Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > The Hobbit forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2009 1:26:14 PM PDT
It's about time a legal e-book version of these books was made available. While it's easy enough to find the text of these books out on the interwebs I have said for years that I would be happy to PAY for a legal version. Now I finally can.

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 6:59:45 PM PDT
I know I was about ready to find a non legal version, so I wouldn't have to carry my huge book around when I started to reread them. Thank you Amazon.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 5:18:58 AM PDT
J. Schonbok says:
Yes, about time! But why the heck is Chistopher Tolkien credited as an "author" of this and Lord of the Rings??

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 6:07:00 AM PDT
M. Anstine says:
that's what I'd like to know too. He's not credited in any of my print copies. Another thing I wonder about: why do all the ebooks purchased from amazon say 'kindle edition'? Does that mean the story has been altered in any way, i.e., abridged?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 6:10:30 AM PDT
"Kindle Edition" is to let you know it's the e-book version for the Kindle vs a paperback edition or hardcover edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 7:51:52 AM PDT
M. Anstine says:
DUH- you'd think a 57 year old would be able to figure that out on her own, wouldn't you? :). Thanks.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 5:54:36 AM PDT
Reno says:
Trilogy or separate books. Other than the price, is there a difference?

Posted on May 7, 2009 1:04:19 PM PDT
Br. Bill says:
Doesn't the book fall out of copyright in 3 years? After that, it will be public domain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2009 6:56:59 PM PDT
Not till 2032. Lord of the Rings will fall into public domain in 2050 I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2009 12:23:20 PM PDT
MysticMuse61 says:
As Christopher Tokien and his descendants are the literary executors and heirs to his father's (J.R.R.) works, they will remain copyrighted for as long as the family chooses to renew the copyright.
Christopher T. has already renewed copyrights to certain of his father's works and will do so for Hobbit and L.O.R. as they approach expiration.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Hobbit forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 22, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Hobbit (Essential Modern Classics)
The Hobbit (Essential Modern Classics) by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - November 2, 1998)
4.7 out of 5 stars (18,440)