Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 190 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 11:19:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 11:21:01 PM PDT
B. Lawless says:
I love the threatening undertone of your post. Thank you. I'm not really worried about people knowing who I am. It just gives me more accountability. I only want to find the truth in this.

The business which you speak of is a very small computer repair business which I started in high school and am using to help pay for college. The "expert in all things computer" is an overstatement. I know that. I just couldn't come up with anything better to fill that spot at the time I created it.

Good luck with everything you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 11:28:40 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 6:23:27 AM PDT
Any undertone is an injection of the reader. I prefer to help, not to hinder. You have your natural suspicions - and that is healthy - so try to apply them to common sense.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 9:37:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 9:39:10 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:57:57 AM PDT
My apologies, Kotton Kandee. My post was a response to Lawless, not you. I had not seen your post, so I therefore failed to identify the direction of my response.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 10:18:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 10:20:06 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 9:30:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 6, 2011 9:31:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 11:05:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2011 11:12:39 AM PDT
B.D. says:
I went through few dozen 5-star reviewer's profiles and interestingly enough, for the vast majority, this is the ONLY product the have ever reviewed. It's possible this is just a REALLY great product, but you can't blame anyone for being skeptical. With all the routers on the market now, why is THIS one rated so highly? It's very interesting. I tried finding reviews of this specific router from various tech websites to no avail. I even took a long shot and went to places like afterdawn and AVS. I then did a general google search not able to find even a simple blog post where someone had reviewed it. Then I went to youtube (where you will find tons of other routers being reviewed) and found NONE. I did find a few videos of still images of this router with links for "more info" ... which lead directly to it's Amazon product page. Why would videos like this exist?

I mention all of this, simply because I too was very weary of all of it's 5-star reviews, lack of a middle ground and few low reviews (and yet outside of Amazon, could find nothing.) This seems very odd to me, because virtually every router I've looked at with a decent number of a reviews will have this, from all the "big" brands that have been around for a while. I'm in the market for a new router (my old Linksys has been dying on me for the past month or so) and I've looked at a lot of products, reading their reviews. I suspected fake reviews for this after reading through a bunch, which as the OP of this topic pointed out, seem very same-ish. Then I went down to the discussion section and low and behold someone had already made a topic. "Ha! I figured." It didn't surprise me at all. That said, there is no proof to be found in this thread. I was hoping to find some in this thread to confirm my suspicions, but it seems that's all they will remain as for now. Just like the OP.

Again, me and the topic starter, B. Lawless could be wrong. But there are a lot of things that throw up red flags for me. I MAY actually give this router a shot. Worse comes to worse, I find it to be a bad product and just return it to Amazon. That still wouldn't be enough for me to conclude that my suspicions were right, as that would just be unfair confirmation bias. But it wouldn't help relieve them either. If I do end up testing this router out, I will give it an objective review. I just thought I would add my two cents as I felt similarly to the OP, and I don't think he/she is being at all unreasonable (although it would be better form to voice suspicions but not make out and out accusations without concrete proof.)

This stuff does, unfortunately, happen more than one would like to think.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 4:51:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2011 11:50:26 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 3:59:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 4:16:57 PM PDT
B. Lawless says:
I just noticed that not only is this router made and sold by Tenda, but it also sold by Nexxt Solutions (http://bit.ly/nndQqr). The FCC website verifies that this is the exact same router (http://bit.ly/qAPw3u).

edit: I can't link directly to the FCC website, but if you want to check it out for yourself you can go to the FCC website (http://bit.ly/pH9A9f) and enter XKP for the "Grantee Code." This will link you to all the Medialink licenses.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 7:50:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2011 10:22:14 PM PDT
bytemarks says:
Nice catch B. Lawless! I am currently viewing the document dated 24/02/2010 that grants Medialink Products, LLC to apply to the FCC for a change of identification of the Tenda V7TW268R. Nexxt Solutions intends to market the same product as XKPMWN-WAPR150N whereas Medialink is marketing the product as MWN-WAPR150N. Tenda is marketing the product as the Tenda W268R. This is quite a success story for Tenda.

As for the reviews, I tend to take them at face value. I believe that people sharing both the positives and the negatives of a product enriches our online shopping experience.

Personally, I am searching the internet to find a replacement DSL modem for my current Centurylink (formally EMBARQ) Westell Model 7500 DSL modem router as Centurylink wants to charge a $4.95 monthly forever charge for its use. At the same time, I will be adding a wireless router. What had started a seemingly simple quest, has turned into a daunting experience. It is through my research, that I ended up at this thread.

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 7:41:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2012 6:37:15 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 11:27:15 PM PDT
Joe Gump says:
I bought this router and had a good experience. I even called up the company and complimented them. B Lawless, why don't you just buy one and make an informed decision? If you don't like it, I am sure you can get a refund and if you like it you can write a four star review. This accusation without you having tried the product is unfair, try one out or apologize.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 12:26:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2011 1:24:09 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 10:42:57 AM PDT
Great point. I love how he's gone after them like a pack of lions on a gazelle, but hasn't used the product himself. He could have bought units, tested them, and returned them ten times over in the time he's taken to slammed them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 10:20:28 PM PDT
Neo Anderson says:
Well you can see my other reviews on amazon. I do agree that some companies might do what you are implying, but I don't work for this company, i am happy customer. Happy customer = free advertisement.
A company for some time can do such tactics what you mentioned after that true reviews come out and people get the truth.

Just like folks love apple products and once they buy not all but most of them become fan boys and start defending apple and it's product, something similar might be happening here.

So while you concern is valid which i had as well, after buying and using the product for a while they are gone.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:18:19 PM PDT
4edict says:
What does this have to do with anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:23:09 PM PDT
4edict says:
Why the heck would you call the company to compliment them? Are you serious?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:54:38 PM PDT
4edict says:
"So, I'm going to waste 5 minutes of my Sunday and chime in here from a completely different perspective. "

Completely different perspective? Your perspective is identical! And so is your tone, and the character you've chosen to adopt in this peculiar play. I.e. honest, disinterested consumer who has just happened to wander by this discussion, and chooses to inject a little bit of common sense into the argument.

"What quickly becomes clear from reading the thread is that B Lawless has been posting comments about this router for almost two months. TWO MONTHS? Extremely suspicious. "

What the heck is suspicious about this? Its incredibly irritating as a die hard amazon customer to see people play the system. Everything about this product and its reviews and this discussion sets off alarm bells. I imagine it gives Lawless a good deal of satisfaction revealing this info. It is inherently satisfying for me to see people who abuse the system get served. I've been defrauded by these types of sellers before and it pisses me off. There is NOTHING suspicious about Lawless' comments. I admire that he gives a damn.

"So you search the FCC website to find out who their hardware supplier is? Huh? You search to see where their employees worked and who their former co-workers were? Seriously?"

This evidence is irrefutable! Neither the company nor any of the maybe/maybe not shills in this thread have even denied that this company is repackaging cheap hardware (which no doubt works, but is overpriced at 49.99). Will you or some representative deny and attempt to disprove this claim?

Furthermore I'm thoroughly impressed that this guy dug up info from the FCC purely in an effort to help customers avoid being fooled. And then actually connected the dots to show that people posting these silly reviews had an employment relationship with the manufacturer.

"Let me play along here and ask a silly question. Why is B Lawless spending hours of time over two months googling away and searching the FCC website trying to find out who makes Medialink's hardware?"

Because Lawless, like me, really doesn't like being strung along, doesn't like to see amazon's incredible, useful, time-saving, efficiency boosting, quality of life enhancing ecommerce architecture get gamed.

"Clearly, one has to question whether there are competitors to Medalink on here that are not happy for some reason with how well their router product is being received."

Medialink's competitors didn't get where they are by paying people to post fake dissenting topics on amazon and etc, they got where they are by offering solid products at the lowest possible cost (which is by the way what Tenda is doing, matching cost to a set of advertised features and characteristics). Its telling that you would allege this sort of sneaky nonsense.

"I've spent 10 minutes reading this silly thread and another 10 minutes on this post and I already feel as though I have completely wasted 20 minutes of my life that I can never get back."

Well I'm sorry you feel so silly. Rather than settle in and read a book tomorrow night I might come back here, follow up, see if Lawless has dug up any more dirt, and see if once and for all,

1. anyone has successfully refuted his claim regarding the FCC change of ID request
2. anyone has explained why the product has 0 reviews on major tech blogs/ review sites (cnet, toms' hardware, whatever)
3. anyone can explain why, in fact, google returns a TON of results for suspicious/spam sites with poor reputation
4. whether anyone can explain the obvious statistical anomaly in the distribution of reviews (high number of 5s)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:22:49 AM PDT
Joe Gump says:
Do you only call to complain? If something is good say so. It doesn't cost anything to be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:38:15 AM PDT
Joe Gump says:
Maybe it's a great product with great customer service. It may be a proven product sold under a different name and marketed at Amazon with a name which is new to us. Maybe there isn't a conspiracy and maybe good things and good companies really do exist. Try them out. If you don't like their router then write about it. Or try a one star product where you believe the reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:38:32 AM PDT
4edict says:
Who did you talk to? The receptionist? Did they put you through to the VP of product development? Or did you talk to "Tyler" or whatever his name is?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 12:46:54 AM PDT
4edict says:
"Maybe it's a great product with great customer service."

Nobody is really even discussing customer service here. Lets focus on items 1 through 4 in my post above.

"It may be a proven product sold under a different name and marketed at Amazon with a name which is new to us."

Well actually that's been quite well established. The question is why was the price also doubled, and why are there so many fishy reviews?

"Maybe there isn't a conspiracy..."

Using the word "conspiracy" in your arguments is cheap because it has a discrediting effect on its own. I'm not asserting that there is a conspiracy, I'd just like to see the points above addressed directly.

"...and maybe good things and good companies really do exist."

I'm told they do ;)

"Try them out."

This is silly. Reviews are great because they allow me to avoid having to try every product out before I choose something. This is true at least when the reviews are honest.

"Or try a one star product where you believe the reviews. "

At least with a one star product you know what you're getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 1:02:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2011 1:08:56 AM PDT
B. Lawless says:
Just out of curiosity Neo Anderson, I looked at your other reviews. If it's not too intrusive to ask, can I ask why you purchased this router in addition to the Apple AirPort Extreme? It seems like one router would be sufficient for a home network, especially when the Apple router is a technically superior router.

Also, are you a native English speaker? I don't normally hear the phrase "way much better" from native speakers.

In addition, what other sites did you read about this router on? I'd love to see some outside opinions on it.

Right now, all I'm gathering is this is a router designed, programmed and manufactured in China. There is an identical model to this one for sale $30 cheaper on Meritline. The company who sells it on Amazon (Medialink/Mediabridge), has done nothing to market it (unless potentially offending reviews count). Yet, it is the best selling router on Amazon, and has glowing reviews all around.

The only plus I can potentially see with this router is that it has tech support based in American. And they are only around Tuesday-Saturday 8am-6pm. Even if the company has great tech support, wouldn't the best product be one where you never had to contact them?

I'm also noticing that 5 star reviews written around the same time tend to have similar items in their wish list/reviews. For instance, http://amzn.to/oBkcg0 reviewed a Weber gas grill, http://amzn.to/quw62G happens to want several weber grill products. http://amzn.to/mOuq45 reviews and wants Star Wars items, http://amzn.to/p0bQYH also wants star wars items.

In another review, this reviewer (http://amzn.to/mXhW96) also calls "Pillars of the Earth" a movie. It is in fact an eight part TV series. It's kinda hard to confuse the two really, unless you didn't actually watch it.

I realize none of this is concrete proof, but there are just too many oddities for me to just brush this off...

p.s. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear from another person who doesn't have the same story Leigh. Thanks for stepping in. My name is Blake btw.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 1:06:56 AM PDT
B. Lawless says:
I can't help but wonder, that if Medialink claims to have been around in this business for a long time under a different name, why the heck are they just re-branding products designed by another company?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  70
Total posts:  190
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2015

Search Customer Discussions