Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Fallout 3 - Playstation 3
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 5, 2012
First of all; The few problems I imply this game has AREN'T the bugs.
As of 2012 it appears all major bugs have been patched; although the game may still freeze on occasion.

Now I'll review this in pro/con format.

Pros/The Good:
- The map is huge.
- Gives a new meaning to FREE(roam) gameplay as you can do whatever you want. Kill just about whoever you want (except kids) at your own discretion.
- Lots of side-quest to give you additional hours of play
- Many options.

Cons/Problems:
- Shooting/Aiming will be a vast problem for most. This problem is bettered in the Fallout sequel New Vegas, but as for F3, it is its biggest drawback.
- Shooting/Damage is also a problem. You will get virtually no reaction from a "crippled" enemy. If you manage to "cripple" an enemies body part you're rewarded with a grand 1 second animation of them being helpless. However, once recovered from the lack-luster "crippled state" they will resume movement at full speed and attack.
- Companions are incompetent. If you tell them to be passive they still attack enemies first. If you tell them to stay they sometimes sneak off and attack nearby enemies.
- Enemy evasion is difficult. Particularly dodging bullets from even the most short range firearm at the farthest distance.
- An extension on the last con. Player mobility just looks/seems rough.

My ending opinion of this game;
- The shooting mechanics are TERRIBLE.
- Fallout New Vegas is a much better option. Overall gameplay-actions are smoother.
on May 10, 2010
There's a lot about this game that I just can't stand. Cheesy, silly, downright ridiculous aspects of the game and quests to accompany a main storyline that shouldn't have left the writer's head, never mind the printing press...but, with it, comes solid game-play, a handful of very interesting scenarios and characters, and a beautifully daunting atmosphere. There's a lot you can do with this game; you can run around adventuring first, or you can stick to the main quest; know that if you do the latter, you don't get the opportunity to adventure later (because the game ends when the main quest does).
The gameplay itself is good; I play this on the PS3, and I like shooters where it's not torture to play (as some shooters are on consoles). Not only that, but the control system - while not necessarily simple - is easy enough to understand, and there are plenty of useful tools for the player to use.
I personally "liked" exploring the ruined capitol, in that it was effectively bleak and depressing. Also, it was nice to find out that the further away you wandered, the more challenging things got, and the more types of baddies and monsters you met. The quests varied between totally annoying and stupid to interesting and fun; the towns were interesting enough, and there were enough scattered buildings and mini-tasks to keep you busy and generally entertained.
As I said before, the main quest was really silly...which isn't to say that it wasn't very interesting at times - it was, as long as you didn't know and were trying to figure out what was going on. Once you found out, though, it was rather disappointing, to say the least.
All in all, this game is probably worth at least renting; it's a decent action game, complete with mean mutants and your choice of gameplay styles (run and gun, stealth, face on confrontation, melee, or what have you). Whether you want to own, and how much time you plan to devote to it, you'll have to decide as you go. Just don't expect anything decent in the way or storyline - and know that you will be annoyed at times. If you keep that in mind, you will probably have a lot of fun.
on July 8, 2012
I originally purchased this game when it first came out. Recently I picked it up and started play through number 6. There are not many games that still hold my interest after as many years. Even after all this time, Fallout 3 remains a game that still has the ability to suck me into its universe and genuinely make me care about the game world. Yes I know its not the "classic" Fallout we grew up with, and yes it may just be a post apocalyptic "Oblivion", but really, is that a such bad thing? Games are about fun, and this one delivers.I loved the originals as a kid, but for different reasons. It's still Fallout. It's still the post apocalalyptic world you love, and its still an epic adventure, with truely memorable locations, characters and events. 5 play throughs and sill looking forward to number 6, four years later.
on February 26, 2015
Despite being buggy and at times locking up A LOT, this has to be one of my favorite video games EVER. I have owned several copies. This one for the PS3 and 2 editions on XBOX 360. I have spent countless hours on multiple play-throughs and have explored almost every inch of the Capital Wasteland. Anyone looking for a game to explore and really immerse yourself into the story should get this game. Even now, almost 7 years later, I will still load this game up and play. I love it!
on December 27, 2010
To be honest, I didn't think I'd enjoy this game as much as I actually did. Open-ended RPGs like this one and Oblivion have typically driven me up the wall. However this game grew on me until I was spending hours having an amazing time and trying to put off reaching the end! It started slow and was a bit of a struggle at the beginning since my character wasn't strong enough to fight off a slew of different enemies. However, a few side quests later and perks later, my character was ready for some rock and roll! The main quest is a bit weak in my opinion but the side quests more than make up for it. The harsh beauty of the landscape and the destruction wrought by nuclear war didn't register at first, but as I kept exploring and walking around the capital wasteland, it started feeling real. The attention to detail that I felt when wandering through the metro stations, the mall, etc sent a chill down my spine at times. The game made me stop and actually think about it would be like if nuclear war ever took place. I also liked the 50's theme running through the game, in terms of music, graphics etc. All in all, a very satisfying experience! I rate it 4 starts instead of 5, because I faced some of the freezing/locking issues that others have reported as well.
on December 27, 2010
There is a tons of things this game does right, the world is huge plenty of places to explore, enemies to fight, alot of weapons, weapons that you can make by salvaging parts and items in the wasteland. Atmosphere is what this game nails down perfectly, you actually feel like a wanderer exploring and surviving a harsh hostile enviroment where radioactive feaks of nature are raoming far off in the distance. The only problem I have is that the game should of been properly optimized for the ps3 it feels glitchy and I'm always uncertain if the game is going to feeze on me.
Like games with huge open worlds?,a good story?Plenty of combat that involves firearms? This is the game for you.
on April 1, 2014
Now any RPG I cannot hold ground against this game (except maybe Elder Scrolls/Skyrim, but these are fruit from the same tree). Open world is vast, exploitable, and aesthetically pleasing. Gameplay is advanced yet intuitive and provides hundreds (maybe thousands) of playable hours. If you do the math, that is a good value price/time.
on March 16, 2010
First a bit of history. I have been a Fallout fan since the first games came out oh so long ago. I made my name as the Vault Dweller searching for that most elusive Water Chip in Fallout 1 and then kept the legend alive as the 'Chosen one' in 2. As a fan I cringed when the first iteration of Fallout 3 (now known by its codename 'Vanburen') was cancelled. I feared for one of my most beloved game series...and then I heard that Bethesda had scored the rights. I was overjoyed, ecstatic, and (to be honest) a bit worried. Sure, the company had done well with Oblivion but could it be trusted to match the context and feel of such a rich and diverse (all be it simply rendered in its isometric predecessors) setting as the post-apocalyptic wastes of Fallout?
Well, after playing through this game, I must say 'Yes!', it did.
The game looks and feels like what it should: A 3d adaptation of a 2d game. It's system is easy to grasp (both controls and character advancement) and the world is so vast it will have you wondering around for days with things to do.

My favorite part: The intro. Never before have I seen such a unique character set up in a game. This game literally starts at the VERY beginning (trust me, I'm not going to ruin it for you...you'll see what I mean) and progresses logically with stat selection and skill spreads.

My least favorite part: The ending (Figures). While I'm not going to say too much, the ending of the game leaves a lot to be desired and some logic holes (not going to spoil it, but 'Hey, guy who isn't hurt by radiation, you wanna...IDK, get in there?), but if you have the 10 extra bucks to spend, go ahead and grab the "Broken Steel" expansion (If you do this, stay away from the scrapyard until after you beat the main storyline of the game as one of the coolest NPCs will be super boosted.

Something cool that could be better: the V.A.T.S. targeting is pretty cool, but its got some holes in it that makes it annoying at times and it really doesn't replace the FPS system as a way to play through combat like I was led to believe. Its a great addition and help to the combat, but its really there for sniping shots and taking your time with a target, but Action points (even with a high agility and the action boy perk)seem to run out with a quickness. I have an issue with this not being more developed into the system maybe as an alternative to the fps combat ONLY because this was such a major part of the first game.

Well thats all I have for now. If you play this game, you will enjoy it.
on October 12, 2010
I played (and reviewed) Fallout 3 about two years too late. In fact I remember along with its release came numerous other titles that also turned out to be pretty incredible, so I passed at first. I picked up Fallout 3 about a month prior to release of Fallout: New Vegas, to see what the hype was about. At first I had mixed reactions, but quickly realized I had totally dropped the ball in missing this game for so long.

Gameplay: 9.5 / 10

The controls were a little clunky at first. I felt right at home with the first person shooter feel of the game, but quickly realized this was no more an FPS than it was a turkey sandwich. Especially in the beginning of the game, it felt oppressively difficult to simply run-and-gun. But the game has a system to assist, which never seemed to get old called VATS. The VATS system allows you to select various limbs, parts etc. of the target. It sort of pauses the game for you to select how you plan to attack which body parts. Once you give it the OK, the action unfolds in slow motion. VATS provides a chance-to-hit percentage for the various limbs which considers things like the target's current cover, your cover, your ability with that weapon, and on and on. VATS gave this game a very interesting twist on combat.

The game is heavily based on the character you choose to build and the decisions you make in the world. Some game advertise "choices matter" but sort of restrict you when it really comes down to it. Not so with Fallout 3. I was absolutely dumbfounded with the degree of freedom and choice offered to a player in the game. You decisions matter...a lot. From the very beginning you select skills what you want your character to be good at, your character's attributes etc. However beyond those numbers that are the dialog choices that you're extended. Most conversations you're given a set of responses that range from angel to evil allowing you to choose. The non-player characters (NPC's) will change how they respond, but even more importantly, your reputation carries throughout the game world. So if you treat someone really horribly, or pickpocket a guy or just shoot a shop keeper and take his keys to his safe, great. Be prepared to deal with what may result from it later. Certain quests only open up if you do X, others will close down if you say Y. You can change much of the game simply through the way that you interact with people.

A major source of variation in the gameplay depends on the Perks you choose. Perks are awarded every time you level up. You can choose simple perks that give you more skill points to put toward things like small guns, lockpicking, repair, etc. You can choose perks that let you be add a point into your character attributes, like strength, intelligence or charisma. You can also choose more action-based perks like my favorite "Bloody Mess" which gives a chance each time you kill something for that something to literally explode into...a bloody mess. A set of new perks become available every two levels and I believe every set consists of around 4-8 perks to choose from. The catch, however, is that the perks that you can choose from each set greatly depend on how you've built your character up to that point. Perks become available/locked out based on your skill levels. For instance, a sneak perk requires you to put points into, well, sneak. If you don't meet the prerequisite you can choose the perk. The endless combinations of skill points, character attributes and perks allows for character crafting, or even the fine-tuning of a character. Frankly the possibilities are near endless.

Fallout 3's gameplay is so extensive, it's a rather daunting task to think of ALL the things you can do in Fallout 3. It so vast, so open , so HUGE, it's nearly impossible to sum it all up in a review. So I'll sum it up by saying it's impossible to do EVERYTHING in one playthrough. Even some of the trophies require you to play through as an neutral/good/evil character. I've been through only once, but plan to hold onto my copy for some time. I logged around 60 hours or so and only completed about 2/3 of the total missions before completing the main quest. PLENTY to do here.

Graphics: 8.5 / 10

The graphics while very good in textures, had some issues at times. This may be due to it being on a console, or perhaps on the PS3 specifically or just the game engine itself. The main issue I noticed was tearing. I believe it has to do with how some of the models were created and animated but it is definitely noticeable. Similar to tearing, the lip syncing animations were so-so at times. Another criticism of mine is inherent lack of color variety in everything. While this was no doubt intentional to give the feel of post-apocalyptic Washington DC, it gets a bit bland and boring from time to time. Only a handful of places (that I can think of) in the entire world map has more than the standard shades of gray, brown, tan & yellow. Again, I get that it's been destroyed by a nuclear holocaust, but still.

The towns and outposts were all very unique in design, and you get the idea that this world was not created with cookie-cutter blocks that were cut and pasted in tiles. The environment has so many different locations there is an entire perk dedicated to showing you how many there are (while embarrassing you with how little you've actually uncovered). The detail in some of the character models were excellent, the Super Mutants are downright hideous and the dingy look of some of the weapons is truly authentic. Gripes aside, the graphics do help to create the feeling of immersion that I am constantly seeking in a game.

Sound: 8.5 / 10

Fallout 3's sound gave me mixed feelings. I loved that all the dialogs were voiced by the person with whom you were speaking, however I would have loved to have my character have voice too. Perhaps a design decision on the part of the developers to leave the character generic or maybe another reason. Regardless, the conversations felt more like playing a text file than a conversation. I enjoyed playing old school RPG's before storage media had enough capacity to hold voice, but our technology is way past that now, and it seems a bit odd to voice half of every conversation.

For the most part those characters that were voiced had great dialog and were humorous at times. The spoken parts of the main quest were beautifully voice acted, enough to make me care about what was going on. The individual weapons had unique sounds that seemed to fit their particular type, caliber, and power. Surround sounds help a ton when walking around in the wasteland, as you'll hear voices shouting, enemies (Yao Guai) barreling up on you from out of sight, etc. the sound does a great job of conveying caution when entering a dark new area, or lightening up the mood when entering a non-hostile area. Over all the sound enhances the immersion into the game.

Immersion: 10 / 10

Immersion (I imagine) is a difficult thing to craft into a game. Probably because you're having to account for so many different play styles and so many different preferences. With that, there aren't many games out there that I can honestly say got me more immersed in the game world than Fallout 3. The fact that you can practically interact with anything, you can create your own weapons out of various scraps found in the wasteland, you can loot just about everything, you can choose your own moral code, you can talk to nearly everyone, there are cities ripe with people that react to your reputation and on and on and on. The various things you may find in this game are a major incentive to exploring the game world. There were numerous times where I was dead set on progressing the storyline of the game another step, when I come across a door and my curiosity says "oh, just have a peek". The door opens up to some mysterious cavern, or bunker or train station or building or whatever. And my journey to progressing the storyline would simply get put off for another 5 hours while I explored "that direction".

I realized I was immersed when I was in a bunker and this bartender gave me some flak, so I shot him...and then felt immediately bad about it. What I realized is he held one of the unique weapons in the game, one that I wouldn't have found had I been "nice". This game is the completionist's best friend and worst nightmare at the same time. The amount of things you can do, coupled with the character building, the options of choice, and the sound, Fallout 3 drew me in for far longer than I expected.

Overall: 9 / 10

This game sold gazillions of copies and was game of the year in many publications for good reason. It's the most extensive game world I've ever experienced, so much that this review is simply not enough to explain how much you'd be missing if you didn't give Fallout 3 a fair shot. It even has its own GOTY version (which I ignored due to price and apparent PS3 bugs) that adds the 4 different DLC expansions straight on the disc. Needless to say this is a game that every RPG fan should play. It is not to be missed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 10, 2009
I'm now playing this game for the second time after accidentally finishing the game on my first attempt. If I had known I was about to enter the final sequence I would have saved my game but it's fine I've enjoyed creating a new character and playing a different way.

The game is pretty open ended which I like. The second time through I'm not so much paying very much attention to the main mission but exploring a lot more and doing all the optional side quests.

The graphics are sharp and pretty impressive. The map is vast and there's a lot to explore. Some of the scenes get a little redundant and you'll see similar building textures everywhere, but that's pretty tolerable. The plot is pretty good, and some of the dialog makes me laugh a little bit. For example one time I met some character and he was giving me a hard time so I said something like "You'll talk now or I'll splatter your brains all across this metro station" and he said "Nice to see someone finally has some balls around here!"

The game play is pretty good. The VATS targeting is sometimes a little too easy though, but it's a great way to get good close up scenes of your character in action firing off a shot that blows off some raider's head and such. Even more fun if you choose the "Bloody Mess" level up upgrade when you get to that point which makes the blood and guts even more graphic.

I've been playing the game for about a month and am still finding new things in it, even having finished the game once already. Also it's pretty apparent that how you build your character and what you do in dialog really affects the way the game story goes. It's a lot of fun and highly addicting.

The game is not without it's flaws. I have the PS3 version and it has crashed several times and often freezes for long periods when crossing certain parts of the map. At times the vocal dialog is out of synch, and I've gotten stuck in a few places and been unable to move and had to reload the game.

Nonetheless I'm giving it five stars because it's the most fun I've had and the most time I've spent on a single game since GTA IV.

Very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.