- Paperback: 252 pages
- Publisher: Threat Quality Press (October 29, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0982888430
- ISBN-13: 978-0982888438
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 0.6 x 8.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 13.8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 6 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #13,624,013 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Facsimile Paperback – October 29, 2010
About the Author
Erin Snyder estimates that he spends 12 hours a day working, writing, reading, communicating, and relaxing in front of several computer screens, all of which are located in New York City. For more information visit www.erinlsnyder.com
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle Edition for FREE. Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Try the Kindle edition and experience these great reading features:
Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It is either loved or hated...blah, blah, blah.
However, Facsimile has not one review/comment/rating, so I am going to be the first.
With all of new writers on the market, it is a challenge to find one who is equally thought provoking, cutting-edge and entertaining. Mr. Snyder proves he is all three with "Facsimile".
And...I loved it!
"Facsimile" is the best of what sci-fi does; it pulls you in. This is a cautionary tale that may be closer than we believe. What makes his book a hit is his ability to make me feel as though I am privy to a frighteningly possible future.
I loved his use of character dialogue; Snyder has the gift/art of the natural flow of conversation between friends, as well as that between foes...I felt like a very lucky eavesdropper.
A fly on the wall :)
I don't want to write much more, as my joy of this hidden treasure was the discovery of the world he created!
I sincerely hope that this is the beginning of a long career for this talented author.
P.S. For the time being, I will have to be content with reading his book again!
This book shines most brightly in its world building. I'm obsessed with world building, and I've encountered very few worlds as thoughtfully drawn as the on presented in Facsimile. It is that rare science fiction world that is willing to jump onto huge ideas and fully explore their implications on society. If you have ever wondered what the world would look like if our current technological and social-media culture became obsessed with classical Western philosophy, you need to read this book. If you've never wondered that, then what's wrong with you? But seriously, you don't need to know anything about philosophy to both follow and enjoy Facsimile. You might even learn something about the potential relevance of Nietzsche to your personal identity.
The characters are interesting and relatable enough to make it easy to care about what happens to them, and to imagine yourself in this near-future world that is both alien and highly believable. The plot has enough twists and turns to keep you engaged, and ultimately shows the kind of surprising and impressive restraint that separates satisfying hard SF from its hordes of imitators.
Facsimile treads familiar territory in a very broad sense, but in its intelligence and formidable dissection of its central ideas it stands alone from anything else I've ever read. Highly recommended!
For reasons I can't quite figure out I had a hard time getting into it until about 20% in, but the remaining 80% was well worth it.