Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 134 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 241 reviews
on January 24, 2015
I am moderately competent with my own makeup, and was hoping to learn some new old techniques that don't get attention from the "one weird tip" YouTube beauty blogger set. This was not the right book to accomplish that goal.

There are lots of pretty pictures and some small before and after shots of famous people with amazing skin and bone structure. The instructions for each look are an endless repetition of apply moisturizer, apply foundation and concealer, use a small brush to apply medium brown shadow over the lid, fill the brows with a medium brown pencil and apply black mascara, sweep a pink blush on the apples of the cheeks, then line the lips with a nude liner and apply pink/red/clear lip gloss. Over and over again. There are some variations, but the instructions never go into greater detail than you'd get with a drugstore eyeshadow quad. No discussion of eye shape, how to blend, where application should start and stop, layering of products, etc.
on October 3, 2016
This book arrived in good used condition as described, you could actually barely tell it was used as I have seen books on the shelves of bookstores that were no worse for wear. It is a great book with picture and detailed information for creating the each celebrity look created, with the picture on one side and the information on the other page. The make overs are amazing. I actually owned this book new and it was lost in my move so I was very pleased to find it for such a great price to replace it. I highly recommend it.
on May 18, 2015
A great follow up to Making Faces, the late Aucoin teaches fundamentals in easy to understand sketches and descriptions. The real enjoyment for me comes from his makeup theory (i.e. makeup is to enhance the natural beauty in all women, have fun, and there are no "rules"). I love how in this book, he doesn't just try out looks on celebrities, but also on his mother; his love for her shows through the stunning transformation.

I could go on about this book forever, but anyone interested in a good beauty book for skills, inspiration, whatever- you can't go wrong with this book. Making Faces and Face Forward and constant staples in my beauty life.
on July 3, 2016
I am replacing a copy of this book that a friend didn't return. This is one of my favorite make-up technique books, written by Kevyn Aucoin, who left us much too soon. His legacy of excellent books pass on the idea of makeup as a tool for self-expression and enjoyment open to all people.
on January 28, 2014
As a picture book I give it 5 stars. As a" how to "not so detailed. Of course most "Pros" that made it in the industry do much of the same. Afraid of giving away secrets which is a shame, because if they were truly confident in their abilities and themselves no matter how competitive the industry maybe they will always be enough to go around. Not everyone wants to be a makeup artist, maybe they just want to look a little more polished.
I have several of Kevyon Aucion's Books are much the same coffee table picture books. Its a shame Kevyon died at such a young age. He really had talent.
on June 12, 2017
Fabulous book...just love looking at all the photos; plus the author Kevyn is such a nice person...truly a humble and very caring individual. I'm so sad to know that he's no longer with us. What a loss.for America.
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2002
When Kevin Aucoin died earlier this year it was a loss of not only a great talent but a good human being.
This book is delightful and is very instructive on how to make your face transform withe either small effort or more in depth work.
I have no problem using the photos and instructions given in this to achieve what I desire. This book and "Making Faces" have changed my whole outlook on make-up and how I use it to my great joy!
You should read the entire front section and it may help to have "Making Faces" as well to understand all that he shows you in this book. But it is mostly intuative once you get going!
Hurrah for Kevin and my deepest sorrow that he was taken from this earth much too soon.
on September 25, 2016
Excellent how-to book.
on March 13, 2017
Loved this book in make up application and different looks!
on March 4, 2017
Very informative I loved all the techniques abd application ideas