Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Fair and Tender Ladies
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 28, 2017
The story kept my attention and aroused deep feelings about the struggles each of us faces. Ivy is like no one I have known. Independent, very smart, an avid reader, a free spirit, a great lover. She did not want to hurt those she loved and she did not care what anyone else thought of her actions. Ivy is bigger than life and loved with great passion. Life in the mountains of Virginia is cruel and beautiful beyond imagination. 40 years of change running parallel with other lives across America.
on May 27, 2017
Yes, this book most definitely met my expectations! I have been reading her books đź“š since she began to publish her stories. My only complaint is that she doesn't publish her wonderful books more often, particularly those about the people and places of southwest Virginia where she was born and raised.
on March 16, 2017
The writing of this engaging story is just so beautiful.
on March 20, 2016
I loved this book and the main character, Ivy. She tells you about her life in chronological order in a phonetically spelled mountain dialect through letters she has written to her family and friends over the years. Ivy was born in the Appalachian Mts in Virginia and lives there all her life. You see the beauty of the mountains and its isolated culture through her descriptions of her home. Her childhood dream was to grow up to be a writer about love. And this is what she achieves in her letter writing over her lifetime. Each letter tells a story of another kind of Love.
on July 29, 2016
One of the best books I have read in a long time. I cannot adequately express the range of emotions evoked by the characters in this book and the depth of the personality of the main character caused me to think and question and at last, to understand. I like books that help me to grow in understanding of human nature. This is the kind of book that help the reader to grow in human kindness, if allowed.
on November 10, 2017
Good prose
on July 21, 2017
At first I had a hard time getting into the book , but really ended up enjoying it. Gave our book club a lot to talk about!
on September 14, 2015
I just completed reading this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the way the Applachian people spoke, it is sort of slang. I did have to reread certain lines again to make sure I understood what I was reading. Excellent book. I will read others by this same author. I will go to my book club and participate in this discussion and to hear the views of others of what they thought of the book. Would recommend this to others.
on October 14, 2012
Lee Smith takes us on a historical fictional tour of rural south in the late 19th to mid 20th century through the life if Ivy Rowe. Ivy's life experiences are chronicled in letters to living and dead family and friends.
Intelligent and independent Ivy's early life is a large family on a mountain top. The family leaves the mountain for a small town after her Father passes and farming on the mountain is no longer sustainable.
Town life introduces the reader to a rich parade of characters that directly touch Ivy and her siblings. Ivy's complex nature and curiosity drives her to experience life on the edge, no matter the consequences.
Lee Smith beautifully chronicles the life of a Steel Magnolia through Ivy Rowe and we are the better for it.
on February 15, 2014
This book was excellent. I loved the format. The letters written to family members that told Ivy's life story. The description of the mountains was just exhilarating. I loved how she described the mining town and houses. This author is just exceptional. I can hardly wait to read another one of her books. I thought Guest on Earth was good, but this was even better. This author is quite a story teller. Read this book asap and be prepared for hours of enjoyment!!