|Standing screen display size||8|
|National Stock Number||899-00077-02|
2 Year Tablet Accident Protection Planfrom Asurion, LLC
- NO ADDITIONAL COST: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor and shipping included.
- COVERAGE: Plan starts on the date of purchase. Drops, spills and cracked screens due to normal use covered from day one. Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer's warranty.
- EXPERT TECH HELP: Real experts available 24/7 to help with set-up, connectivity issues, troubleshooting and much more.
- PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Plans cover products purchased in the last 30 days.
- EASY CLAIMS PROCESS: File a claim anytime online or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. We will send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price of your covered product. In some cases, we will replace or repair it.
Facebook Portal Mini - Smart Video Calling 8” Touch Screen Display with Alexa - Black
|Price:||& FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns|
|You Save:||$64.01 (50%)|
|Wireless Communication Technology||Wi-Fi|
|Other camera features||Front|
About this item
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Easily video call with friends and family using your Messenger or WhatsApp account, even if they don't have Portal.
- Keep up with the action. Smart Camera automatically pans and zooms, keeping everyone in frame while you move and talk freely.
- Hear and be heard. Smart Sound enhances your voice while minimizing unwanted background noise.
- Easily disable the camera and microphone, or block the camera lens with a single switch. All Portal video calls are encrypted.
- See and do more with Alexa Built-in. Control your smart home, listen to your favorite music, watch the news, get the weather, set a timer and more.
- Enjoy all the features on our most compact device. With an 8” display, Portal Mini feels at home anywhere.
- Become some of your children's favorite storybook characters as you read along to well-loved tales with music, animation and immersive AR effects.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
More items to explore
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Portal Mini from Facebook is smart video calling with Alexa Built-in. Easily video call friends and family on their smartphones and tablets with Messenger or WhatsApp, even if they don’t have Portal. Enjoy an effortless video calling experience for large groups with Messenger Rooms, which lets you start or join calls of up to 50 people. Smart Camera pans and zooms to keep up with the action, and automatically adjusts to keep everyone in view. Smart Sound enhances the voice of whoever is talking, while minimizing background noise. Portal is private by design and all calls are encrypted. You can easily disable the camera and microphone, or block the camera lens with a single switch. Experience even more together with the ever-growing AR experiences library on Portal. Become some of your children’s favorite storybook characters with Story Time, where well-loved tales come to life with music, animation and immersive effects. Display your Instagram and Facebook photos directly to your Portal with the mobile app. You can even share photos during calls. With Alexa Built-in, you can ask a question, set a timer, add items to your shopping list, control your smart home and more. Facebook Live makes it easy to broadcast hands-free to family, friends and fans. With additional account activations, you can enjoy music, videos, news, games and more from our growing list of partners including Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio and the Food Network. You can also work smarter from home with partners like Zoom and Workplace from Facebook.Portal needs a wireless internet connection and AC power. Screen images simulated. User experience may vary. Additional registration, terms and fees may apply.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
UPDATE: after using it a few days I pretty much feel the same as above EXCEPT after some checking and asking questions, many more advanced Alexa features like messaging, drop in, viewing Ring/Blink and other cameras, connected speaker system to sync with other Alexas might never be coming. So my thoughts of calling this the best Alexa device could change as its really only the basic Alexa commands in it.
UPDATE: I hate to say it, but I am returning this in favor of the 2nd gen Echo Show. $400 after tax and all is a lot to put out when it lacks so many Alexa features and skills I mentioned in my other update. Unless you really really really and I mean REALLY video chat a lot thru Facebook, the 2nd gen Echo Show is just a much better Alexa device in almost every way plus you can still video chat with it, just the camera does not follow you. $375-400ish after tax and all, I can't just wait and hope to see what is going to be added. I can always buy it again if it ever becomes a better Alexa device.
In taking the smart home plunge, I ended up purchasing 4 Echo Shows (2nd generation) and 2 Facebook Portal+’s for my home because I wanted both, PA & Drop in function, but also a primo video chat. Here’s why I have both:
The Echo Show (2nd generation) exceeds the Portal + in overall functionality. It provides all of the features of the previous model and more. I wanted some (or all) of my primary devices to sometimes act as a PA & also be able to use the ‘Drop in’ feature when I am not home. I live in a condo and have an 8wk old puppy coming. Though I work from home, at some point if I need to go on a run or leave for an hour or two, I am still able to access the camera and speak to her if she’s barking at the front door. For now, Facebook Portal does not have this feature. With the Echo Show there is also no need for an external hub for most of my smart devices because it’s built right in. I’m unsure if Portal has this. With the Show, there is also direct access to the internet. Just ask Alexa to play movie trailers, Prime videos, etc. The display is nice, but I would chalk up the video calling and ‘Drop in’ quality to better than that of my security cameras (also high quality).
The Facebook Portal+ display and AI camera technology far exceeds that of any other device I’ve used. I purchased this for the calling feature - which is its’ primary function. During a call, you no longer need to employ being your own camera man during the call - it’s completely hands-free and smoothly follows you around the room like a movie director. I was impressed by the range at which it accurately followed me and will even follow in the direction of your voice if you happen to step out of the frame. Very limited on other functions though and I expect more are soon to follow within the year once the ‘data breach’ blah blah stuff calms down a bit. Though the Portal does not support the PA & ‘Drop in’ functions that the Echo Show has, I can still control all of my smart home devices & groups with ease and employ all of my routines with no problem.
If you’re looking for all-around functionality and more features the Echo Show (2nd) is the way to go. If quality video calling is the priority, then you can’t beat the Portal+ for now - it far exceeds everything else in that arena.
The worse part is everything else, which is a bummer since the device is huge ad expensive, so I was planning for it to replace my Amazon Echo as well.
* Audio quality is not that good on high range, and the sub range is much better and stronger, so it feels uneven.
* AI is super week. If it's the Superframe's (screensaver) algorithm of choosing my Facebook pictures, or the quality of the assistant, even lower than the stock Alexa. I hope all this gets better in time.
* Lack of applications. Besides Spotify and Facebook watch there isn't anything much there.
So bottom line, I with I would have bought the smaller set and use the device to just phone calls.
Hardware definitely is top notch and I'm looking forward to see what software improvements come to the product.