Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: FJC 45245 2 Gauge 25' 600 Amp Parrot Clamp Professional Booster Cable
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on August 9, 2012
PreReview...
These are copper-clad aluminum construction, but then you aren't paying $200+ for them either. The questions in my mind are:
- are they otherwise well constructed (shielding and flexibiility, clamps design (and rating) and how well they are attached to the cables,
- will they stand up to fierce weather cold/heat
- will they deliver the amps

I have Jeep Grand Wagoneers, and live in the mountains. I need at least 25' length, and reliability in winter.

Important note: get the best clamps you can - makes a notable difference. More info in this post later.

Some considerations I have are:
- I want extra long cables without worrying about their performance, and without spending godzillian dollars
- Seek out parrot clamps with a good rating (500 amps or better). They are way more reliable. I think they are best in class compared to most all other clamps - and it makes a big difference if you have picky requirements (like I do).
- Get 2ga or 1ga for any cables longer than 12 feet - a must if you get copper-clad. you can get away with 4ga if solid copper.
- Get highest rating... seems 800amp is acheivable for copper-clad aluminum 2ga and 1ga boosters. Since I likely won't find cheap solid copper cables (as if), This keeps me from going to 4ga. allowance.
- Make certain the manuf claims temperature standards, run from others!

I have been looking at the following products:
- Coleman Cable 08862 25-Foot Ultra-Heavy-Duty Truck and Auto Battery Booster Cables, 2-Gauge, Hi/Lo temp, $140 shipped
Appear to be top quality for Copper-Clad Alums.
Love the Clamps and construction

- Motor Trend MTP125-CCA 25-Foot Jumper Cables, 800-AMP (1ga, 100% copper, hi/lo temps) $80 shpped
Clamp is considered "parrot" (high rated) in other ads I have seen
(This is sold at Walmart too)
I suspect these are a superior product at this price. If you don't want FJC copper-clad alums, then get this.

- FJC 45255 1 Gauge Commercial Duty 25' Booster Cable - 800 amp $71 shipped
Potential first pick, but...
Confusing pic of Clamps in the ad - one silver, one cooper??? I question their amp capacity of silver-looking (aluminum?) Clamps and how well they may be attached to the cable.
These seem to be the conterpart to the Motor Trend listed above.
For the sake of $10 I would definitely go with the MotorTrends.

- FJC (FJC45265) 2/0 Ga. Booster Cables with 800 Amp Commercial Grade Clamps $141 shipped
Same as the 45255 above, but 2ga

#######################
***my purchase** FJC 45245 2 Gauge 25' 600 Amp Parrot Clamp Professional Booster Cable, 2ga, Parrot Clamps, Hi/Lo temps $56 shipped
A superior construction FJC.
Meets all my bottomline requirements at a fraction of the cost. The purchase was a no brainer.

Arrived packaged well, and in original manuf. box. Clamps certainly are superior. The cable attachment to the clamps appears professional - not skanky. I have not used these yet, but I have no doubt as to what to expect.

###########
Other Notes
Some notes on copper-clad aluminum wire vs pure copper:
- aluminium wire requires a 1.6-times larger cross sectional area than a copper wire to achieve comparable DC resistance
- aluminum is lighter weight and less expensive
- copper cladding provides protection against corrosion and makes this wire's connections more relilable
- If the diameter of the aluminum cables have been upgraded in size, to match the current carrying capacity of the normal copper cables, then the only remaining difference is that copper withstands much more bending and coiling before the metal begins to "work harden," and some of the individual wire strands begin to break. In other words, the copper stands up to use better than aluminum.

When buying booster cables, read the labels, and make sure that the maximum number of Amps, for which the aluminum cables are capable of carrying, is equal to or greater than the highest rated copper cables.

Edited here down - was cut off...
Therefore, IF the copper clad aluminum cables are rated for the same current carrying capacity as copper cables, then there is NO difference in use between the two types.

(this last part is quoted from someone else in a professional forum online, and I agree with it.)

- For more permanent installation for dc application i would definitely seek out all copper (welder's wiring) for installation. For booster cables I am concerned about not spending too much money and being confident they will work, and last... and I think some copper-clad aluminum cables I have seen are constructed well enough.

The following was a really helpful post regarding one man's purchase of the FJC 45245 that helped sway my decision....
[...]
Hope this helps others ;^)
1818 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
After doing the research and determining just how big of a cable i need to be able to jump start my truck - or jump start another truck from my truck, potentially in the wilderness, it became clear that this was exactly how big i needed.

It's a great deal for what you get. Yes the wire is copper plated aluminum but it's not like I'm on the search and rescue team. My emergencies don't come about all that often, and even on frozen mornings i have found these cables supple enough.
on March 20, 2014
Yeah, you read that right, $240.00 for the same set of cables at a NAPA auto parts store on Guam, USA.

PRO:

1. Saved $187.00 !!!!!
2. These things are REAL, heavy duty and long!
3. Stiff clamps, coated clamps and attached very well.
4. Did I mention these are REALLY LONG!

CON:

1. Need some trunk space to carry these 24/7, they are not small. so be ready for that.
2. Not for chicks with fake nails, buys that can't lift 5 pounds and small children.

OTHER:

DO NOT UN COIL THESE WHEN YOU GET THEM, they way they pack them at the factory and put the twist tie around them is the SMALLEST you'll ever get them, once you open them up and stretched them out, they're not EVER going to be that small again. SO get them pack them away and use them when you need them.

Peace!
on February 28, 2013
These are the best jumper cables I have ever owned and I have owned alot. They are 2 ga wire with extreamly heavy duty clips and I added a plug to one emd so I don't have to lift my hood to attach to my battery..... Absolutly fantastic cables worth three times the price...
on February 6, 2013
I purchased this for my husband and he is very satisfied with it so far. He has already used these to jump off our 1 ton pickup, our tractor and our bulldozer. Heavy duty and the parrot clamps are nice. Good value for the price.
on December 29, 2013
Jumper cables are one of those things, you very seldome need them, but when you need them, you REALLY need them. I am sick of owning wimpy 4 or 8 gauge cables, and usually just barely long enough. These cables are very heavy duty, and at 25', you don't have to be as creative routing them from the 2 vehicles. This is really the only way to go, especially for the price. I fortunately have only used them once since I bought them a year ago, but it was a privilege and I feel I will own this one set of cables for the rest of my life. Very good investment.
on September 5, 2014
Nice set of jumper cables, long enough for just about any jump, even across cars they are pretty flexible and easy to "untangle" ( which is a good thing when they a' long lol ) -I have used them a couple of times already and they handled the job well. I also own the FJC 45255 1 Gauge Commercial Duty 25' Booster Cable - 800 amp( which came with their own case to store them in ) purchased here on Amazon also and these cables are not as stiff or thick as them but seem to work just as well, and for less money :-P . four stars for good cables, would be five stars if they came with a storage bag or a rigid box to store them in.

If you want a good set of long cables at a good price get these while you can
on February 15, 2015
My fault. I saw the word "COPPER" and ordered these. After receiving them I cut the parrot jaws off one end of the set to install quick disconnects for my winch. Bad move on my part. The aluminum (copper coated) wire diameter was larger in diameter than 2 ga. I needed to trim it down before I could soldered in place. The insulating plastic was so "INEXPENSIVE" that by simply heating the copper connector, the heat transfer to the wire caused the plastic to swell. Again my fault. In the future, I will spend more time and carefully read the description(s) AND the on-line reviews. Regards. I recommend solid copper wire for cold weather applications. Bob
on October 31, 2014
Great cables. Bought 2 sets of these and 1 of another brand. These are copper coated aluminum 2 ga cables, with good rubber coating, and painted clamps. Compared to the other brand (Cal-Hawk) that was the same price on amazon, that were also supposed to be 2 ga 25ft, these are superior. The others were only 4 ga with thinner rubber coating that did not feel as pliable at lower temps. The others had rubber dipped handles on the clamps.
on February 28, 2014
When you want an industrial set of booster cables that is long enough and strong enough to jump just about anything a mere mortal would do, look no further! These things are impressive in construction, function, and quality. When you pull them out you can almost hear the theme to "Excalibur" playing in the background with angels singing at full chorus. But seriously, if you want to buy one set of jumper cables as in investment that will not only last your lifetime but for generations to come, this is the end all be all. I highly recommend the Bucket Boss carrying case as the perfect compliment. On your death bed of regrets with everyone on the edge of their seat as they're picking through your remains you can state, "and finally, I leave my beloved FJC Booster cables too..." In this case you get what you pay for.