Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Top Contributor: Petson November 18, 2017
Fallout 3 is one of the greatest games of all time.

I know that last sentence seems over the top, but I don't give praise like that lightly, so take it as the true endorsement it is. As a role-playing game Fallout 3 offers you a great deal of choice; who do you want to side with, what type of person is your character, how do you advance your abilities--all these and more are left to you. The story writing is excellent and there is an incredible amount of attention give even in the minutiae. You might find a remote home on the map with no connection to any quest or story in the game that still has a developed NPC (non-player character) who offers humor, sadness, or greater insight into the world of the game. Another strength of this game is the open-world design. While I am not always a fan of open-world games, this one, being set in Washington, DC, keeps things feeling fresh and interesting because of the richness of the locale. DC has such a wealth of famous landmarks, government buildings, military bases, and subway tunnels that you really feel like you are in post-apocalyptic America. The attention to detail with the Metro (subway) system in particular was downright eerie. On top of all of this the gameplay itself was fun and satisfying; there is the usual assortment of weapons, armor, companions, and abilities to keep things interesting.

There are, of course, some flaws. You will likely, at some point, find or do something that makes the game crash. Likewise, as the game is now older, you may have to tweak it to make it work correctly. But it will be completely worth it.

Overall this is a phenomenal game that you can easily, even with just playing the core stories, spend over a hundred hours playing. The story, setting, and variety of characters, abilities, and weapons makes this a ton of fun. Do yourself a favor and play Fallout 3.
on July 10, 2015
I had built a customized gamer Windows system just to try out the newer Fallout games. My biggest complaint is Fallout 3 was never optimized for Windows 7. I have to run a couple hacks to force the game to run in windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Even then, to even get into the game there are many points where there parts where the only way to progress further is to find a script or hack or cheat.
Its one of the most maddening things, when you get stuck because of a known bug or glitch. I've tried to play Fallout 3 for months and half the time I get to a point and just give up. the DLC content - is lackluster. the Broken Steel DLC as far as I'm concern actually breaks the whole darn game. I've tried and I'm done with Fallout 3. Game of the Year??? What a crock of stupid.

Just bought and am playing F:NV... it is 10x better. am looking forward to Fallout 4.
2 people found this helpful
on May 3, 2018
PC/ Xbox/ PS? doesn't matter. Great game. Bethesda took some flak when they bought the franchise, but this installment does a really good job of updating the 1997 "Fallout" to modern format. The design team did an excellent job thematically and aesthetically, and kept the lore of the original games very canonical. My favorite thing is how they took a 10+ year old (at that time) top-down PC strategy RPG and evolved it into a modern FPS while still maintaining the RPG feel. (I concede, it's "The Elder Scrolls" with guns, but it works). In fact, it made me dust off my old PC copy of #1 and I got hooked all over again. It did so well it revitalized and renewed an interest in a game I'd all but forgotten about, but more importantly, the transition between the two was practically seamless because they did such a fantastic job of translating the essence of the original into "Fallout 3". Yes, "Fallout: New Vegas" is probably the better game as any true Wastelander will tell you, but it wouldn't exist were it not for "Fallout 3" and what it accomplished.
on October 4, 2011
I originally bought Fallout 3 back in 2008, and played it about 3/4ths of the way through. I loved it, but it's a huge game, and it's hard to find enough time to finish a game like this if you explore every possible area and do every side quest as I like to do.

Fast forward to 2011. While looking for a new game for my PC, I saw the Game of the Year Edition (GOTYE), and noticed that it included the five add-on packs for the game, priced for under twenty dollars here on Amazon. If memory serves me correct, the add -on packs to the game were each around twenty dollars when first released. So, it was cheaper for me to buy this GOTYE than to try and get all of the add-ons.

If you've played either Fallout 1 or 2, Fallout 3 is very much the same, and I mean that in a good way, even though it's produced by a different company (Bethesda rather than Interplay). It's added new tweaks and improvements, but these are more evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and again, that's a good thing because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Basically, this is a single player game where you are a vault-dweller in a post nuclear apocalyptic world, and after your father leaves the vault, you follow after him. I won't say any more about the plot, but it grows tremendously from there. Along the way, you can help or hurt many non-player characters (you can play as basically good, neutral, or evil, and each has a somewhat different play experiences, particularly between good and evil), and the game is very non-linear. You also have a great deal of latitude on your play-style, although the game revolves around combat.

The game comes on two DVDs ... the first one has Fallout 3, while the second one contains the five add-on packs. When installing, you'll be given an option to check data files corresponding to each game. Be sure to check them all; if you don't (or at least Broken Steel), they won't install and you won't get the new level cap (raised from 20 to 30) or new perks. You can always go back and do it later, but it's easier to do it when first installing the game.

One caveat ... the game does not officially support Windows 7, as it was released before Windows 7 came along. The game works, but a lot of people, myself included, have had the game freeze or crash on them. At first, it was happening about once an hour or so, which I can live with. But it suddenly got worse. At one point the game was literally locking up on me every 30 seconds. I downloaded new drivers and re-loaded the most current patch, which seemed to help somewhat but didn't get rid of the problem. Finally, I read that running the game in windowed mode might help, and it has ... I've played about twelve hours running in windowed mode without any crashes. Note that you have to select "windowed" mode from within the game. Run the falloutlauncher.exe from folder where the game installed, and then click on "options". From there, put a check in the box that says "windowed". You may need to adjust your screen resolution to get it near "full screen" on your display. Finally, after that, I went to my taskbar on the bottom of my screen and went to properties and hid taskbar, so it wouldn't cover up some info on my screen when playing the game. You don't need to do this to get the game to run properly, it just kept the taskbar from covering some the bottom part of the playing screen. But Fallout 3 now runs flawlessly for me in Windows 7. If it starts to crash again, I'll come back and update this review.)

This is a great purchase and a tremendous value if you like this type of action/Role-Playing Game. It's funny, well-plotted, well written, and offers hours of game play and replay. A big five stars.
64 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on August 13, 2013
A large open-world FPS with an extensive amount of quests.

If you haven't played Fallout 3 or seen any of the trailers or gamer videos, you are in for a treat. Released in 2008, the story literally and figuratively begins with the birth of your character. After choosing your attributes, you experience, via growing older, a couple short scenarios in which you learn how to maneuver and use the controls. Then... WHAM... you are released into the vast post-apocalyptic landscape of the mid-Atlantic U.S.

You are given a main quest, and many, many side quests, which requires extensive walking and exploration throughout the territory. In order to complete quests, you must interact with NPCs, choosing which factions to support or fight against. In your personal menu, known as a PIP-boy, you will see how the different affiliations view your character, i.e., "Evil", "Good", or "Neutral". Found items can be cobbled together into weapons and ammo, and armor and weapons deteriorate with use, so you will have to replace them or increase your repair skill. Skills are increased by completing tasks or reading magazines, which provide a timed increase in the skill, or by reading books, which provide a permanent in crease in the skill.

How long the game takes to "finish" depends on how you like to play games. If you want to simply jet through the game, get it over with, then you could complete the main quest in a couple of days. If you're like me, and need to pick up every single item and walk every inch of the territory, then the game becomes never-ending - I've logged over 600 hours. You can always finish the game and restart, selecting different attributes and changing which factions you want to support; some achievements can only be accomplished this way.

The game is beautiful with immense detail, shading, perspective, and the scaling is incredible. At one point your character must climb atop a satellite relay station and walk across the upturned dish. Several of the tiles are missing and as my character peered through one of the gaps to the ground far below, I experienced vertigo.

Although futuristic, the game incorporates retro advertising, appliances, vehicles, and aesthetics from the 1950s, a source of irony as that was the era of the Cold War. The retro nature of the visuals also provides humor and charm - something lacking from most FPS games. There are also many references to movies, T.V. shows, and popular culture, such, The Iron Giant, The Jetsons, Star Trek, and Them! (the 1954 film)... and be on the lookout for wayward teddy bears.

I cannot gush enough about this game, but anymore information will simply detract from the experience of discovery. Yes, the graphics are a little dated, but the game is so well-developed that it is hard to believe that it is a mere video game and not a virtual world, such as, Second Life. (sigh) I wouldn't mind living there if I thought I could actually survive an attack by a Deathclaw.
on January 12, 2017
I initially bought this game as a bday present to myself. I played the base game and i liked it well enough to spring for the game of the year edition. Installation was easy enough and i had no issues with dlc itself. Aside from the occassional trademark fallout crash the base game and the dlc went perfectly fine, mind u my computer isnt a sick rig since im on xp service pack 3. Having played all the dlcs, my favoriate one had to be poiny lookout hands down. The uniqueness of that dlc, compared to the others could not be matched, in my opinion. I gave this game 4 stars because, although the dlc ad ld more things to do, it is essentially the same thing round and shoot things. U spend alot of time running and or walking, ugh dont get me started on that stuff. Operation anchorage was beaten in less then an hour. Mothership zeta was also to short and very cliched and unimaginative. Poiny lookout was nice but wasnt expansive enough, and broken steel was a disapointment in so many ways. None of the dlc contents crashed for me. The price for this bundle was very resonable and it kept me entertained for a few days to a week tops, lol. I dont think ill be making the leap to new vagas, even though my pc can handle it, since i dont have the paitence to sit through yet again watch my character train for a runathon.
on July 7, 2014
A great story with descent music. The nostalgia that the visuals bring, help make this a truly wonderful game. Although I think you may have had to grow up in the 50s and 60s to appreciate the artistry that went into this game. From the beginning with the test pattern on the television to the end of the game I was frequently thrown back in time to my own childhood by the visual cues. How easily this alternate universe could have come to pass or may still come to pass. The game has been out for several years now and I have played through it about 4 times and still have not seen everything.
I would give it 5 stars but even now the game crashes too frequently. Sometimes you have to start at a previous save to get past a crash point. so save often.
on October 14, 2010
I play only two games. Fallout is one of the two. I have all three Fallout series and still have the first two Fallout series loaded on my machine. I have to set an alarm whenever I play to make sure I stop playing at a predetermined time.

I currently run Fallout3 on Windows 7 Pro. I have a quad core. The machine is extremely capable. However, Fallout has been, still is, and probably will continue to be an extreme system hog.

I used to freeze up about 1 time every 5 hours. I found that if I turn my internet connection off (that subsequently shuts down most internet related processes) I only freeze up about 1 time every 30 hours. I have a large monitor, therefore, I play in a window. Running a systems monitor next to the window shows that Fallout does, indeed, use the whole processor. I found that most crashes occur when a ghost program decides to come on line (completely normal). Most of these ghost programs, ie e-mail, rss feeds..., appear to take more of the processor than Fallout is willing to give up. I am no pro. I can only give my observations based on my experiences. (I still have my Commodore 64 with 8 inch disk drive).
3 people found this helpful
on February 24, 2013
I played this game on the XBox, and I figured I would get this for PC so I could play it with some mods.
With that, it's great. It's almost like playing a brand new game!
It still takes time to play through everything, so the game itself is great, if it wasn't for the long install and pointless extra security on the game I would have given 5 stars.

However, the install was a bit odd and lengthy. When you install the game, it's the original version of the game. They did not include the patch with it, so you need to download it.
The second disk with the additional content takes a good couple minutes to load up. I'm guessing it's because of vile validation as the drive I put the disk was constantly reading it. After a couple minutes, the auto-start kicked in and it installed just fine.
Oddly enough, you need to enable the content through the games launcher.
Thinking it might be a bad disk, I copied the install to my hard drive and tried to re-install. It took a couple minutes off it as well, though slightly less time. I just deleted the files off my hard drive and will keep the disk as obviously it's fine.

The game by default loads up the launcher that allows you to configure the video, audio, and add-on settings for the game. However, that launcher requires the install disk to be present. You also need to register the game in Games For Windows LIVE, so why the crazy checks?
There are ways around it, but I won't be discussing them.
Top Contributor: Drawingon February 20, 2012
If your copy doesn't work, don't worry the company has patches to fix that. Not only that it comes with extra downloads (anchorage, the pitt etc). For those who haven't played before its like a first person shooter mixed with some rpg elements. Leveling up stats, weapon proficiencies, npc interaction, morale choices etc. However, be aware that it is rated M FOR MATURE. It has adult elements in it such as foul language, adult situations, VERY INTENSE GORE. The game takes place somewhere in the cold war era with some futuristic tech coupled with ww2 tech and you have a post apocolyptic nightmare with feral ghouls, super mutants, evangelist, mad men/women and a ruined capital as your stage. Survival is key, make friends or enemies and carry a VERY BIG GUN with lots of ammo. Your weapon is your only friend in the wasteland.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.