Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on October 15, 2013
UPDATE: After wearing these for a few days, I'm happy with the size (1 full size lower than sneakers.) With thin socks, both feet feel extremely comfortable with one of my feet being looser than the other. With thick socks, my right and wider foot is a bit tight in the widest part of the forefoot. 1/2 size lower would be too big for my left foot especially when wearing thinner socks. These look so sweet... It's taking everything not to buy a 2nd pair while the cheaper, previous version is still available.

Honestly, I just ordered these from Amazon 10 minutes ago but I just got back from Nordstrom where I almost bought them on the spot but didn't as Amazon currently has a sale.

I used to wear cowboy-like boots as a kid and am just getting back into the boot style - rustic, classy, manly. I've wanted the Frye 8/12R Harness for the past five years but never went beyond dreaming as I thought the cost was high. Amazon was having a sale so I decided to act and went to Nordstrom to try them on.

I typically wear a 10.5 in sneakers (Nikes, Adidas) and the 9.5 is the size that worked best for me. The 10 felt okay but loose enough to not feel perfect... the 9.5 hit the spot and they still felt extremely comfortable with no tightness. I have what I consider thinner legs and ankles so perhaps that's why I had to go down a full size - I can basically slide my foot in the 12R with no resistance at all. I imagine that many people buy boots online and assume that the size they bought is perfect when a size lower would actually work even better (as I easily could have gone with a 10 without trying a 9.5) - so definitely try these on in a store or order 2 pairs and return the 2nd.

These (the 12R and 8R gaucho) looked amazing in the mirror with jeans on - I was really impressed and excited - they really look awesome. I don't think I can include more positive words in that description but they deserve it.

I'm 5'11, 32.5 inseam - the 12R and 8R both felt good but I liked the upper leg coverage (the feel when static and moving)and will like it and the added warmth even more come winter. I think when you buy a boot of this style that you should go with the full-fledged boot style.

It looks like Frye is selling their latest 12R and 8R @ $390 in two colors that I do not like as much as I do the gaucho/dark brown. I imagine they'll release more colors but I believe that is a $100 MSRP hike from this previous version. ...So that stinks and I suggest buying now while they are the lower cost.

Sweet A... boots - I'm excitedly waiting for them to arrive so I can wear them around town and to work. I highly suggest you buy them based on their style/look/fit.
on January 28, 2011
These are great looking boots and wish I was able to tell you how they wear.
I wear a size 9.5 to 10 (depending on the shoe), so after reading the reviews about 1/2 size smaller, I ordered a 9.5m. They did not fit, I could not even get my foot in. OK, sent back and ordered a size 10. Well, it was close, as I got my left boot on (barley), but could not get the right one on. I am now debating on ordering again.
Seems to be a really good pair of boots and maybe one day, I will actually get a pair that fit. We shall see.

Update: I bought these boots that a half size bigger (10.5). The right foot was still tight, but eventually worked in over the course of a few months. These are Great pair of Boots!!!!!
on January 26, 2011
These are probably the most beautiful boots that I've ever laid eyes on! The leather is spectacular, the gaucho is absolutely gorgeous, and wide is for once properly identified! Problem: DO NOT BUY THESE BOOTS IF YOU HAVE A HIGH ARCH OR WIDE CALF! They will not fit properly! Also, the 12r is literally almost 12 full inches above the harness so you better be long legged and the harness portion does not give at all when sliding foot into place so be ready to fight for what you want to wear....and don't be surprised if it doesn't fit exactly right. I'd suggest tracking down a retailer with the closest possible version to try on before buying.
on April 3, 2008
These boots are so comfortable. I've been wearing them around the house to break them in. They are the stylish and comfortable. I have big feet for a woman so I bought the mens. I love them!! I have them in the "Gaucho" color which is a deep dark brown. I will definitely buy other styles and colors.
on November 14, 2011
These fit the same as my Justin ropers and my Harley Davidson 9 1/2 D boots; but these FRYE boots are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. The leather on these is pretty thick, so it took about a week of wearin' to really break 'em in. Now they fit perfect. I used Harley Davidson leather dressing on them, and now they are soft, flexible, and protected from the elements. I feel like I'm wearin' a piece of history every time I put 'em on.
on July 15, 2011
I've wanted a pair of pull on boots for many years. It was difficult to find a pair I really liked. I don't care for the pointed toe look many western boots have, and I wanted a pair that had a simple, durable look, (no fancy tooling). I wanted boots that look like they came from the 1860's, (I don't think they had harness boots like these back then, but they wouldn't look out of place.)

Visually, these boots are almost exactly what I was looking for. They'd be exactly what I was looking for if they came with a real leather sole, but the rubber sole is more practical.

Getting a pair that (mostly) fit wasn't easy. First I tried the size I wear in my work boots. Frye's medium width is very narrow by comparison, so I tried getting the same size in wide, (not easy to find). My feet were swimming in those, I could barely keep the right one on. (My left foot is slightly bigger).

The closest I could come to getting a decent fit was to go for the wide width in a 1/2 size smaller than my work boots and a full size smaller than a shoe, but still my right heel really slips, but oddly enough doesn't blister even after walking in them all day. The left foot felt cramped the first day or so, but either the boot stretched a bit or my foot compressed a bit, either way I'm comfortable.

After getting used to them, I don't want to wear anything else, not even more comfortable shoes. I wouldn't want to go for a run in them, or an all-day hike, but for everything else they're great. Noisy, but great. Where I work you can hear a pin drop, and the flapping of the boot tops against the inside of my jeans echoes around the building. But the noise is worth it, at least to me, but I can't speak for my coworkers. I just feel good clumping around in these for some reason, they're not like any other footwear I've owned.

So why four stars? The leather. I got the "Gaucho" leather, and while it looks great, I have no idea how to care for it. I'm not sure if it's "Nubuck" leather or not, Frye doesn't say on their site. So I called the company and they told me NOT to use their leather care products on the boots. So I asked what I should use on them, and they said they don't endorse any product for the leather.

Obviously Frye knows how to treat the leather, they're not rawhide, so why can't they share that information with their customers? Why keep it secret?

If anyone knows what to put on these to keep the leather nice, please respond to this review in a comment. I plan to wear these boots a lot and I don't want the leather falling apart in a few years.
on April 25, 2010
Have been wanting a pair or Frye harness boots forever, just recently found out they made them in wide sizes. They fit pretty true to size, have decent arch support, and feel like armor on your feet. The leather is heavy and can be a little warm in the summer. My only real complaint is that the toe is REALLY squared off. Almost unfashionable. Still, all in all, very good boots made in America.
on April 14, 2011
Great walk around boots, but heel and sole wear fast. Not good if you're riding a motorcycle a lot like I do. I want firm traction under my feet when stopping. I like my Chippewas for motorcycling...long wearing heels and soles.
on June 9, 2008
When I was 15, the coolest possible boot you could wear was a Frye Harness. Now that I'm 50, and can finally afford them, I got a pair - they are still the coolest boots you can wear. It's really a classic style, hasn't changed at all since way back when. On my Harley, or just walking around, these boots are super. Fit your regular size, really tough made - will last a LONG time.
on January 30, 2010
Best boots i ever worn, so comfortable that you want to wear them every day.
Looks great and goes nice with boot cut jeans, love them!
Highly recomended, made in the U.S.A. one more reason to own them.
Enjoy.....

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.