Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 192 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 528 reviews
on April 6, 2017
fast shipping and great price!
on March 18, 2017
Worked great
on September 22, 2014
Best game ever. No s***.
on January 16, 2010
I'll admit, that previously I've been drawn to games with a fairly linear gameplay style. Not linear in the way that there's only one single path and it can only be traversed one way, but linear in the way that the game can baby you and keep you on the right track, even if you're given a decent scope to explore.

Well it turns out that I was just looking for the right massive, open game. Because here you're free to be your own man. Sure, you can tackle the main quest and it's decent. But the real treat is the exploration. There's a positively huge world to explore, and even more underground.

Lets say you have some kind of vendetta against the raiders. They roam the Wastes, pillaging like metal-head versions of pirates, and you don't like them. Maybe out of strong sense of justice, or maybe one of them just looked at you funny. Well feel free to wander around, picking them off from on-high with a rifle, sneaking in to set up mines before tossing in a grenade to stir up some carnage, or put on your power armor and run in, guns blazing.

There's a big town, the first one you're likely to come across, with an undetonated atomic bomb sitting in the middle. You can take it on as a mission from the town sheriff to disarm it, or have the mysterious Mister Burke rope you in to rigging it up to blow. And you're fully capable of doing so, climbing to the top of Tenpenny Tower, and watching the mushroom cloud in the distance as you vaporize the city, and all its residences. It's all up to you. Scurge of the wastes, savior, or anywhere in between. Get into the slave trade business, or shoot your way through the traders' encampment and free the slaves.

The only legitimate complaints I know of for the game are the controls with the VATS targeting system, but you don't even really have to use it. In fact it's often better and more fun not to. Sometimes the game doesn't even feel like an RPG. Sometimes it's an action game, sometimes it's a shooter, but it's always an adventure.

The graphics are... terrific. Sure everyhing's grainy and brown and dark and bleak. But somehow it manages to be pretty anyway. Everything might be ugly, but it's ugly in a really good looking way. I'm trying to think of a celebrity to use as an example, but feel that would be in bad tastes.

The facial animations can tend to be a little robotic, but the voice acting is top-notch and lively, from everyone. And in a game with so much dialog, that's very welcome.

Speaking of sound, I was surprised to end up really loving the soundtrack. And I don't mean the ominous background tracks made for atmosphere, but the 1940s hits played from the game's "Galaxy News Radio". I, being a youngster, never even heard any of this music. But after having it as a constant companion in my fares across the Wastes I grew to love it.

My first time through Fallout 3 I played for over 60 hours, and didn't even do everything (keep in mind I did add four of the add-on packs). And just a few days ago I started a new file.

Speaking of add-on packs, there are five. Broken Steel, Mothership Zeta, Point Lookout, The Pitt, and Operation: Anchorage. Personally, I found Operation Anchorage to be boring and linear. The Pitt was similar, but with a better story and an uglier world to explore. Point Lookout is a valuable addition. And Broken Steel continues the main story and raises the level cap. I haven't played Mothership Zeta, so I can't comment. But I only recommend Broken Steel and Point Lookout (which are offered together on a buyable disc if you don't have access to XBOX Live). The standalone Fallout 3 is the most powerful and by comparison the add-ons fall short in general.

But in all, I found Fallout 3 to be a fantastic game, in my top-ten list of all time. And in a game-playing career of somewhere around fourteen years, that's saying something. If you're on the fence about whether or not to buy, I'd say buy.
on May 16, 2013
This would have to be a super bargain at this point I'm sure and definitely is worth your $20 or so. If you didn't already know, it's a fairly funny, comically violent shooter/roleplayer set in an alternate universe where the DC area is obliterated by nuclear weapons.
It's fun scrounging weapons and supplies and setting out on expeditions where--at least for a good long while--you can't be entirely sure you'll come back alive.
Slightly disappointing as almost nothing, aside from the Nat'l Mall and a few structures, looks anything like DC and its suburbs. Lots and lots of brown and gray here, and not the least bit beautiful like Skyrim or Oblivion.
Still, for $15 or $20 it's a good time for dozens of hours and has a catchy soundtrack. Note: Not a good one for kids. Even Call of Duty is less violent.
VINE VOICEon March 10, 2011
I heard and read all the great reviews for this game so when I finally got an Xbox 360, it was one of the top games on my list to try. I'm sorry to say it was a huge disappointment. I just found it all to be too slow paced and so nit pickingly complicated that I didn't even want to try and finish playing it. I guess I just like games to be more straightforward and fast paced. I have played both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 which are RPGs and enjoyed them but Fallout just has so many variables that you have to constantly take into account with every single action that you take. It required too much time and effort. I play video games for fun and to relax and Fallout wasn't fun or relaxing.
on November 27, 2010
I'm 14 years old and I have played both Elder Scrolls games and Fallout games, both by Bethesda. Fallout 3, however, is my favorite by far. In my review of the game I will list the pros and the cons. Hopefully this review will be of use.

Fallout 3: RPG, open world, gory action, leveling system.

--Fallout 3 takes place in a post-apocalyptic Washington D.C--

Pros:

Graphics - The graphics in this game are among the best that I have ever seen in a game. Very realistic facial expressions in the characters, precise voicework and beautiful attention to detail are abundant in the game. No player should have any trouble with the graphics.

Open World - Some people prefer following certain missions and going into certain areas to complete objectives. Some players prefer to explore a vast world and engage in all the little side missions and discover the locations all over the game. Fallout 3 has one of the most vast landscapes to explore currently presented in games. Over a hundred different locations to discover, not to mention downloadable content that nearly double its size. I've played the game for about a year or so and I still haven't completed everything the game has to offer

Controls - Quick and responsive controls make for precise and satisfying gameplay for both fans of shooter-games and for those who want to try them. You can also alternate between 1st person perspective (through the eyes of your character) and 3rd person (over the shoulder camera), which is a very nice touch for those who don't prefer 1st person.

Tons of missions - As is the name of this pro, this game has SO MANY missions for the player to willfully rifle through. The player can start one mission, abandon it, and back to it months later and pick up where you left off. If I were to give the number of missions, I would say an approximate 50+ missions, including the main story. You can go from killing giant fire-spewing ants to huge mutated lizards with claws the size of a 5 year old child. Don't worry about tense story missions that ask your constant participation, you can go halfway through the story and decide you want to go off and save a town from insane looters.

Unique Control Feature - Bethesda had introduced the new feature, called VATS (I forget what it stands for, something like something-automatic targeting system). VATS allows you to press a button (for Xbox it's RB) to freeze time and zoom in on your enemy, and then target specific parts of their body. This comes in handy for disarming enemies by shooting them in the arm, or reducing their accuracy by shooting them in the head. The use of VATS requires Action Points, which regenerate automatically over time after using VATS.

Cons:

Maturity rating - This game has most certainly earned its M for mature rating. This is by far the bloodiest game I have ever played, and I've played several bloody games. Seriously, you can shoot someone in the head, and if your gun (or melee weapon) packs a serious punch, it can make their head explode, quite realistically. Many players would probably prefer this, and I'm sure there are many who would avoid this. Another maturity in the game is the abundant (but not monotonous) cursing. You'll find many enemies calling you ego-bruising things, such as a f-ing sh-farm (I've been carefull not to include any nasty words in the review). No notable amounts of sexuality in the game, just some minor suggestive themes, nothing major. This con may be considered a pro by some viewers, but I figured it might as well be named a con.

Glitches - Like any game, this game does indeed come with glitches. This is, as I've mentioned, a HUGE game, thus coming with some glitches. Nothing major, surprisingly, maybe an enemy getting stuck in the wall at some point, or silent character dialogue (when it should not be silent). The glitches in the game happen fairly rarely, nothing notable. Every game has them, and Bethesda did a very good job on making sure it's practically glitch-clean.

This next one can be considered either a pro or a con. The game has a leveling system, which means, for new-to players, killing a certain amount of enemies, completing missions in order to earn experience (XP) to level up, hence increasing the power and durability of your character. When you do level up you, of course, get stronger and earn more health. Fallout 3 also has a unique feature when it comes to leveling up: you get to choose a new feature (called perks) for your character. For example, when you level, you can choose to increase your damage with certain weapons, or increase your run speed, reduce your damage intake, etc. Of course, the better perks are saved for later levels. Another unique feature about leveling up is the spending of ability points. These points, which are very different from the VATS action points, are used to increase your damage with explosives, increase your skill with hacking computers, picking locks or melee damage, etc. Note that these points can not be saved throughout the levels, you must spend all of them in order to continue (no frustration here, there are ample amounts of usefull abilities to spend them on).

Well that ends my review of Bethesda's Fallout 3. I hope this review has been helpful to you. All in all, I give this game 4 and three quarter stars in rating (the Amazon rating system wouldn't let me give it the three quarters), and strongly suggest it as something to consider if you're looking for an open-world level up shooter game. Again, please note the maturity rating previously discussed in the review.
on February 20, 2016
Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas are HUGE open world games that both have excellent plots, addictive game play and are STILL some of the best titles going on consoles these days. The level of immersion in the Fallout world, the characters, atmosphere etc. is comparable to what GTA USED to be (without the driving of course). Naturally, this world is NOTHING like GTA but the game dynamics are what you would expect from one of the older GTA titles (in other words, the world is huge, the story is great, the game play feels endless and it's crazy addictive). This game will take weeks (maybe months) to complete, so be prepared. It's not an online multiplayer circlejerk like most games have become (thank God).

This is a game for adults who like to be part of a great adventure. You have to have some sort of attention span to enjoy it. Don't worry though, it's not like some of the ridiculous (and completely overdone) Sci-Fi, Fantasy stuff -- it has a very grounded, real world vibe to it that is unique to Fallout. I don't do "D&D", "Space Fantasy" or "Anime WTF ever" stuff at all. This has a touch of Sci-Fi but it didn't get lost in it. It made me feel right at home.

Completing a Fallout game is almost like completing a good novel. It leaves you remembering all of the places you've been and people you've met and it makes you think about all you've experienced.

If you're like me and you've become kind of disgusted and disenfranchised with the direction the "micropay", "freemium", "expansion pack" and mandatory multiplayer games have been going -- GET THIS. If you like SINGLE PLAYER, OPEN WORLD games and if you somehow missed out on Fallout -- these are must own titles.
on February 25, 2016
My son loves this game, although I would not recommend it for kids under 12 as it is rather violent and crass. Plenty of places to explore and hours of entertainment, mission design, storytelling, user interface and much more.
What can I say about my favorite video game ever! Did you know I liked this game more than Super Maro Bros. when it came out for the NES in 1984?

Man, oh man, when I played this I wondered why they even bothered to make other video games. I loved it! I like it even more than Fallout 4. Bethesda is failing in making their franchise available online for online gameplay like Happy Wars. When Bethesda figuires this out, Fallout 4 will have a good chance of beating the COD franchise and with any luck even Happy Wars and that's saying a lot.

Titus Flavius! If I have not paid for this game full retail price several times including one special edition, I have not paid ever for it. It's that good and I've used, broken, sold it, re-sold it so many times! I finally got the digital copy AND a disc copy just in case.

By the way I do have ALL DLCs for this game. They're all decent, except maybe for Mothership Theta, but since I like the game so much I still got it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.