Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition - Playstation 3
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on October 14, 2009
Original review published 10/14/2009:

I pre-ordered this game from Amazon and it arrived right on the release date! I was very happy with that.

Now, I had already been an owner of the base Fallout 3 game, and when I found out the GOTY edition was going to be released, which included all five "expansions" (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta), I knew I had to have it! This is especially considering PS3 owners had to sit back and wait while XBOX360 owners had them available months and months ago. Each of these expansions were selling for $10 for 360 owners, but now we can have the original game ($35) plus the DLC ($50 total) for $60 (total savings of $25). Not too shabby.

People have a few concerns with loading time, crashing, and save files not carrying over. I haven't experienced any issues with crashing (my original Fallout 3 crashed once in my 30+ hours of gameplay), but perhaps I can help shed light on the other two concerns.

1.) Long load times - When I first exited my house in Megaton, the game took about 2-3 minutes to load. This is *much* longer than usual. However, this is because the new content is initializing. Instantly, Point Lookout and The Pitt showed up in my quests. Next, I fast-traveled somewhere and again the load time was 2-3 minutes. Upon arriving at my destination, the remaining three quests (Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Mothership Zeta) became available. After this, load times were back to normal. Also, there were some frame rate issues at first coupled with the game freezing for one or two seconds periodically, but this ceased after about an hour or two of playing. I attribute these issues to the new quests being available and the game syncing up with your particular save game.

2.) Save files not carrying over - This is a regional issue. In the U.S., most players are not having difficulties. However, in Canada, I'm hearing a lot about how they only have an option to start a new game in the GOTY edition. This is because they played the Canadian version of the original Fallout 3 and it appears that saves generated by certain Canadian editions of the game aren't being recognized by the GOTY Edition. This is obviously a glaring problem for Canadian players, so we can only hope that Bethesda releases a patch to address this issue.

All in all, each DLC quest will add anywhere between 3-4 hours of additional gameplay (so about 15-20 more hours total). There are also new enemies and weapons introduced. The most significant DLC is Broken Steel, which adds an additional 10 levels to achieve, 14 new perks, and 6 new achievements to unlock, and probably the largest addition to gameplay time. As for sheer enjoyment, Point Lookout and The Pitt offer great excitement due to their intricate story lines and engaging environments.

If you are a PS3 owner and Fallout 3 fan, this is the compilation that you've been waiting for! More missions, more guns, more enemies, more perks, more hours of fun! Even if you own the original copy, I would advise you to re-sell it and pick up a copy of the GOTY edition. Also, keep in mind that the issues people are having are only a patch fix away. I feel these are rare (or just misunderstood), and your gameplay experience will not suffer in the least. The 2008 game of the year just got better in 2009!

UPDATE (1/28/2011): It's been over a year since I wrote this, so I thought I would update this review with some new insight.

Freezes. Oh my goodness, this game has frozen at least once every time I play this. When I first wrote my review, I had a little over 30 hours logged. Now I'm up to 52+ hours and have only a few more quests to complete before I finish the entire game (DLC included). However, I don't know if I'll be able to play anymore.

The game freezes mostly during combat. After I shoot an enemy, the game will come to a halt. At first, I would just restart my PS3 for a short-term fix. If I hadn't saved recently, well, too bad. The worst was when I started Operation: Anchorage. I had played for about 45 minutes without saving before the game froze. All progress lost.

After awhile, I realized that the game didn't entirely freeze. It's peculiar, really. The game will just stop working for perhaps two or three minutes before starting up again. This is beyond annoying, though. To go along with the freezes, I often run into some serious frame rate issues. I'm talking like one or two frames every few seconds or so. This usually happens right before the game is about to freeze.

Some theories correlate the constant freezing to the size of your save file. I can see a connection. As your game time raises, so does the size of your save file. At the start of the game, it might be 3.5 MB or so. Mine currently is over 9 MB. I've heard that people with 19 MB save files run into freezes every 10 minutes. That is unacceptable!

It really is a shame. This game is super fun, and the add-ons offer so much more to the original game. I just wish I could play it for more than half an hour before I have to turn off my Playstation out of frustration due to the constant freezes. It just takes you out of the immersion of the game. How sad.
2727 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2009
To start off, I loved the base game of Fallout 3, I got it when it first came out, and sure it had its fair share of problems, but it was still great.

And so the story continues with 5 new DLC's, which add new items and locations to your already large choosings.

But alas, this game feels as though little to no testing was done in the game. It is plagued with glitches, frame rate issues, lag issues, freezing issues, amongst other annoying problems I hadn't experienced in my initial Fallout 3 experience. I believe that the game froze my PS3 at least 15 times across all 5 DLC's, this also included exploring some areas from the the original copy. These problems occur often, inspiring a new found hatred for the game. To be short, the problems are terrible, annoying, and large in number.

But despite its problems, the game does manage to do a lot of things right:

1) You can use you saves from the original copy if you still have them!
2) New weapons and items are (mostly) very useful and powerful
3) Point Lookup continues the game's-experience with many side-quests and sandbox gameplay
4) The level cap is raised to level 30.
5) The game can now continue after the main-quests are over!
6) You can find a lot more ammo for the Alien Blaster!
7) The quests from the DLC (while they are nothing special) add a few more hours of gameplay
8) $110 worth of games for $60 is a great deal!

The DLC's are solid, but are not great. They feel like the main game's side quests to me, as they feel unimportant, but the rewards are worth playing for. My favorite weapons and apparel are from the DLC including: Winterized Power Armor, Tesla Cannon, Gauss Rifle, Samurai Armor, Samurai sword, Auto-axe/ Manopener, infiltrator/perforator, tribeam laser rifle, double barreled shotgun, level-action rifle, Alien Disintegrator I would have like to have seen more length and depth to each DLC, as no single DLC took more than 3 hours to complete (with the exception of Point Lookout's side quests and exploration)

I'd be hesitant to recommend this to anyone but hardcore Bethsda and Fallout fans, until a patch comes out that if not eliminates the problems, at least minimizes them.
1111 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'll start first by saying that I am a huge fan of Fallout 3. I logged more than 100 hours over the course of about a year playing the game and I never really got tired of it. When I originally reviewed Fallout 3 I gave the game 4-out-of-5 Stars. The only major detraction I found in the original game was the ending. Thankfully Bethesda saw to revise the ending for the "GOTY" edition. So needless to say, I expected a good game to get even better.

So I decided to go ahead and purchase the "Game of the Year" retail package instead of downloading the individual episodic content. The "GOTY" edition of Fallout 3 comes with all the content released on the Playstation Network and XBox Live packed on the disc - Broken Steel, Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta.

Unfortunately for PS3 owners it seems that once again we're getting a sub-par product. Shortly after booting up the game and starting the "Broken Steel" content I encountered some terrible frame-rate issues and eventually game-ending freezes that required a reboot of the PS3. These same issues have progressively gotten worse with each new episode. Parts of Operation Anchorage are borderline unplayable. I'm dreading the next quest - The Pitt because of the same problems.

The worst part of this all is that my regular copy of Fallout 3 rarely froze. Now even when just exploring the Wasteland - not even doing anything related to the GOTY content - my game will freeze. I would say in any given hour I'm restarting my PS3 on average 2 or 3 times. Over and over.

I really can't believe that any company would stamp their name on such a poor product. Bethesda should be ashamed to have released this product as is. As others have said, until there is a patch, STAY AWAY!
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2015
Just FYI, I love fallout 3 and the entire fallout franchise. This rating is specifically for the Fallout Game of The Year edition for playstation 3. This game is very buggy and I wish I had done some more research before buying it. The game freezes at random times. This is a known issue and it looks like there isn't a permanent fix for this. From what I've read, as you get to the DLC portions of the game "the pitt, broken steel etc" the game will lock up and freeze randomly. Sometimes it will continue after a few mins but other times it won't and so you have to restart the system. Temp fixes are to delete the game files, disable auto save and reboot ever so often after some hours of play. This is not a guarantee fix, however, and so I have not been able to play the game without having to reboot every day or every time I want to play. You may be better off buying the fallout 3 game alone and then purchasing the individual add ons instead of the whole GOTY edition. This review is current as of May 2015.
on June 10, 2015
The add ons are good, though I only got to play 2 of them before my files got too big for the game to function. That's always been the problem with Fallout and Skyrim, they're so fun you can just play them for dozens of hours until your file get too big to play anymore. Oblivion doesn't really have that problem but I wish this game and other Bethesda games were more functional.
on June 25, 2015
The game itself is great, but it is VERY buggy. After doing one or two of the DLCs the game would start crashing frequently. Sometimes every few minutes. By the time I got to Broken Steel, it was unplayable. I had to delete extra saves and even then I only barely managed to finish it.

If you've played NV first you'll probably notice how most of the story and character development and moral choice making isn't quite as developed here. Considering how expansive the world is it's not really that noticeable overall, especially if you're new to Fallout. There might be other little things that annoy you like how once you reach a high level insanely tough enemies can start spawning anywhere, even outside the first town. For the first fully 3D open world Fallout though, it's amazing. If you've never played Fallout before, start with this one and then do New Vegas.
on December 14, 2014
Bought the PS3 version as a gift to a friend, while I personally have the PC copy of this version of Fallout 3. By adding all the DLC on to the disk, you can start most of them as soon as you leave the vault. Bethesda made a great game, and when my friend plays it, I'll update on how it compares to their other series (Elder Scrolls).
on October 6, 2015
This is the second time I've purchased this gam.... Experience. It's that good.
I have a hard time deciding if FO3, Skyrim or heavily modded Morrowind is my favorite of all time. But I think it's this one.
I don't review things often but felt compelled to chime in here.
This is a game that you can run through or that you can savor for hundreds of hours. Endless things to do and explore. I'm not.particularly goal oriented. Not a twitch thumb get it done kind of guy.
One of my favorite things to do as the lone wanderer is to just glass around the area from a perch on a ruined bridge. The sun setting. The stillness with just the sighing of the wind for company. Very often you'll see interesting things in the distance. Small battles between people robots and creatures.
This world feels so alive and active. It isn't all focused on you.
And sometimes some really jaw dropping things can occur. I don't know how Beth did it, but some of the random things that happen are just amazing.
My real reason for posting here is to inform PS3 users that there are a few things that can be done to improve the glitches. A bit much to get into here but a search of the Beth forums will lead the way. There ARE fixes for the common problems.
BOW WOW
on September 24, 2013
I'll be writing a detailed review of Fallout 3, I'll divide the major areas up and explain them the best I can. I'll keep as many spoilers out of my review. Let's get started...

Overview
This is a Role Playing Game (RPG) and a free roaming game. Meaning you play as a character and you're free to explore the whole area around you, you're not constricted to one path you can go anywhere you want and do whatever you want. To get an even better idea how this game looks and functions, I highly suggest you look at some YouTube videos of it.

Story
Fallout 3 is set in the post-apocalyptic city of Washington D.C. in the year 2277; it takes place 200 years after the apocalypse, when in 2077 a nuclear war had taken place between China and the U.S.A. The timeline is the same as in our world until World War II, then it splits, the Cold War never ended and instead of it being with Russia it's with China. Like all wars it's for resources, oil prices are sky high, hitting $7000 per barrel! During the conventional war between the two nations, US scientists come up with fusion technology which can replace gas and oil, it can power cars, buses, and even weapons like the Laser Rifle (which I'll be talking about later) Nonetheless nuclear war hits in 2077! You though are safe from nuclear devastations; you were born in a "vault," before the war the government made large underground shelters. In the beginning of the game you start in the vault, living with your dad and the rest of the vault community, just living life, growing up, blah blah blah... But then one day your dad leaves the vault without any warning, it's then up to you to enter the harsh "Capital Wasteland" as it's nicknamed and embark on a quest to find your father. Along the way you can do quests, visit towns, a lot of freedom!

In the Fallout universe "technology progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural norms of the 1950s" - From the games manual. This gives the game a futuristic feel and look. Like in the 1950s and 60s people thought in the next couple of years or even by 1999 there would be servant robots, nuclear power cars, etc. That's pretty much what Fallout has.

So much to talk about where do I start!?

Character Creation
You can create a male and female character. You can choose very detailed and custom faces, the only thing you build is the face, no muscles or anything. You can craft the jawline, nose, eye spacing, how big your forehead is, etc. Race can be chosen from between Caucasian, Asian, African American, and Hispanic. You can tone skin color as well. There's also a "random" button which makes a mixed up character for you, I once got purple skin -___-

1st Person and 3rd Person View
You have the ability to switch between 1st person view to 3rd person view with one click of the L2 button on the PS3 controller. And if you hold it you can zoom 3rd person view in and out as much as you like.

Levels
There are 20 levels in the game. 10 more are add with the Broken Steel Downloadable Content (DLC). But don't worry the Fallout 3 version Amazon is selling is the Game of the Year edition which includes all DLCs.

Graphics
Graphics aren't this game's strong point; the map and story of the game are very well built but it lacks in the graphics department. Look up a few screenshots and you'll get the idea. Textures are flat, they give off a 3D look, like of a small rock, but if you look carefully it's just a flat sheet. They're not extremely bad my they're not great, I would give them a 6.5 out of 10, 10 being Battlefield game graphics. The environment is not destructible, a few barrels can be moved but that's it. Graphics are not realistic.

The Map
Like I said it's an open world game. The map is huge. The area you start out from is in the suburbs, as you follow the storyline you go into D.C. You can even go to the top of the Washington Monument! The city has many roads blocked off by fallen debris, buildings are dirty and damaged. You can get really deep inside the city; be warned though the whole city is crawling with Super Mutants! The map is big, but then there's the underground Metro system. This basically doubles the map! Dark, spooky tunnels, filled with Raiders and Ghouls... As you go outside and into the city's rural expanse, you'll find scattered towns, secret hideouts, Super Mutant camps and much more. Many of the long over-pass bridges have collapsed. All the trees have been brunt by the nuclear fire. The interior of buildings are dark and damaged too, you can see small particles floating around, you can see stale air flowing.

Time and Weather
Time in the game moves much fast than normal, every minute is only a few seconds and every hour is only a few minutes. You have the option to "wait," when you press the "Select" button on the controller you open up a small menu which lets you wait for as many hours you want. At the menu it lets you know what day, month, year, and time it is. As the time moves along you have dawn, mid-day, night, etc. There is no rain or snow. You will have cloudy days but no rain.

Perks, Skills, and Leveling Up
You can level up in the game by earning XP (Experience Points), you can complete quests, hack computers, lock pick locks, kill enemies, actually kill anything, and other things to earn XP. Every time you level up you have the choice of adding skill points to your Skills and picking one Perk. Skills are Barter, Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Lockpick, Medicine, Melee Weapons, Repair, Science, Small Guns, Sneak, Speech, and Unarmed. Each of these Skills have a number next to them denoting how good you are, or how advanced you are in that Skill, it ranges from 0 to 100 which is the maximum. For example If I have a high Big Guns Skill my handling, and combat effectiveness with all oversized weapons like the Gatling Laser and Fat Man will be better. Same goes with the rest. If I have a high enough Unarmed Skill I might even be able to, when in dialogue with another person, convince them to teach me a unique move! Perks are special "powers" that you can choose. Like Gun Nut, the description reads: "You're obsessed with using and maintaining a wide variety of conventional firearms. With each rank of the Gun Nut perk, you gain an additional 5 points to the Small Guns and Repair skills." Each Perk has a requirement for Gun Nut I need Rank: 3, Agility 4 and Intelligence 4 (these are S.P.E.C.I.A.L. explained ahead)

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck. These to can be customized, each range from 1 to 10. Skills which I just explained are embedded in the SPECIALs. For example, "Intelligence affects the Science, Repair, and Medicine skills..." "Strength is a measure of your raw physical power. It effects how much you can carry, and determines the effectiveness of all melee attacks." When you're building your character that's when you have the option to customize your SPECIALs. In-game you can only edit your SPECIALs with the Intense Training Perk which lets you add one point to only one of your SPECIALs. It can be selected multiply times but you'll have to level up and choose that Perk. If you have a high Intelligence you'll have more skill points to distribute when you level up. You can decide am I going to be a smart, intelligent person, or a heavy brawler who likes it up close, or someone in between?

Karma and Reputation
The actions you take in the game will result in you earning Karma and Reputation. Let's say you kill an innocent towns-person, you will earn bad karma. You will also earn bad karma if you help a bad person do bad things. If you accumulate bad karma your reputation will be that you're a killer and people should be scared of you! Having this type of rep will get you into nasty places like the main base of the Slavers! But it'll hurt you when you try to recruit a companion who requires their leader to have good karma. After helping out a town the townspeople might give you supplies from time to time. There are Perks related to karma, if you are evil you will be able to get Perks that would only be available to evil characters. Same goes for being good. Being good or bad has a role in the game so be careful next time you go shooting up towns!

Dialogue
Throughout the game you can talk with people. When you start talking to them you have a list of dialogue options from which you can choose from and say what you want. If you feel someone is talking nonsense you can tell'em to shut up! Each saying will have an effect, if you start threatening people they might run away scared or start attacking you. Having a high Speech will help you in this area, you can convince people to pay you a higher amount of money for a job, or make them tell you something they otherwise won't want to tell. Sometimes having, lets say, the Perk Gun Nut, you can impress another people with your knowledge of weaponry. By having a high Strength you can intimidate a person through dialogue to give you something. From time to time you'll be able to use your Skills and SPECIALs in unique dialogue options.

Companions
You can recruit companions. You need to pay for them in some cases, but most of the time you need to have a certain reputation for them to join you. For example there is one companion you can recruit named Jericho who is a ex-raider, he ain't no goody two-shoes. To be able to recruit him you need to have a bad karma/reputation level. They can carry items for you, any type, armor, guns, food, you name it. they are more resistant to damage then normal people in the Wasteland but they can be killed.

Factions, People, and Creatures in the Capital Wasteland
There are several factions in the Wasteland; the two main ones are the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave. The Brotherhood of Steel was part of the American military before the war. The Brotherhood in D.C. is the East Coast Brotherhood who are a detachment of the original Brotherhood back in California. They are trying to eradicate the threat of Super Mutants from the Wasteland. They're the good guys. The Enclave is the remnants of the American government. They are hostile with pretty much everyone in the Wasteland, they talk about "restoring the nation to its former glory" but they want to kill everything in the Wasteland because they want to rule over an America of the "pure," free from any mutation; as everything in the Wasteland is contaminated with mutation and radiation. Other then these two there are the Super Mutants, who were people that have been mutated by the Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV) making them into these, large, grotesque monsters. Then there's the Raiders, humans who have made groups that go around killing everything there is to kill, there's no negotiating with them, shoot on sight! Ghouls, are pretty much zombies. There are two types sane and insane. The sane ones are like humans but their skin is rotten, they have heavy, sand-paper voices, and they can live for hundreds of years. Many of them are harmless. The insane ones have had their brains completely rotted. They'll attack anything one sight, they are quite ferocious. Like they say, "gotta shoot'em in the head!" There are slavers as to. They...well...enslave people. Slavers aren't hostile towards you. There are Talon Company mercenaries. They are hostile towards you. Robots are big in this game. You have Robobrains which are robots on treads which use an organic brain as their CPU. Mister Handy robots that have multiple arms, they were used before the war for housekeeping and maintenance; they still can be a threat. You can meet people in towns, you can go to the doctor, go to a bar, buy clothes and ammo, etc.

There are mutant bugs as well. Giant Ants, Bloat Flies, Yao Guai which are mutated black bears! Others include Giant Mole Rats, wild dogs, even mutant cows which are called Brahmin; they have 2 heads and 2 udders!

Radiation
The wasteland is filled with radiation. Drinking irradiated water or going into irradiated areas will increase your Radiation (RAD) counter. As you accumulate more radiation they're these benchmarks set, once you reach one you'll have radiation sickness effects. When this happens points will taken away from your SPECIALs. Once you hit 1000 RADs you die! So be careful and take Rad-Away!

Pip-Boy 3000
The Pip-Boy 3000 is an arm mounted machine with a screen on which you can select weapons, look at notes, look at the world map, change clothes, change radio stations, consume food, look at stats, etc. You can say it's your "main menu" in-game.

Items
Things like tin cans, coffee mugs, soda bottles, can be picked up and dropped whenever from your inventory. Weapons, food, clothes, ammo can be picked and dropped.

Money
The money used in the Wasteland are bottle caps. You can get them by selling things; you can find them on people, containers, etc.

Weapons
The paragraph you've all been waiting for! Weapons are divided into Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Explosives, Melee Weapons, Small Guns, and Unarmed. Big Guns are oversized weapons; they include the Minigun and Missile Launcher. These weapons are usually carried with both hands below the waist, or over the shoulder. The Minigun uses 5mm round while the Missile Launcher uses...well...missiles. Energy Weapons are, aka, laser guns. They include Laser Rifles, Plasma Rifles, Plasma Pistols, etc. These weapons use Microfusion Cells, or Energy Cells as ammo. Early in the game they are hard to find but as you level up and do more quests they'll spawn on enemies and you may even find them. Explosives are grenades and mines. There are normal explosive grenades and mines, but there are also plasma grenades and plasma mines which are great against all targets, and then there are pulse grenades and mines which are extremely effective against robots but do little damage to flesh and blood targets. They emit an Electromagnetic Pulse when detonated. Melee Weapons range from the humble lead pipe to the mighty Super-Sledge! Having a high Strength will benefit you if you're going to build a melee centered character. Things like Switchblades and Combat Knifes, anything you hold comes under Melee Weapons, things like Spiked Knuckles and Power Fists, anything you wear, comes under Unarmed. Small Guns include the Assault Rifle which is based of the G3 and the Chinese Assault Rifle which is based of the AK-47. There are more guns too, like the 10mm Submachine Gun, 10mm Pistol, and Hunting Rifle. There are many more guns it'll take too long to write them all down. Weapons have Damage (DAM), Weight (WG), Condition (CND), and Value (VAL). Damage is affected by the weapons condition, Condition will go down as more and more shots are fired, and if an enemy hits your weapon it can break. In the game weight is not calculated in pounds or kilograms it's just "Weight." Value is determined by the weapons condition. Like I said before things like Spiked Knuckles and Power Fists, anything you wear, comes under Unarmed. There are also unique weapons which you build from Blueprints, you use materials found from the Wasteland to build them. Like the Rock-It Launcher you can use ANYTHING as ammo! Coffee mugs, tin cans, pool balls, soda bottles, belts, lunchboxes, books, teddy bears, can all be shot! There's also a flaming sword called the Shishkebab! It's a melee weapon, its blade is on fire and when an enemy is hit they're set on fire! They're a few more epic gadgets as well.

Clothing and Appeal
You can choose from a wide range of clothing. You can wear Raider armor, Wasteland settlers gear, headgear, even power armor, a massive self-contained suit of mechanized combat armor that turns a single soldier into a walking tank! Almost every clothing item has an effect, if I wear the Vault Lab Uniform I will have 5 points added to my Science skill as long as I keep wearing that. If I wear the Merc Grunt Outfit my Melee weapons skill will be raised by 2 and my Small Guns skill will as be raised by 2. Wearing the Brotherhood Power Armor, my Strength will be boosted up by 2, my Agility will be lowered by 2 and I'll have 10 more Radiation Resistance. Clothing also has Damage Resistance (DR), Weight (WG), Condition (CND), and Value (VAL). Damage Resistance goes down as you get shot up. Condition will go down just like DR. Value is determined by the condition and DR of the clothing as well has what type of clothing it is, if it's a Dirty Chinese Jumpsuit in full condition it doesn't mean its valve will necessarily more then a suit of Power Armor which is at half condition. A suit of clothing can be repaired with another identical suit, or by a near relative of that clothing.

Food and Drinks
You can consume food and drinks in the game which will increase your health but they also have "effects." Taking Buffout, which is a medicine (in the game it is a Chemical (Chem) slang for drug), will increase your health by 60 Health Points (HP), raise your Endurance by 3, and raise your Strength by 2. Taking too much of it will result in you being addicted to it and after it's effects have worn off you'll experience withdrawal symptoms, you'll loss 1 point from Endurance and 1 point from Strength and it won't go away until you go to a doctor and have yourself cured, so don't overload! There is alcohol as well, beer, vodka, wine, etc, which you can get addicted to as well. Food includes, Squirrel on a Stick, Noodles, Brahmin Streak, Potato Crisps, Salisbury Streak, and more! Yum, yum!

V.A.T.S (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System)
V.A.T.S is a targeting system. When activate in front of anything that can be killed, it literally freezes time and lets you choose which body part you want to target, it lets you see what condition each limb is in, thus you can target their weak area, when you've accepted the attack, the screen goes into a cinematic mode which shows you shooting or mauling your target. Every time you choose to select a body part it takes Action Points (AP), you are limited to only a number of strikes which can be only done if you have enough AP. AP regenerates over a short period of time, it's regenerated right after you come out of VATS. There are Perks which increase overall AP.

Radio
Through your Pip-Boy you can change radio stations which are broadcasting through the Wasteland. Some are distress signals coming from nearby radio-towers; you can investigate if the people who are in need of help are still alive... There are 2 main stations which broadcast through the wastes at all times. One of them plays old 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s songs. They play songs like Anything Goes by Cole Porter and Dear Hearts and Gentle People by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats! Like I said before the developers have created a world where "technology progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural norms of the 1950s" - from the games manual. This gives the game a futuristic feel and look. The songs improve that "feel" drastically!

Viewer Discretion
You can blow off limbs and heads, just giving you a heads up...no pun intended. It can get a little gross from time to time. The graphics aren't realistic so that's a plus!

Save System
You can save the game manually anytime you want. If you want to save right before you start a quest you can do that. There's also an auto-save which saves every time you enter or exist a building, you can it turn on and off.

Glitches and Freezes
Fallout 3 is notorious for its freezes. The game freezes at many points. Characters are glitching like demons in the air sometimes. Because of the patches these things have decreased but they do happen. So be sure to download the patch when you start the game. For me nothing too big happens and I'm happy with the game; just remember to save from time to time.

No Online or Multiplayer
There is no multiplayer or co-op in this game.

Overall this is a very good game! The world they've created is huge and immersive. I've had this game for over 3 years and I still play it from time to time and I still find new things in the game! I once found a Mini Nukes in an isolated power station in the Wasteland; the Mini Nuke was hidden above a hanging lighting fixture! The storyline is amazing, great features, one of them that you can choose what you want to say, just beautiful! I highly recommend this game and for only $20 it's a steal.
on November 27, 2015
I love Fallout and this game is no exception. It has an amazing storyline and impressive gameplay that is action packed and filled with emotion that is definitely worth the experience. I know Fallout 4 is out now, but I didn't have any systems to play it. Fallout 3 is still an amazing game even though it's now 6 years old and it will remain amazing for years to come along with all the Fallout games before and after it. 5/5