Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 17, 2009
I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 as soon as it came out. I played for a while and realized that the game was so massive, that for me to discover all the nooks and crannies, I was going to need a little help. I seldom use strategy guides especially with the Internet available to me 24/7, however I do not regret a single bit buying this.

This book is huge by the way. The page count is accurate at 752. It was a lot bigger than I expected. I would consider this more like a Fallout 3 Encyclopedia, rather than a strategy guide. It had a bunch of photos, bios, a walkthru, where to find everything, it's extremely detailed, and is absolutly a must-have for someone with Fallout 3.

The cover is gorgeous, the pages are glossy, and indeed each book is labeled with a Limited Edition #. Not sure how many they made, but considering my book number, they made at least 35,000 of these.

Everything you need or want to know about Fallout is between these pages. If you take care of your items, I would definitly purchase this over the normal strategy guide. Even after Fallout 3 is long gone, I think this would look very nice on my bookshelf.

Amazon had a nice discount on this book when I bought it (About 25 total), but I would've easily paid cover price. If you wanna enjoy the Entire Fallout 3 experience, get this book.
1010 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2009
Writing guides for expansive games like Fallout 3 must be a daunting task. However, David Hodgson did a fantastic job of organizing this guide in a smooth and logical order.

I ordered this in conjunction with the Fallout 3: GOTY Edition and was very pleased. At over 750 pages, this guide covers every aspect of the game on all platforms (PS3, 360, and PC). As an owner of Hodgson's original Fallout 3 guide released in 2008, I was pleasantly surprised to see a vast number of improvements.

First and foremost: pictures! In the 2008 guide, it listed each enemy, weapon, and armor on pages upon pages of tables. It wasn't flashy, and it wasn't very exciting to look at. Now, though, there is a compendium that includes large, colorful photos of each enemy, weapon, and armor (including helmets and eyewear). Also included is an entire census of NPCs that you will find in the wasteland, each accompanied by a portrait, their location, their significance to the game, and other vitals. This really is a nice touch.

As for the guide itself, each quest is mapped out with the precise locations and steps needed to accomplish each task. The guide avoids spoiling future quests as well. In open-ended games, it's easy to get sidetracked or even completely lost when trying to achieve your goals. That won't happen with the help of this guide.

Just like the previous guide, there is a large foldout map included. It's about as big as a normal size state road map, which just goes to show how big this virtual world really is. Every location that you can unlock on your Pip-Boy map is shown and easily located with the help of a grid system. Never get lost in the Wasteland again!

Additionally, until I purchased the strategy guide for the original Fallout 3, I had no idea how many side quests there were. As it turns out there are about 17 of them (as well as many more in the DLC expansions and countless other freeform "mini" quests). Sometimes to initiate these quests, you must travel way off the beaten path. In fact, they will often be in the far stretches of the Wasteland where you may only stumble on them accidentally. Without this guide, I probably would have missed about half a dozen of them (maybe more). You don't want to miss these quests, either, since many of them offer unique rewards such as secret weapons/armor, hidden perks, followers, and a nice boost in XP as well.

All in all, this is a complete book and there are no glaring omissions. If anything, it has additional helpful content that was left out of the original volume. And since it covers the entire game, including all five DLC expansions, you really can't go wrong. The binding is strong, and overall, it looks and feels a little more polished than the previous guide.

I know some people like to play games without aid, but even then, this guide could come in handle with its immense inventory/bestiary/character database. The pages are crisp and glossy, the pictures are bright and colorful, and the maps are finely detailed.

If you're looking for the definitive Fallout 3: GOTY Edition companion, this is it!
55 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 4, 2009
Especially since the technical information contained in it is massive in depth and in scope. Even though I'm only 40 hours into the game (I bought Fallout 3 GOTY and this guide together). This guide has yet to lead me wrong. So you may be wondering why I rated this guide so low (and it hurt me to do it) so let's start with the really good things about this guide first. (As I can tell you now that I HIGHLY recommend this purchase if you own the game.)

- Excellent maps, not only is there a massive movie poster sized map covering all of DC, but there are wonderfully detailed location maps. Plus lots of verbal directions for those of us who are directionally challenged!
- Collectible item locations are all laid out, clear and concise.
- Plenty of spoiler warnings.
- Quest options and the various paths that you can take are laid out in a very intuitive manner. (Something hard to do with a game as free-roaming as this.)
- Hard Cover! Omg, this is such a cool thing. I'm actually proud to show this guide off. Not to mention the binding actually seems really sturdy. (If you happen to be one of the lucky people who own PRIMAs old Breath of Fire III Guide then you more than likely know what I'm talking about.) This guide feels like it could really stand the abuse.
- Excellent presentation of the information.
- I really wouldn't want to trek through D.C. without this guide.

Note that even though I really like this I hope I can explain why I gave it a low rating.
- LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of spelling mistakes. I know what you're thinking, "This guy isn't doing any better!" But I paid a considerable sum for this guide, and there were so many spelling mistakes that it made it feel cheap and incredibly rushed. (Did anyone even bother to proof read this thing?)

A few quick examples for anyone who owns the guide.
-- Page 148 the last sentence on the page IS NEVER FINISHED.
-- Page 122 (In the Weapons: 'Small Guns' section) Under 'Combat Shotgun' and 'Combat Shotgun: The Terrible Shotgun' the ammo type is listed as 'Shotgun Cell'[sic] instead of Shotgun Shell.
-- Page 123 (Right next to the previous one...) Under 'Double-Barrel Shotgun' in the ammo section it reads 'Shoitgun Shell' [sic]

I'm sure there are more (as I haven't read the whole thing, and I won't get into the lack of proper punctuation) but this gives you an idea of what I mean. Either the people at PRIMA thought that their primary customers were illiterate teenagers who speak LOLCat as a first language or someone may be using software devoid of some semblance of a spell check feature... But most likely it was just laziness. I would like to take time to point that I'm not an English professor by any stretch of the imagination (which I'm sure you can tell). But I did work in publishing for several years and I honestly can't imagine ANY kind of good scenario that would allow this to walk out the door. I have never noticed a problem like this before in a PRIMA guide, which is why I rated it so low. Factually this guide seems to be spot on. I just think it was released way too soon.

Oh, and I think that more map references would have been nice, especially if it used the guides own Zone.Section decimal system, as this would have saved a lot of map hunting. In conclusion Great Guide as far as scope, information, and presentation. BAD guide for execution. That's it :D
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 28, 2009
Here's a quick review of the GOTY Edition for those who want to compare it with the first edition.

The obvious: GOTY Edition contains material on all the new main, miscellaneous and side quests, in the same quality and style as the first edition. All the factions, beasts, weapons, perks, etc. covered in detail. 752 pages versus the original 464 and the binding holds together. Great manual overall, especially if you want to find all the things to do in the game.

What's missing:
- Some of the "Overview" charts; for instance, the 'Perks' overview chart and the 'Weapons, Armor & Items' table are missing. The bestiary and appendices charts are all still there.

What's new:
- An expanded "Factions & Bestiary" section has all the new character classes with pictures.
- A new "Census" section has pictures & some bio information on every NPC in the game (seriously, its 40+ pages).
- A new "Gear" section has pictures, stats & info on all weapons classes and special weapons. I preferred the missing chart for ease of comparison versus looking at 3 identical pictures of gatling lasers but oh well. The Gear section also has pics and stats of all the apparel you can find in the game.
- The fold-out map is updated with new quest locations, a smaller map of Point Lookout is printed on a book page, and the pages changed to a slicker magazine style paper.
- And, saving the best for last: an index! Sorely missing from the first edition this is almost worth the cost of the book alone.

Worth the cost of an upgrade? Yes if you want to get the most out of the new quests or you really need that index. Lots of goodness here.
55 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2009
I received this guide on Friday, and package a little bit cheap but luckily the book itself was intact. Now I ll list a few notable changes in this GOTY edition of Fallout 3 guide

+ finally they added an alphabetical index by the end of the book, now much easier if you want to look for some specific NPC/quest item, etc
+ glossy paper, GOTY guide is about the same as the original guide in terms of thickness but there are 300 pages more than the original one
+ detailed walkthrough of all DLC missions, also the maps of DLCs are integrated respectively into corresponding DLC walkthrough chapter, while the original Tour of the Wasteland section is a stand-alone chapter for the original game, the DLC content is about 260 pages, from chapter 8 to chapter 12
+ completely picturized enemy/weapon/armor/NPC lists revamped into a bestiary chapter, the lists also include all the DLC stuff
+ layout even more compact and intensive than the original guide, not like other game guide with huge texts and blank pages everywhere merely to justify the $20 pricetag(or could be somewhat unconfortable for some nearsighted ppl like me lol)
+ all the +s from the original guide, spoiler tag, quest flowchart including every branch, detailed loot and reward, etc

- the original collector edition guide contained a 40 page exclusive insider look of how they recreated the whole wasteland, the idea(why choose DC, how they make use of the Oblivion heritage and keep the feel of original Blackisle game), the concept art, and the design; However, this part is completely missing in this guide, which is a huge letdown, well I guess the ppl buying this guide already had the original one so this might not be a big problem

Summary: Best guide ever existed in English(I heard the japanese The Last Remnant guide has over 1000 pages with even smaller texts lol), if you are looking for a guide of Fallout 3, this is the definitive one; also for those who curious about why the paper guide not some online guide like gamefaqs, well this guide is kinda unique, there is still no electronic guide as comprehensive and vivid as this one, and the guide is very elegant in literature, which is very pleasant to read.
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2010
This full-color, fully-illustrated book clocks in at 752 8.5"x11" pages. If that is not a testament to its depth, I don't know what is.

As its name suggests, this guide covers the main game and all five expansions, including complete walkthroughs of both the main quests and all the secondary and freeform quests. The book also has detailed maps of every location in the game, all the items in said locations, enemies you can encounter, and anything else you would want to know.

There is also a complete listing of all the characters you may encounter, and similar listings of all the available weapons and clothing. All include about a paragraph of description and a list of stats.

Every quest, prior to the walkthrough, is presented in a flow-chart format, so you can quickly see at a glance the ideal path for your character. There are also markers throughout the walkthrough guiding you on the karmic implications of any actions you might take.

Handy appendices in the back list locations of item sets (e.g. mini-nukes or bobbleheads), achievements/trophies and logs/holotapes (needed for some quests/achievements).

The book also comes with a full-size poster with a map of the entire Capital Wasteland on one side and detailed maps of the DC Metro area on the other.

And, to top it all off, it has a complete listing of perks and stats, with tips on how to level up. In short, if you want the full Fallout experience, you want this book.
review image
on June 25, 2017
We received the item and we are disappointed. One it was a day later than we anticipated as it was guaranteed in 2 days. Second we were told it would have a map included...we got a map but it was a skyrim map...not too helpful for fallout 3.For the price we paid we are skeptical to buy again.
review imagereview image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 18, 2009
I was very upset to have missed out on the original Collector's Edition of the Fallout 3 Official Game Guide which seemed to have either had a very short run or was just extremely popular. I was thrilled to see that a new, updated version had just came out with the release of the GOTY edition of the game.

In addition to everything from the original guide, this updated version includes all five of the DLC add-ons as well. It includes a wonderful, poster sized map of the Capital Wasteland. Invaluable to all of us Lone Wanderers.

Much like Sergio, I rarely buy games guides. I've been a computer gamer almost thirty years and this is probably only about the fifth guide I've ever purchased. I bought the original collector's edition of the game upon release and downloaded all five add-ons as they were released. With remarrying this year and moving and all the new housework, I just haven't had the chance to really get started on the game yet and I knew I wanted to spend part of the winter (all of the winter) wandering the Capital Wasteland. Knowing the masive scope of this game, I wanted a guide to help me get the most of my explorations. Like Sergio said, this book is huge. Book doesn't do it justice. Tome may be more appropriate.

For now I plan to use the section on character creation and then plan to roam the Capital Wasteland on my own. While I plan to play the game on my own, you can be assured that this trusty guide will be on my desk beside me the whole time, within easy reach. What I've read of the book has been very enjoyable and gives you a lot of information on the Fallout world and will be an enjoyable read even after I've completed the game. It will be a good conversation piece to pull out in twenty years when I'm showing my grandkids the old fashioned games Gramps used to play back in the day before VR Pods and Holo Projectors!

If you own a copy of Fallout 3 GOTY or Fallout 3 and any of it's DLC content, you owe it to yourself to purchase a copy of this book. You'd be hard pressed finding a better deal on it anywhere other than right here at Amazon too. Pickup a copy today.
on May 20, 2014
There is no poster with my guide. The entire guide is useless without the map. Now I need to send it back.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 27, 2010
With a game like Fallout 3 a strategy guide kind of kills the exploration aspect of the game. I mostly bought this just for simple easy to use maps showing the best weapons and items in the game. However the guide instead takes you through a spoiler filled walk through revealing locations after spoiling key plot lines . Save your money and buy a used game. Just Google everything else.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse