Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 87 reviews
on April 25, 2013
I have loved both the first and second books on this trilogy. I just have a hard time with some of the Scottish words since I am reading on my tablet. It makes it harder to look back in the glossary. It is amazing how strict the churches were back in the time of the books. The punishment for breaking rules seems horrible - sitting on a stool in sack cloth in front of the whole congregation. How humiliating! I suppose it did prevent a lot of people from sinning, however I guess I am glad to live now.
I attended a women's day workshop led by Mrs. Higgs last year. I am so glad to have been introduced to her Christian fiction. She is excellent in creating her characters with great emotion and yet with maturity. I highly recommend these books to others!
on March 11, 2012
God has given Liz Curtis Higgs a VERY SPECIAL GIFT to write books. She is a natural. Not only did I get lost in her historical fiction for hours but MY HUSBAND laughed and cried with me as well, knowing how much the stories meant to me as I read them.

'Thorn in My Heart', 'Fair is the Rose', and 'Whence Came a Prince' are Biblically based and they are real. The reader experiences BEAUTIFUL, RAW, GOD GIVEN EMOTIONS while reading them. You cry, you hurt, you love, you inflate, you deflate, you heal, and you love some more.

Whatever you do, if you are a woman who is forever searching for worthy Christian fiction, PLEASE DO NOT PASS THIS SERIES (or any of Liz Curtis Higgs books) BY. Buy the books and let them bless you!
on November 20, 2007
Rose Mcbride wants what her sister Leana McKie has, a loving husband and child to call her own. After coming home sick from school though she finds out that her dream is to come true.

There had been a mix up when Leana and James McKie got married and as far as the kirk (church) is concered Jamie is still married to Rose and Ian, his son by Leana is illegitimate.

Rose and Jamie are married and Leana goes to visit her aunt several miles away.

The three try to get their lives back to normal after what has happened to them will anything be normal again? Read Fair is the Rose.
on March 31, 2007
This book follows A Thorn In My Heart which I loved and quickly ordered the next two in the series. There is no way that the plot can be called predictable and it has such character since it is written around the 18th century in Scotland. If you enjoy Higgs writing or even Irish type stories, then you will love this book. The first book leaves you amazed at the events but this book is not boring and a sudden turn of events keeps the reader guessing and entranced. I give it 5 stars because I couldn't put the first book down once I got going and couldn't wait to buy the second two.
on May 12, 2016
easy read...hard to put down....writer makes you want to continue to follow this families story....I'm hooked....thank you Liz Curtis Higgs
on May 11, 2012
this book kept me wanting to read until it was finished. Liz Curtis Higgs has done it again! Just when I thought I knew what was coming next I was surprised. It was historically interesting and accurate for the time period. Didn't like to put it down to sleep and couldn't wait to pick it up again and read what happened next. Chapters were not long so easy to read. I thoroghly enjoyed this book!
on May 7, 2009
This is the second book in a series depicting the Biblical story of Jacob, as if it were set in 1790s Scotland. The author has artfully managed to take an old theme (unrequited love, betrayed love) and make it new and not cliche at all. The result is incredible pain, and the blossoming of new life within the characters. It is a great way to learn the events in the Biblical story of Jacob. As to the book itself, it arrived quite promptly and well packaged, for which I was grateful.
on June 5, 2013
Anything by Liz is an excellent read. She's my favorite author and I highly recommend this series! Her stories hit all of the emotional buttons you're looking for in a classic story. (I will be copying this onto all the books in this series, so don't be alarmed that it's someone scamming the reviews.)
on February 21, 2014
I am new to Liz Curtis Higgs, but do I enjoy well-researched historical fiction. I could not put it down. I was fortunate enough to get book 3 through my public library.

For a good interesting read, consider this series by Liz Curtis Higgs.
on March 29, 2016
Lots of ups and downs. Keeps you in suspense but loving the backdrop and characters.