Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 152 reviews
on December 26, 2016
I found this to be a great reference book for drawing. There are a wide variety of models of all ages and a good variety of facial types. I personally liked the mix of facial expressions, from the normal everyday to the more exaggerated emotions. One thing that I particularly liked was that the expressions were shown from multiple angles, including side views, which is uncommon in face reference sets. So, if you're looking for a good solid set of reference photos, I recommend this book.
on August 18, 2017
(Review Is Of A Physical Copy) Faces are one of my consistently weaker areas in realistic drawing, so I wanted to get a good reference source to at least keep my basic forms near some anatomical accuracy. This book provides exactly that. As other have pointed out, depending on what you want from it the images may be too small. For me, it provides enough to keep me from creating a very Frankenstein looking face, so i'm fine with it.
on July 12, 2014
Update: I've gotten frustrated with this book because the pictures are really too small to draw from. I wish he had one large photo of the person so you can see some detail, and then a variety of smaller expression shots.
Original review: This is a great reference book to have on hand when you need to figure out how to communicate an emotion with facial expression. There is a good range of ages, genders, ethnicities, body types, expressions. Some of them are just hilarious to look at on their own. The expressions tend toward the extremes, and are probably most useful for cartoons or comics, but you can always tone them down if you're looking for subtlety.
on July 6, 2017
I purchased this on my Kindle believe it or not and it has been very useful. The book itself is friendly to Artist who are looking for examples, references, and guide. I use it for reference but always find myself reading about the section study!
on September 16, 2017
Ths book is pretty good -- it's exactly what I was looking for! I only gave it 4 stars because some of the images are a bit dark throughout its greyscaling images. I will be using this . . . it really is helpful!
on July 13, 2014
This was just what I was looking for and much more ... I was hoping to find a book of various facial expressions, but was delighted to see it also included pics of couples kissing, various headwear, and mouths as they look pronouncing letters. This will be an invaluable resource for my drawings.
on April 22, 2017
Great reference I just wish they were least goofy expressions.
on December 18, 2016
Old outdated looking photos, not terribly interesting or useful expressions, you're better off doing a google search unfortunately if you want expressions reference. Arrived timely and in good condition though.
on July 28, 2012
Not quite sure what I was expecting.

It's a good book if you're bad with thinking of expressions. But as many others said, the expressions are the "traditional" or what I'd call muted/subtle expressions of traditional artists. It's great for cartoonists and anyone looking for a handy reference book.

What i love is that it's got around 4 pages each of the same person, doing different expressions, or just the same expression from many different angels. And in the beginning it's got a few reference shots of the skull, in the back it contains some headgear photographs, and throughout there's some cute artist's representations in the form of caricatures.

Overall, I'd say it was a great reference book. Definitely worth the price. Just not the most exciting piece of art reference material to look at.
on January 26, 2013
My cousin has taken a real interest in drawing, and while he has a natural talent and can draw incredibly lifelike figures, we thought this would be useful for him because it shows so many different expressions you may never think you would need to see in front of you. Until that one moment when you just can't get the right look on your masterpiece's face. I've heard he's been using it a lot and playing around with the different expressions. I think it will also give him ideas for drawings by presenting him with some emotions he may not have thought to draw. Great for any artist! Would also be good for someone who does film work and wants to tell an actor what kind of expression they want from them, or something along those lines.