Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

VINE VOICEon December 1, 2010
This book is beautiful. Not only do you have the larger pop-ups that spring to life when you turn the page, but there are also several mini pop-up pages within a page. The artistry is beautiful, and the pop-ups can be viewed from different angles to see different parts of the picture (unlike traditional pop-ups that are designed to be viewed from one reading angle only).

I disagree with Amazon and/or the publisher (not sure who is to blame for this) about the appropriate age/grade range. It's listed on the product page as for ages 4-8 and grades 1-6. It's definitely NOT for preschoolers. The mini pop-ups are too hard for little hands to open, plus it's too delicate. Additionally, the text is more appropriate for elementary or older kids. I actually think this would be best as a gift for a pre-teen, teenager, and young-at-heart adult who loves fairies. I purchased my copy for someone in her 60s who I know will love it!
on January 1, 2018
My daughter adores this book! If you have a little fan of fairies and magical stories this book is for you!
on March 1, 2013
I purchased this book for a fastidious 8 year old. The pop ups are glorious works of art. Multiple detailed pop ups on every page - the stuff that dreams are made of! The stories are detailed and written much like a true encylopedia - some are pleasant tales and others a wee bit darker. Navigated the pop up pockets takes patient hands. I would highly recommend this book for about age 8 or 9 and up. I will be buying the next in the series.
on November 28, 2012
This book, and the others by Matthew Reinhart, are incredible! They are insanely detailed and planned out. Each page has a large and very elaborate pop-up as the main focus of the page, and then 4 more small pop-ups on each corner. The smaller ones are just as creative and intricate.

Cheaper pop-up books can fold in wrong when trying to close them, but these close just right every time! They are so complicated in design that I am afraid that when I go to close it that it will bend or crease wrong, but it closes smoothly and correctly.

I bought 5 of his books for Christmas present and read them all ahead of time. You can tell right when you open them that someone put a ton of love and pride into the planning and production of these books. Highly recommend these!
on April 20, 2010
I always loved pop-up books as a child - and still do as a 72 year old. They do much to stimulate the imagination: better than books merely with pictures and much, much better than TV or movies (which leave little for a child to imagine on his/her own). Although pop-ups tend to be fragile this one seems a little sturdier that usual. I bought this book as a birthday present for a little girl who will be four in July. She not only believes in fairies but thinks she is one herself! I can't wait to see the surprise and delight on her face when she opens this. I know her mother will supervise her enjoyment of the book until she is old enough to be less destructive with it.

Furthermore, the price of this book (with the discount) can't be beat. Also the packaging was done very well. Besides the robust mailing package it came in it was wrapped in a clear covering that is like a pouch that can be opened for examination and resealed for presentation.
on July 16, 2008
 This book lives up to the standard that Matthew Reinhart and Robert Sabuda have set with first rate pop-up engineering. Every page has a central pop-up that is beautiful and interesting. Each page is further embellished with a minimum of two corner pull-outs that are also pop-ups in themselves with history as to the folklore of fairies. From this perspective, it is top notch.

The area where I was a little disappointed was in the history of the fairies themselves. It starts out interesting enough explaining that fairies appear in the legends of every continent. But it tends to focus on the darker aspects of the folklore. I've never researched the history of fairies, but I prefer to think of them as benevolent beings. Most of the stories focused on their pranks and the misfortune they can bring. The final corner pullout talked about the English girls who supposedly played with fairies and set up a camera to catch them on film. It was a well publicized case because it was later exposed as a hoax. They had used cuts out from an old children's catalog. The girls admitted their prank but claimed that one photograph was authentic.

I loved the artwork and pop-ups, but the actual text made me feel creepy sometimes, and in the end, sort of sad. While I will show it to my children, I will use my own words to describe the fairy world. If you're really into pop-up books, this is worth adding to your collection, but if your true interest is the lighter side of fairies, I prefer the pop-up book How to Find Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2014
It's an amazing book, breathless from the first page until the last one, because each pop-up is really beautiful, without even giving attention to the text, just the pop-ups this book worth every cent. I bought this book for my wife, she is a Fairies fan, and this book is now hers favorite, she love it, the mother earth popup is amazing, the castle, the tiny pop-up are so incredible well made it, believe me, worth 100% your money.
on December 1, 2010
I purchased this book as a Christmas gift for my little 4 year-old step-niece who LOVES fairies and pretty mythical creatures. The pop ups are complex, bold and very beautiful. The little corner flap pop-ups will allow her to interact/take part in the book...though they are a bit tricky to pull out of their corner holders, so I expect the book will go through a good deal of pulling and accidental tearing of pages unless an adult is there to help. The pages and paper ARE very sturdy though. There isn't a story to this; rather, there are interesting little facts of the worlds/histories of fairies, elves, gnomes, and merpeople. I'm not sure a 4 year old will be captivated by this, but she'll grow into liking such details as much as she loves little fictional stories:)
on June 24, 2017
Beautiful pop up
on January 31, 2017
I purchased the Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical...book. It is truly an incredible book! It was a used copy but was in beautiful condition. In fact such good condition I gave it as a gift!