was afraid of what would pop out next. I had to remind myself it was just a game. I literally got chills at certain points.

Plot: I loved the plot. I didn't think the ending was a letdown at all. I thought it wrapped up all the points nicely. And it's multi-layered. So at first it may seem like explanation A is what happened, but if you think about it more, it really could have been B or even C. In fact, I'm going to play the game again to see what else I missed.

Other: You can set the difficulty level on the fly without having to save or restart. Makes it easier to get past really difficult points.
on July 14, 2014
This game wasn't as scary as people (friends) have thought it to be. To me, it felt like a classic FPS with horror elements mixed in. That didn't stop me from playing it, though. I loved this game, but it wasn't as close to scary as what people said it was. "This game ruined my life" "This game made me scared for my life" yeah. If you're looking for a fun FPS game with some horror into it, then this is the game for you. It's addicting all the way through. However, if you're looking for something to scare your pants off of you, then this isn't it. The cover makes it look like it's scary but honestly the only thing creepy in it was that little girl walking around.
on December 7, 2015
What makes this shooter fun is that you really need to rely on stealth. So, it's not a hard core first person shooter. Nice for people who want a nice relaxed pace rather than running from gun battle to gun battle. A few good "gotcha" moments to boot.
on March 10, 2015
I just got this in the mail, less than an hour ago. I wanted to install it so I put the disc in my PC tray, and closed it. Moments later I got a screen that said "setup.exe" so I clicked on yes of course. But it wanted me to put in an installation code, but I never got one...so yeah :( 2star rating
on October 6, 2013
FEAR is a decent FPS game. It lacks great cut scenes and the story line is basic, but it does not require online connection to play it and it has some fun, easy to use, cheats which ad a wrinkle.

Things the game lacks are a map feature and the great cut scenes that are found in games like Mass Effect. It is also very linear. I am hoping that they corrected these shortcomings in the newer releases within the series... but still worth playing.
on September 12, 2011
This game is great. There's many reasons to buy it, and those reasons totally eclipse the negligable flaws that are present. It's now 6 years old, but since it's so good and cheap, there's no reason not to get it. Although, I ordered a used copy here, from Warehouse Deals, and there was no CD Key in the case along with the game, which is required to install the game. So, it had to be returned. It was fate I suppose, because I then looked elsewhere and found the game available for download on St**m. It was FEAR, FEAR Extraction Point, FEAR Perseus Mandate, FEAR 2: Project Origin, and FEAR 2: Reborn, all for $20! I would definately pay more for this amazing series. Don't even read the rest of this review, go download the FEAR Collection right now. .... Well, OK, if you insist on reading the rest, then I'll let you know about one other small-but-easily-solvable problem. I have a Logitech mouse+keyboard set, one of the wireless ones, and the game's engine (not sure if it's the whole series, but it happens for the first one) "clashes" with how the wireless Logitech mouse/keyboards function. There's a few work-arounds on the internet that kind of worked, but I'm not recommending them because the only (and most effective) solution is to use a wired keyboard and mouse for the game. You probably have them laying around from when you upgraded to the wireless ones, so just plug them in instead of the wireless ones and you're good to go. If not the framerate will max out at about 28fps regardless of your hardware, and the work-arounds will get the max framerate up to normal but the game will still skip. Even if you have to buy a cheap wired mouse/keyboard combo, since the Collection is so cheap, its very worth it.

Even by today's standards, this game looks good. I rented it years ago for Playstation 3 and I actually, as ashamed as I now feel, returned it after only 10 minutes. I remember thinking how bad the graphics look for a PS3 game. When FEAR 2 came to the PS3, I took a chance on it and it was amazing, creepy as HELL. But with FEAR 3 coming out, I wanted to get the whole story so I got the first one, for PC this time since I now had a gaming PC. And damn, it looks so much better for PC, as do most games. The "bad guys" you shoot throughout the game for the most part all look the same, yes. But really getting into that kind of non-playable character development wasn't as advanced back then, and really doesn't take away from the gameplay because they really do look great for a 6 year old game. Things like environment destruction have gotten better in today's games, but again, don't take away from FEAR. The blood and gore is fantastic. Although most blood fades after a bit, it's there long enough, there's PLENTY of it, and grenades/explosions do blow off heads and body parts. As many have said, the AI is impressive. They communicate, which you can hear, and different groups of them will have different strategies; you can hear squad-leaders telling teams to 'stay put', 'stand guard', or 'go investigate'. These will sometimes also be responses to your flashlight, which guards will spot and react accordingly to. The guns are pretty cool, but there's not many of them. There's a few different kinds of explosives, that definately do some damage (again, body parts goin' flyin'). This is a typical first-person shooter, but done very well and very creepy. Like I said, FEAR 2 is what got me hooked on the series, it's way scarier than the first one, and the first one is damn scary, so that should tell you something about these games. But, don't skip ahead, get the first FEAR because it is very good and you need the whole terrifying story to get the most out of the games. $20 (plus wired mouse/keyboard if you have Logitech wireless combo) for 5 adventure/horror games of this caliber is a steal.

This game is good-looking, and also among the best when it comes to graphics options. The options are all broken down into "CPU" and "Graphics Card", depending on which processor that particular setting uses. So, if you can see in the Task Manager->Performance Tab or in monitoring software for your graphics card that one of the two is getting near a 100% load, then you can turn the appropriate settings down a bit. But, you probably won't have to. This game received some criticism about how demanding it was when played on the hardware that was out when the game was released, but for today's computers, this game can easily be an ego-booster. I have a i5 2500k and two GTX 570's in SLI. With all the game's settings set to 'Maximum', and my CPU and GPU's at the stock speeds, I am no where near even a 50% load on either, and the game regularly runs at, or just under, 200fps. So, going into the Nvidia Control Panel and cranking up the 'SLI Anti-Aliasing' can really make this game look gorgeous, absolutely no aliasing on your character's gun or any other edge, and throw v-sync on just to keep your GPU(s) from unnecessarily working too hard and there's no problem maintaining 120fps (on a 120hz monitor, of course. 60 fps would definately be possible with lesser setups than a 570).

Bottom line is this is a great game, FEAR 2 only got way creepier/better so getting the newly released FEAR 3 is a given, and playing this first one is a must to get the whole story. You can go nuts with the in-game and graphics card driver settings if you have a relatively new hardware setup. I'm looking forward to playing through all 5 of these that I got in FEAR Collection on St**m, and I hope that I'll have to go back to my overclocked settings I use on other games when I finally get FEAR 3 because it's so demanding and as visually impressive as this FEAR was to the hardware in 2005. Great game, great series. Go for it.
on December 9, 2010
Of course this is just my opinion, but I loved this game so much I had to share it. With a good computer, the graphical detail of this game is outstanding. the slo-mo ability and different weapon capabilities make for very interesting combat. I truly enjoyed the first person shooter style of this game along with a healthy dose of creepy on the side. I am usually not one for FPS games and enjoy more the RPG or Strategy but this game was very enjoyable. When played on "normal" difficulty it offered enough challenge to keep one "in the game" but also offered enough medkits, ammo and weapons to allow it to be overcome. Although the scenery is very similar overall, there are three distinct "zones" if you will that the character goes thru to meet the goal. The story line is decent, the environments don't get out of hand with maze like never ending directions one can go allowing for a "no need for a HUD mapping" component. Although the story line and missions are very linear, the game still does a good job of capturing one and absorbing your focus. Although I knew I could always hit restart, I could not help myself but flinch, jump out of my seat, and be edgy expecting some foul beast to pop up on the screen and scare the jeepers out of me...(although that really doesn't happen....much) the saga continues with a great expansion "Extraction Point" and great standalone sequel, Perseus Mandate, a great continuation with FEAR 2 and now a yet unplayed FEAR 3 (can't wait)...again, in my opinion, one of the most fun games (saga) I have ever played (a close one to Max Payne)...a must have...a definite keep for later to be re-played and enjoyed just like a good book...and finally, buy one for your friend(s)-- a to be shared game for sure...thanks much...enjoy.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.