Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 313 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 881 reviews
on August 30, 2017
I was looking forward to the next book in this series. So far he has written some entertaining plots with significant character development. This book, however, strove to drive home a stereotype of those who receive welfare as lazy and entitled. I can take some ideological commentary, but this book droned on and on, striving to reiterate a point at the cost of the plot. I don't think I will continue in this series as there is plenty of entertaining reading available which does not strive to make a political statement based off of a "drunk uncle" sort of logic.
on July 27, 2015
These books are starting to feel like wading through thick mud. I love the content but everything seems to be sooooooo drawn out! There is so much filler that doesn't seem necessary and then it kind of seems like the author gets sick of writing and just ends abruptly. I think this will be the last of the series I will be reading.
on September 11, 2017
Love this book and story, have read it 4 times and thinking about reading it again. Shows Richards perseverance, love, tolerance, charisma, and all the other features that make an awesome main character.
on July 25, 2017
I am thoroughly enjoying this series! I have a hard time putting it down. I recommend it to anyone who loves getting involved with characters for the long haul.
on January 29, 2017
I read this for the first time years ago and the originality of the world building and character development occupied most of my thoughts. This time around, the political and philosophical commentary stood out much more clearly. I can see that turning some readers off, but I find it adds considerably to the narrative. There is less action than the earlier books, but is still able to maintain interest.
on January 15, 2015
For anyone who has any love for Richard and Kahlan, this party of the series is absolutely heartbreaking. I love the struggle with the Sister of the Dark, Nicci, as it gives us an inner understanding of her thoughts and builds a sympathy for her, while still allowing you to become unbelievably frustrated with her world views. And with war raging in the New World, I like that we get to see the Old World and meet some of its inhabitants. It puts the war against the order in a different, unexpected perspective. This is one of my very favorite books in the series. (And anyone who loves this series as I do probably knows how hard it is to pick a favorite)
on October 11, 2000
After reading several opinions condemning Mr. Goodkind for expressing his beliefs in fiction, ie: how DARE he?, I was pleased to find this book both enjoyable and thoughtfully provocative. This sixth of the series is definitely not for the religious or politically intolerant for it exposes the underbelly of all too many institutions in society here and abroad which is guaranteed to tweak the vested.
Richard remains entirely sympathetic as he faces extremely hard choices while under captivity by Jagang's mistress, the dark sister Nicci. He is forced to leave his beloved Kahlan to deal with her own desperate challenge to save their new world from being overthrown by the Order. It is a wrenching story of loss of freedom and self determination as they face betrayal by alleged allies, and desperation when they realize that they cannot win the war and must help their people flee the ravenous juggernaut of the Order's army ruled by a craven religous fanatic, the Emperor Jagang. Richard states the story's main theme when he says: "Freedom requires effort if it is to be won and vigilance if it is to be maintained... People just don't value freedom until it's taken away."
This bedrock is the concept of freedom from tyranny, whatever its form. Richard makes the single most powerful statement that defines his character and his actions throughout this story: "The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason...what exists, exists; what is, is...this is the foundation from which life is embraced".
The story is one of unravelling the lies, the terror of power in the hands of the corrupt and the question of whether a person is ruled by emotion or logic, fear or choice. It is a powerful image of courage. This book is for the thinking person for it is very deep and a welcome change from fantasy that tells a story but has no story.
Richard's sculpture of the man and woman called "Life" becomes the symbol of hope and a call to the people of the old world to break free from the Order's crushing tyranny. "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it." He does not want to supplant one form of tyranny with another, nor is he interested in ruling. Richard's call is for individual self empowerment.
Faith of the Fallen is a modern story within an ancient story in the context of fantasy. And, perhaps, Mr. Goodkind's invitation for each of us to examine our own concepts of freedom, quality of life, self determination and courage. If so, BRAVO.
on May 23, 2016
This was an excellent book, as all the Sword of Truth books have been. The writing and storytelling are great, and I would recommend the series to anyone who likes fantasy.

That said, I only give it 4 stars because the way some characters end up in the same place is a bit too heavy handed in this one. Terry Goodkind usually does a good job of making this a bit smoother, but here it seems like maybe it could have been handled a little better.
on May 12, 2017
This was a great read. I've read it before and decided to give it a go again. I've enjoyed the series so far and am blasting through the rest. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.
on October 13, 2013
Terry Goodkind wrights fiction but with excellent flow and the caricatures are strong and dependable. You can read knowing that from one book in a series to the next that they will stay right on point with with each turn of the page. Story lines are exciting and eat up the hours while you allow yourself to experience the ride. Very good reading for running away from the realities of day to day hum drum life.