Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Very Short Fairly Interesting and Reasonably Cheap Book About Studying Leadership (Very Short, Fairly Interesting & Cheap Books)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on February 28, 2013
Maybe I was just off base, but I was expecting a short, easy, and interesting read about types of leadership and leadership principles. Unfortunately I was misled.

About the title. It was not "short" as the title claims. There are 151 pages of actual reading material from the intro to the last chapter. The font appears to be either 7 or 8-point font, which is their way of stuffing more info into it while still claiming the book is short. It was not really very interesting either. It's quite dry, though I will say that they're true to their word that it doesn't use much technical jargon. It is reasonably cheap. 1 out of 3 for the title.

The book doesn't talk about styles or methods of leadership, but rather the authors complain about the studies that have been done on transformational leadership (while never actually defining transformational leadership.) They also seem shy away from drawing their own conclusions. For example, when answering the question about the difference between a leader and a manager, they never answered the question, instead choosing to pit leadership philosophers against each other. In the end their conclusion to the question is that both "make an important contribution to the vitality and sustainability of all organizations, whether private, public, or not-for-profit."

For your benefit, I will give you the subjects of each chapter:

1) Introduction
2) Leadership
3) Followership
4) The impact of culture on leadership
5) "Critical and distributed perspectives on leadership" (co-leadership, leaderless group leadership, etc.)
6) "Leadership with a higher purpose" (ethics of leadership)
7) Conclusion

I wouldn't recommend it, but perhaps my expectations about what this book was about were off-base. This book really isn't about types of leadership or leadership principles, but about STUDYING leadership.
on October 29, 2014
Absolutely first rate. A joy to read. The easy, good humoured style distils and delivers a wealth of profound information available from no other leadership book. Highly recommended for sophisticated experts and ambitious neophytes alike.
on December 2, 2012
I purchased the book to get a quick review of the subject. While I was not disappointed, I was diapointed in the price. It should by in the $10 and under range to make it more accessable to more student readers.
on November 7, 2015
The title of this book was very misleading, and the font used to print it was the smallest I have seen used in a scholarly book. Yes the book has good information but I stopped reading it because it was giving me a headache from strainin my eyes so much. I guess that was the only way the authors could crammed so much information in it. My professor stated she will be writing a letter to the editor to convey her disappointing experience with the book and she apologized profusely to our class for recommending this book to us.
on August 9, 2013
I like "A Very Short, Fairly Interesting and Reasonably Cheap Book About Studying Leadership" by Brad Jackson & Ken Parry as it is ideal to use for teaching my leadership students. It poses good questions, provides good links to relevant resources, and doesn't try too hard to provide all the answers. It provokes rather than closing down discussion. Great little book.
on April 30, 2008
With strong endorsements from Avolio and Grint "A very short..." should be 'dog eared' and on top of your desk not clean and crisp in your bookshelf. This book is as relevant to business, as it is to the military, as it is to our sporting teams, as it is to those who pass through our universities.
on September 16, 2013
This is pretty chatty style book, easy to read and relevant to modern leadership. I had to get this for a course and propbably won't keep it on my kindle, but it did the job!
on August 12, 2012
An excellent well balanced review of leadership issues, providing stimulus for further reading, thinking and research.This book delivers on its title promise and more.
on March 6, 2014
A different way to approach leadership. The authors uses all kinds of theories and researchers giving their point of view always respecting all others research.
on January 22, 2016
Book description is deceiving the book is small the print is tiny and it's a hard read. Would not recommend