- File Size: 2457 KB
- Print Length: 561 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Down Island Press; 1 edition (July 8, 2015)
- Publication Date: July 8, 2015
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B011AKJH0C
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #50,384 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Fallen Series: A Jesse McDermitt Bundle (Caribbean Adventure Series Book 0) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
Unbelievably, I could not stop reading, and even though I sometimes skipped technicalities and all kinds of machinery specifications (which I am sure fans of this genre will love), the story line was interesting and easy to follow, and kept me interested all along, despite the violence, which is not really that much. I was willing to stand it in order to get all the story.
One thing I really loved about these books is that it was evident that Wayne truly ENJOYED writing this. I appreciate that a lot.
I NEVER imagined I could get attached to a character who is a hardened war veteran. Well: I was very wrong! :) I love Jesse!
For me, I have to put the book down and walk away for a while to allow the disappointment to dissipate before I can go back. Too many of these in total, or worse, several in just a few pages of reading, ruins an otherwise acceptable, and maybe even good, book.
The willing suspension of disbelief is an unspoken pact between author and reader. The level required is up to the author. Perhaps the required frequency is a direct reflection on the competency of the wordsmith. Fewer is better. You'll have to determine for yourself whether Mr. Stinnett exceeded the threshold of your personal BS detector. He was right at the ragged edge on mine.
This is a three story set – a prelude and the first two books of the Jesse McDermitt sagas.
Fallen Palm, the first of the series, was going good until I reached chapters 37 through 39. Then my ability to suspend disbelief was sorely tested. Several times. But... it was near the end of this book and I suppose some loose ends had to be tied up, even if the logic was messy. Sigh.
Be warned: Mr. Stinnett seems to have the same affliction the Geo. R.R. Martin does in Game of Thrones – lots of characters die gruesome deaths.
Next, #2 in the series, Fallen Hunter.
Yet again we're subjected to situations that beggar our suspension of disbelief. But then I think back to other depictions of violence – specifically the movie Scarface and Al Pacino's character, Tony Montana. My reality is limited to comfortable suburbia. So maybe the level of violence in this book has more of a basis in fact than I'd like to admit.
Secret Agent Guy! Forget all that fiat money. Secrecy and obfuscation are the real currencies of governments. Us poor civilian slobs get wind of (maybe) 1/1000 of 1% of the stuff that really happens. Though these are novels, I cannot help but wonder how close to reality some of the scenarios really are? But then again, I don't really want to know. Do you?
Yeah, it's possible that Mr. Stinnett is making the drama up out of whole cloth – a fertile imagination runs rampant if that's true. But I suspect that there is more basis in fact than not.
Regardless of the need to put the books down and walk away until my disappointment recedes, I'll reluctantly give this trilogy 5 stars – and buy the next books in the Jesse McDermitt universe.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Sea Adventures
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Sea Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Sea Adventures
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Travel