Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Fadeaway Girl: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 7, 2012
I've been an avid Martha Grimes fan for years. Her Inspector Richard Jury mysteries set in England are in a class by themselves.
With the Emma Graham series, Grimes has taken a wide departure from English mysteries, and created a mystery that has at its center, the wonderful character of Emma. She's a young girl (about 12-13 years old), who quietly goes about her business of trying to solve a decades-old mystery or two.
It's the remarkable characters in these series that make them so much fun. Emma is extremely curious and intelligent. She has a wicked sense of humor, knows the foibles of the other characters and uses this knowledge to extract information about crimes that were committed long before she was born.
Emma goes about her detecting business surrounded by fey, quirky, crazy but endearing characters, who she masterfully manipulates to get the information she needs.

Set in the 1950's, in what I believe is the Maryland/West Virginia area where Emma lives in a guest hotel with her mother, brother and assorted relatives.

If a reader starts with the first book called "Hotel Paradise", they will be hooked and will have to get the sequels. These are books one wants to keep, to share out to friends, and because we know we will want to read them again!
on February 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story, though I was disappointed that the ending did not resolve as much as I had hoped. I hope there is a sequel! I've read some criticisms that the main character is too intelligent to be believable as a twelve-year-old girl. I personally found the character quite believable as precocious and highly intelligent, with some adolescent angst and awkwardness. A very engaging read.
on April 20, 2017
Most of the time I found the story line steady but once in awhile it would bog down. Not the best by Martha Grimes but good.
on July 28, 2013
"Fadeaway Girl" is the, to date, final volume in Martha Grimes tales of Emma Graham, the delightful main character in four books starting with "Hotel Paradise" and following with "Cold Flat Junction" and "Belle Ruin" and now this one. Anyone who hasn't dipped into these charming and delightful books would do well to do so, starting with "Hotel Paradise" and following on with the rest. The cast of characters who populate these books are wonderful, diverse, fascinating and very, very funny. One hopes there may be more to come. There is some mystery and quite a lot of adult tension throughout and viewed from the perspective of the twelve year old Emma it makes wonderful reading. Emma Graham, cub reporter and amateur sleuth is my favourite character of all time, she is gloriously drawn by the author and is fascinating to observe as she nuts her way through all of the problems she encounters.
I recommend this book and the others highly.
on March 2, 2016
I love this series. I went back to re-read the earlier three and found the fourth one. Emma is great, but doesn't realize how she attracts affection in her community.
on April 13, 2017
Love the characters.
on May 10, 2012
I've read almost all of Martha Grimes books and enjoyed them all. Fadeaway Girl has a lead character that is young and sounds like it would have been Martha herself at an early age. There must have been another book before this one as it refers to a murder that almost happened to Emma, the main character. In this second book Emma is a funny and intrepid newsreporter who travels far and wide to get her story. Her other characters seem quite real and I'm sure everybody has met them in some part of our lives at one time. A good read if you like Martha Grimes....Emma is a young female similiar to Richard Jury in character.
on November 2, 2016
For Hotel Paradise fans it is a treasure. I love the series and all the characters, Martha Grimes writing tugs at the heartstrings. I enjoy her Richard Jury series, but I think this series is her shining star. This writer is truly gifted, a national treasure.
on August 12, 2013
I have been a fan of Grimes Richard Jury series and thought this would be as interesting.
I was lost and "faraway" myself. This story was not very interesting as the characters were not drawn out.
Nothing like the Richard Jury characters. I found myself not caring about the main character and that' not a good
sign. Perhaps I expected more mystery and therefore was disappointed. If you are looking for a great storyline,
this will not be the one to read. It drags and there is no guesswork. It is a quick read and not much else.
on September 13, 2012
Another trip into the mind of inventive and sardonic Emma Graham,twelve-year-old master drink mixer and dectective who with absolute logic and intuition solves another crime, much to the distress of the guilty adults. The cover art embedded into the story adds another dimension of creativity. This is a perfect example of how good a book can and should be, and how an editorial staff of a publishing company can work with a writer to give us something this great.