Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on July 19, 2010
I agree with many of the other reviewers in that the remastered CD does sound better than the orginal edition from 1985. But I, too, have trouble with the second CD's outtakes and wonder why the band didn't include a 1985-era concert or live versions of the studio tunes instead? As mentioned, one must be a huge R.E.M. geek (as am I) to appreciate the original, pre-London versions, although I doubt I'll listen to them again myself. I also have no use for the poster or postcards and would have liked to read some other Rock critics' takes on "Fables" in the liner notes. I have to believe there's some live material floating around that the band could have included on the second CD to fill the available time space (i.e., bump the playing time up to 70+ minutes or so), in order to justify the high list price mentioned by many of the other reviewers. Still, I'm thankful that they are re-issuing their IRS catalog in each of the 25th anniversary years and can't wait to see what they offer up for "Lifes Rich Pageant" in 2011.
on July 18, 2013
The greatest American musical act across any genre over the last 20 years (I'm giving the overlap during the first decade of Stipe & Co.'s career to the last chapters of the Grateful Dead (even though in decline) - or Floyd (even Water-less), you choose) has proven through the LIVE COMPONENTS of the Document, LRP, Green, and FOTR boxes - not to mention the Dublin 2007 live release - that they are an artistic force of cosmic relevance for any age of human evolution...I, for one, will proseltyze the redeeming moral, spiritual, and aesthetic benefits of REM just as my religious friends broadcast the same virtues of their Christian doctrine...yeah, it's that powerful/Katie

PS: Michael, I know someone in the business follows these reviews, so I say to you: Begin opening the REM vault just like the Grateful Dead has done in proliferation through contract with Rhino records....if necessary, make it an annual subscription format, as done with Dave's Picks - WE WILL BUY WHATEVER YOU RELEASE - YOU ARE THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES!
on January 22, 2011
And my favorite tracks are "Good Advices," "Maps and Legends," and "Driver 8." It's funny because a lot critics said that R.E.M. was sorta like in their own little bubble during the '80s. Maybe that's why they were labeled alternative or indie rock. In some ways, they were a throwback to the Byrds of the '60s and the Eagles of the '70s. So with that the critics were probably right because it really wasn't until "Losing My Religion" from OUT OF TIME when R.E.M. became a little bit more in tune with what was going on around them. However, I think because FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION was recorded in London, there was a New Wave, British sound to it that made it ccontemporary. Listen to the sliding guitar (or whatever you want to call it) in "Green Grow the Rushes." That is similar to the guitar work in The Cure's "Just Like Heaven." Also, some songs from New Order. The goth sound is reminiscent of Depeche Mode. And the bizarre lyrics were reminiscent of New Order. Yet the album is still R.E.M. with its roots in Southern Rock. I wouldn't necessarily say that FABLES was the last album of the early phase for R.E.M. That would probably be LIFE'S RICH PAGEANT. I can easily hear songs like "The Flowers of Guatemala," "What If We Give It Away," or "I Believe" on FABLES. This was definitely a vintage time for R.E.M. and they produced two of the greatest works ever: FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION and LIFE'S RICH PAGEANT. Those two albums alone confirm that R.E.M. is one of the greatest rock bands ever.
on October 20, 2016
Remastered original album, already fantastic, plus the Athens Sessions. I see some reviewers don't like the remastering but it sounds great to me!
on August 8, 2010
I was introduced to REM in 1983, but I was heavy into the Doors and Skynerd, and they really didn't take. It wasn't until a couple years later I got Life's Rich Pageant and my life was changed. Listening to this album was like listening to REM for the first time. Each song was jumping out of the speakers, I was straining to decipher the lyrics and being blown away by what I heard. I went from being a tired, disgruntled plumber back to the kid with the world by the balls. Thanks again Michael, Peter, Mike and Bill.
on July 4, 2013
What a wasted opportunity for "Fables of the Reconstruction" on CD. Capitol had the chance to make this incredible album sound the finest it's ever sounded using current digital technology, but instead they chose to push all the volume levels up to the same level! Just listen to Old Man Kensey, there's clipping and audible distortion all over on that song. I see that Peter Buck made reference to Joe Boyd's "subtle production" in the liner notes, but unfortunately Capitol didn't tell the mastering engineer that. Overall, a fine R.E.M. album ruined by subpar remastering.

There's no way R.E.M. approved of the remastering on this, so the blame falls entirely on the shoulders of Capitol on this one. They don't deserve your cash on this.

5 stars for the music
1 star for the 2010 remastering
on April 17, 2013
Realmente maravilloso, sin dudas, el disco original, remaseterizado, suena muy bien. Uno de los discos más experimentales, mas locos de la banda legendaria.
El encarte es, como acostumbra(ba) R.E.M. lindazo.
Y el complemento, los demos, una buena forma de comparar y de escuchar el proceso de la banda
on July 9, 2013
If you already have the album I would only buy the 25th anniversary if you REALLY love the band. I do and Im glad I bought it. As with document though...my wife wont let me put the poster on our bedroom wall. :(
on September 16, 2011
Probably my favorite REM album. Actually a tie between this and Lifes Rich Pageant. Got this reissue the same time as Lifes Rich Pageant. Got this mostly for the demos. Includes demo/alternate takes of the original album's songs. Awesome album.
on June 3, 2015
Sounds excellent, & the bonus tracks are much better than I expected.