Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 9:11:50 AM PST
God forbid they should "waste time", she might miss her 5 hours at the gym. And every knows that's more important than a pesky little thing like a job. I'll bet she found meetings in "cooperate" America soul draining because she was getting called on the carpet for her behavior routinely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 9:40:10 AM PST
Now now, let's be rational. We wouldn't have anything to make fun of if they did that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 9:44:41 AM PST
There would be her epic temper tentrum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 10:41:21 AM PST
Part of me is hoping they learned from the last Merry Book that just printing whatever is going to back lash. I can ALMOST forgive the massive grammar/spelling fail if there was a decent plot there...but DM was a Divine Mess, it's plot bore no resemblance to the official blurbs at all was massively late even after the extension.

I can only HOPE that they have some leverage on her to force her to edit or accept the changed they want to make, holding back payment or refusal to publish are the only things I can think of that will make her do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 3:37:43 PM PST
Cal says:
Personally I don't think the sex is the worst reason to suggest anyone read the series, I think kids are more on the ball and aware than we like to admit, I know I was. The main reason to never suggest anyone start reading Hamilton is she does it so poorly. It terrifies and depresses me that anyone finds the majority of Hamilton's writing, regardless of series, erotic. She's one of the least gifted writers of sex to ever be published. I figure anyone who finds anything in Hamilton's writing with the possible exception of TKD and BM (and even those are questionable, but at least about the feelings of the people involved and not the ikea approach to sex she's using now) the slightest bit erotic needs to kick their SO out of the house and go find someone who knows what they are doing, or admit they are completely talentless in bed and it is their fault they think Hamilton can write a good sex scene. Because they sure as heck have never had good sex if they mistake Hamilton's garbage for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 7:23:05 PM PST
AmberLeigh says:
I agree I would find it horrible if I found my sister (who is 16) reading LKH not because of the sex (I know shes doing it already) but because I wouldn't want her to think that kind of sex was ok. Can you imagine an impressionable teen trying group sex or thinking that kind of stuff was actually the way it was suppose to be......Don't get me wrong I am very open and think its none of my business what people do in their bedroom but reading about gang bangs and LKH's version of a bsdm could be dangerous if you didn't understand that she writes sex all wrong and that most woman would never "get off" from those type of things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 7:28:02 PM PST
Exactly! There are books with more sex in them that teens read, and while I might not like that, I'd prefer it to reading LKH's works and thinking that everything she promotes is acceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 7:46:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012, 7:56:48 PM PST
CeliaSaw says:
I agree that the sex isn't the worst part... the ideas behind it are. The only 'bad' thing I can say at this point (really... it's just words you can ignore, if you think about it. And, before someone gets all up-in-arms about my opinion... I was raised Catholic, school and all, until I was 19.) is that sex can be subjective. In the meantime, I read Good Omens and The God Delusion and various others. What I found interesting was the mentality behind the difference of opinion. Everyone is right. Everyone is wrong. Does the majority make your opinion valid?
Okay... anyways: what is... creepy? to me? The idea that there are gender roles assigned to cruelty. Anita is the Queen because... why? She's done all of the awful things the male alphas (why are there no feminine pronouns for the wolves in this series?) have done and yet thrives as a successor in every possible aspect. Hypocrisy, thy name is Laurell.
Edit: I just got out of the hospital and am very much into life right now. Any and all grammatical errors are the fault of ESL and medication.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 7:50:43 PM PST
Don't forget the misogyny; the belief that unabused men with any self-reliance, brains, strength or self-respect are all slavering woman-hating racist pigs; the rapes perpetuated by the protagonist; the untrue belief that you can be having sex with a few dozen men and deeply "love" every one of them; and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 7:51:39 PM PST
CeliaSaw says:
I totally agree, EA... give me a second! ;)

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 5:49:13 AM PST
Heidi Wills says:
It doesn't matter if the 13 year is mature enough or not to handle a book with a lot of sex, it is up to her parents NOT her grandparents whether or not to allow her to read it. If I were her mother I would have the grandmother's ears bleeding by the time I was done with her. Its one thing if a friend gives it to her, a whole 'nother thing if its a grandparent.
The fact that it is so badly done in this series makes the grandmother's actions that much worse.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 7:59:38 AM PST
anna says:
I find it rather amusing that in her latest Facebook blog she moans about not being able to find black or red dishes. She asked her followers oh where or where can something so rare be found? The reply is Target or Wallmart. LOL

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 8:20:30 AM PST
Oh h*lls bells I just bought some lovely ones at T. J. Maxx. She's a nitwit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012, 8:24:29 AM PST
I read her bemoaning pastels. If that's all she can find she needs her eyes checked.

Try Ebay, too. Love the Ebay.

Guess she's decorating for the Easter werebunny.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 8:31:29 AM PST
Naomi Clark says:
I can find black and red dishes at my local supermarket, so I refuse to accept America is without such things.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 8:35:09 AM PST
We do, just not at Goth Topic.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 8:42:16 AM PST
Like a pink plate would kill her.

Hmmm......

Does anyone have her address?

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 9:10:52 AM PST
anna says:
I used to wish Hot Topic had a step up store. Like The Gap has Banana Republic. A store for people twenties and older with housewares and furniture. I don't know why they didn't go after that market.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 3:06:41 PM PST
And OH LOOK, the magical amazon has them too! A large number of them! I just typed in "black dishes" and a whole bunch popped up.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 5:23:42 PM PST
Maryam says:
So . . . this is a person who can't use the internet, can't get one of the attendant horde to use it or shop, and can't find anything that isn't in the local Hot Topic. Sad, sad, sad.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012, 7:31:45 PM PST
So how did she respond to this previously unearthed info?

Posted on Jan 8, 2012, 5:44:48 AM PST
Heidi Wills says:
E.A.,
You beat me to it. I, too, had looked on Amazon. I bet Target.com and Walmart.com have them as well. She could get them without having to leave her cave... I mean house.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012, 6:37:15 AM PST
<<I would love to see more about Anita's past. A trip to her home town or something. There's so much feel that we don't know about the character. So much I assume the other characters don't know about her. I've often wondered: how much do they truly love her? I get the impression that they all love her for what she can give them, not for what she really MEANS to them, not for who she is in the deepest part of her core. There's always something to gain from her, whether it be power, protection or home. She's always backed into a corner: compromise her morals or let people die. Only the others don't seem to care that she has to do that. In fact, they chastise her for having an issue with it. I want her to have a moment where she says, "that's it" and walks away. Not from them and her responsibilities (because we know what that can cause), but from the relationship parts of it. I want her to find someone who appreciates her for who she really is, not for what they want her to be or want her to provide. Someone who will take her on what a date is for her, not what they think a date should be (like Nathaniel taking her to a movie to see if a real date will work in The Harlequin). Sorry, went on a rant. It just seems like the guys don't really appreciate her, don't really see her. They take her for granted. It would be nice to see her with someone who sees her for all that she is.>>

Interesting.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012, 6:39:17 AM PST
And this one in response to the never-ending question of Lost Girl (not) ripping off AB: <<Ok cuz the similarities worried me a bit. I'll keep my mind open :-)>>

You have to keep your mind open when one has nothing to do with the other...?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012, 7:01:26 AM PST
<<It would be nice to see her with someone who sees her for all that she is.>>

Like Federal Marshalls with handcuffs and a warrant for her arrest on multiple counts of murder, obstruction of justice, and sex with a minor? And can they throw in Felony Neglect of Shower Taking?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  79
Total posts:  2523
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.7 out of 5 stars (732)