|Fits as expected||
|Price:||$90.46 - $378.00 & Free Return on some sizes and colors|
- Italian Leather
- Leather sole
- Shaft measures approximately 16" from arch
- Platform measures approximately 0.25
- Tall boot featuring western-inspired stitching at vamp and rear zip closure with button tabs at heel cup and opening
- f you notice scratches on leather, you can merely wipe it off with a clean dry cloth, or with your hand. This will help to get the original color back
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Supremely soft antique full grain leather takes shape on Melissa's form. Tradition is dispensed with: flaps snap shut at the heel and calf with stylish little buttons. In lieu of pulls, there's a full length back zip. Stacked leather heel and sole. Features and dimensions: Antique soft full grain leather Leather upper material Leather sole Leather lining 14" shaft circumference (based on size 7) 14 3/4" shaft height 1" heel Medium width
- Product Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- ASIN: B01B1I2OSK
- Item model number: Melissa Button Back-Zip Boot
- Date first available at Amazon.com: November 26, 2012
- Domestic Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
- International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More
- Average Customer Review:
Top Customer Reviews
Calf size: my calves fit in these boots *exactly* (I got lucky, I guess). There was no squeezing of my calves and also not a bit of extra room. My calves are 40 cm / 15.75 inches around.
Boot height: I'm 5'8" tall. The boots came up to 2.25 inches beneath the bottom of the patella of my knee (the floating roundish bone) when sitting down, The boots are about 12.5 to 13 inches tall from the top of the bend in the foot. It's hard to get an exact measurement there, since it's just a gentle curve.
Boot size: I wear a US women's size 9.5 (medium width) usually. I got these in 9.5 and they fit exactly, while wearing a regular-thickness sock. I define regular thickness as more than those skinny dress/trouser socks and less than an athletic crew sock. The boots seemed neither wide nor narrow to my foot.
Zipper: The zipper was neither loose nor hard too pull. It took more to pull than a zipper on a backpack, but it did not feel overly difficult to pull. This felt like a good amount, since I don't want the zipper to come undone with a day of walking around. Although I won't need it in this case, here's a hiker's zipper tip for others out there: rub a little chapstick on a stiff zipper to lubricate and ease the pull.
Ankles: Some reviews described the area around ankles as "baggy." This was my biggest worry since I have pretty skinny ankles. The boots do NOT slouch around my ankles. They are not tight on my ankles, but they don't wrinkle or appear baggy. My ankles are 21 cm / 8.5 inches. There is air in there around my ankles, but the boots aren't slouchy.
Provenance: These boots are stamped "Made In Mexico" on the inside of the leather shafts.
Extra: There is an obvious snap closure at the top of the zipper that I knew about. I didn't realize that the bottom of the zipper is also covered with a similar protective/decorative leather tab and snap. This allows the zipper to go down even further and looks very nice. I originally thought it was just a decoration. Bonus!
I'm very pleased with the appearance, feel, style, and even smell of the boots. They are made of soft, thick leather. The stitches are straight, deep, and well done, the parts seem to be of high quality. The fit turned out to be excellent for me. They are just what I was looking for and I'd recommend them to anyone.
Take care, the leather bottoms of the boots are VERY slippery when new. Scuff up the soles a little when you first go outside!
I hope this review helps clear up some questions for others considering this particular style.
I got the Melissa Button and two pair of Melissa Back Zip, all in smooth vintage leather. Having read horror stories on here about fakes, I wasn't thrilled with what I received. The smooth vintage leather was thin, stiff, and very shiny. One pair of the zip backs had glued-in Frye patches at the heel, which hit my instep at an awkward place and hurt. I like the taller, sleeker style of the zip backs, but was concerned as to whether they were authentic. I also got a pair of Phillip Riding- the right boot fits tighter, one boot (Antique leather) is smooth, one has elephant wrinkles.
I realize the deals are good because they might be customer returns or seconds, but fakes should never be sold at all, and so I called Frye customer service.
The rep assured me:
1) Amazon llc is a one of their largest authorized retailers and would not jeopardize their status by selling fakes. Third party retailers, selling through Amazon, might need more scrutiny, but she stated she has never seen fake Fryes.
2) Different styles, seasons, and manufacturing plants show different stamps and patches. Sometimes the interior Frye logo is embossed, sometimes glued or sewn on. Not necessarily fake if it is different than an older pair you have. If you aren't happy with the quality, exchange it!
3) Frye has different names for its leathers, sometimes depending on when it was made or the style, and the shiny finish on the Melissas was probably caused by them being on the shelf for a while. They would soften up and become a softer matte finish with use and wear.
So, there you have it, from to a Frye representative. If you order directly from Amazon, you are getting authentic boots. If you don't like the fit or finish, exchange them for another pair. I'd add that the amazing prices probably mean that an item is a return, a second, or has been on a warehouse shelf somewhere for a while. If you are willing to take a chance and possible go through a few pair, it might be worth it to you (as it is to me ;))
After reading the reviews, I was very concerned about the quality. However, they came in their original box with the Frye certification. As soon as I received them, I compared them to the black pair I already owned. The quality and workmanship is excellent, and on par with my first pair. The fit is also the same (although I wish I needed a half size up because that would save me an additional $50). The zippers and buttons work just fine.
I do wish they were just a tad bit browner, since it's hard to tell what the actual color will be online. This brown has a bit of a "pink-ish" quality. However, I like the antique, since it's matte and has the leather quality I love. The vintage seems a bit too shiny for me.
Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I will be sure to revise my review if something changes once I'm wearing them regularly.