Industrial Deals Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 9, 2016
Order your true size if you want toe wiggle room and thicker socks. There will be a lot of heel slippage. Half size down for regular/thin socks or you have a very narrow foot. If you have a wide foot, I would pass on this boot. If you have wide calves, I would also pass because it will not look flattering on your leg. The boot is heavy, but not uncomfortably so. The leather is very nice. The heel is very comfortable. The finish on the upper edge of the sole was finished poorly. The glazing was messy. Not sure if that is to be expected. You wouldn't be able to notice it when the boot was worn, so it wasn't a dealbreaker, but a different style Frey did not have that problem. The smoke color is as pictured. A very dark, burnt brown color. Looks good with black pants, but I wouldn't describe the boot as grey at all.
on March 28, 2017
The picture shown for the Smoke boot is much darker than the actual boot. The Smoke boot is much lighter - more of a grayish brown; nothing like the picture. They are still good looking boots. I will be keeping them as I waited a long time to own a pair and they are so comfortable that instead of returning them, I will purchase some leather cream and hopefully they will darken to be close to what is pictured. After reading the reviews, I almost purchased in a size down but instead opted for my normal size (7.5m) and they fit perfect! These are definitely made for narrow feet (which I have); I can't imagine trying to get these on with wide feet. The heel height is shorter than pictured, but I imagine these will be perfect for my bike. At this point, I absolutely love these boots and hopefully with cream and age, they will be everything I have dreamed of!!!
on January 16, 2016
These boots are well-made boots. They are beautiful as well. I bought them after returning the Harness 15R that I felt didn't fit right because of my short legs. The 15R were absolutely gorgeous & these are the same basic style but not as pretty. These are shorter but still don't seem to look right on me. The calf is snug and the ankle seems a little big. I'm not sure if it is the fit that's not right or that it's just not the boot for the look I'm wanting. I am starting to think that it's the pull-on style that's not right for what I want. I want square toes that I can wear under or over jeans. I hate to return these boots, but looking awesome sitting in my closet just isn't what I want. If anyone can recommend a different Frye square toe boot, that would be great!
on January 16, 2014
I tried both a size 9 and 8.5 from two different online companies. I first ordered a 9 which is my usual size boots, this was also my first introduction to the world of Frye boots so i was nervous when i read to order a half size down by most reviews on several different sites. I then ordered the 8.5 from Amazon, which was a better price. They arrived in no time. As mentioned by many, there will heel slippage regardless, although this was not as noticeable with the 8.5. In fact, the only reason i could not keep the smaller size was due to a small (hate to say it) bunion on my left foot. Ugh, why the boot gods created this torture for me i do not know….the right foot felt like a glove with thin stockings/even barefoot the leather felt comfortable. Note: if I had wanted to wear socks with the 8.5, i would have needed to keep the 9 instead and even with socks the 9 still felt a little to floppy in the heel while walking. They were worth the buy and sad to return and I have sent for the Heath Harness boot to try on, they look a little wider across the foot area.
on February 11, 2014
I've wanted a pair of these boots since college in the '70's....so yes, I'm dating myself! Now able to afford them, I finally bought a pair when I saw them on sale. I'm a 7.5 and they fit just fine. They are a bit tight across the top of the foot, and my left foot is a bit larger than my right, so I notice a small bit of tightness there, but not much. They are also heavy due to the harness. Another review I read mentioned their weight before I bought them, and at my age, I do feel it a bit in my knees when I've worn them all day. Very nice boots...I love the leather! Glad I bought them....shouldn't have waited so long :-)
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on November 2, 2011
After wearing knockoffs of these boots for years, I finally decided to get myself a real pair, and I couldn't be happier :) They are high-quality, very well-made, and beautiful. I can tell these babies and I are going to be very happy together for years to come! Yes, they are expensive, but I consider them an investment :)

I'm always reluctant to size down, so despite other reviewers' precautions, I ordered my true size...and they are a little too big. A pair of heel grips should do the trick, so I'm not going to return them. However, I would recommend going down a half size!

Also, be aware that these boots are not going to be comfortable at first (at least, they weren't for me). These boots are made of thick, high-quality leather, and it takes some time to break them in and truly get comfortable in them. I would suggest wearing them around the house for a few hours at a time a few days a week before wearing them for extended periods of time. I made the mistake of wearing them to work the first day I got them, and my feet were begging for mercy by the end of the day. I still think these are 5-star boots, but I wanted to throw out a word of caution about breaking these boots in!

All in all I really love these boots!
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on December 13, 2012
I am frugal so dishing out this much money for a pair of boots was tough. So glad I took the plunge though. They arrived safe and sound and it took me about two to three weeks to break them in. I applied a protective cream which darkened them up nicely. Then they went with me on a trip to Texas (such a perfect place to wear them!). I wore them for traveling as they would have taken up a lot of space in my luggage, and they were super comfortable. I also loved wearing them in the Hill Country, not having to worry about getting them dirty or scuffed up. They look great with shorts and short skirts, and also work well with skinny jeans in colder weather. The quality of these boots is superb and I am looking forward to many many years of wear out of them.

Note: My husband loved them so much I ended up buying him a shorter pair for Christmas. He too is now sold on Frye boots!
on November 4, 2013
I have been a fan of Frye boots for years despite the high price tag but I justify the cost because of the quality of their products. The most I've ever had to do with the several pairs I have is to get them resoled and they're brand new again. I've had one pair in particular for 8 years and they're still in perfect condition.

I have wide feet and calves so I was expecting these to be snug but they were comfortable from the moment I put them on. No breaking in period and I wore them for two days in a row with no issues at all. For those with slender feet I could see how sizing down might help since I was able to wear them with no issues and I have very wide feet (I measure a size 5 but buy shoes in 6 to give myself more room if that gives you an idea).

Honestly, this is probably my favorite pair of Frye boots that I've purchased. They're stylish, comfortable and the quality of the leather is even better than usual. The leather is thick but supple. I'm a bargain hunter so I got these $100 less than what other sites were charging since the boots were marked as "used" due to them previously being tried on but I didn't find that to be the case at all. They looked brand new. Not a smudge or any any indication that anyone ever touched them. Lables were in tact and the box was new so that added to my being pleasantly suprised. I often make purchases through Amazon and this is by far my best purchase yet. They arrived more quickly than I expected as well.

Worth every penny!!
on January 8, 2015
Fits as I'd expected. Normally take an 8 but I'd tried these boots on in a store and found I was more comfortable in a 8.5 so I new what I needed. Excellent company and very happy I finally was able to afford these boots. I like the Charcoal color as it's dark enough that it will go will with my black chaps but has a different look than the mundane black! Since I live in Iowa I can't comment on how well the tread will work for motorcycle riding! I will definitely get a good idea come spring!
0Comment|Report abuse
These boots are amazing! I bought them in the tan color, and wasn't expecting them to be already distressed-looking since they didn't appear that way in the photo. When they arrived, though, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they have that broken-in look already to them.

After reading a lot of reviews here on Amazon and elsewhere, I decided to go with the common advice of ordering a half-size down, and I'm glad I did. I usually wear a 7 1/2 in boots and shoes, and the 7 fit perfectly. What I read on-line said that you know you have the right fit when the heel area is loose; they will eventually mold to your foot, and you will no longer feel your heel sliding in them, which is exactly what I found to be the case.

I also had no problems breaking them in. I wore them around the house for a few hours over the weekend, out for two hours yesterday, and wore them for eight hours on my feet teaching today -- and didn't need to put on my back-up shoes that I had brought with me (expecting that these would hurt after a while). They were comfy and great all day!

These are almost a cross between a motorcycle boot and an equestrian boot -- and they definitely are smokin'! I got compliments on them all day today, and love how classically stylish they are. While the motorcycle look is currently trendy, these boots have such a classic look to them that I know I will be able to wear them for years to come.

UPDATE 3/20/10: Just wanted to update my review to say that the more you wear these boots, the more broken in and comfy they get. Every time I wear them, I also get so many compliments on them! A friend of mine from work also mentioned to me that she's had her Frye boots for about ten or fifteen years, and they are still going strong. She's had to get them re-soled a few times, but they look great after all those years.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.