Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fallout: New Vegas - Playstation 3
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on September 14, 2011
As of September 2011, the game is fully playable and patched. I have played the main campaign twice and completed most of the side quests while exploring the entire map. Allow me to say that during the 60+ hours, the game never froze. There was one issue when I got stuck in a window and could not move, but apart from that I have not experienced a single glitch whatsoever.

The game is definitely worth buying at this point. The map is huge, the weapon selection is considerably larger than Fallout 3, the characters have great voice actors, and the side quests are filled with solid detail. Whatever bugs may have plagued the game when it launched are totally gone and what's left is a gaming experience I give my full faith to. I encourage and ensure you that this game is worth the money now.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2011
I loved playing Fallout 3, but I was very wary of buying this game when I read some of the horribad reviews. I did notice that many of them were posted about a month after the game was first released and since I was buying it a year later, I hoped that many of the issues would be fixed in that time frame. The biggest one that worried me was the bug that would corrupt all of your save games! GAH, that would stink. I looked on the fallout wiki though and saw that this bug was fixed with a patch! WOO HOO!

When I first put the game in, it had to download and install several patches, but after about 10 minutes it was ready to go. I have logged over 100 hours in the game and have noticed some glitches (things stuck in rocks, people sitting NEXT to their chair in the air, but not actually on it) but none have made the game unplayable, just a little strange. I have noticed though that after a long session of about 5 hours or so, the game will start to drag and stutter a bit, but I would just save and restart it with no problem. The only one that has frustrated me really is when it locks up the console. With that said, I have had this happen like 10 times in the 100+ hours I have played. While it stinks, it's not a deal breaker for me.

As far as game play, you can really see how this engine is somewhere between Fallout 3 and Skyrim. There are all kinds of crafting capabilities and the item weights are different from Fallout 3 since they use fractions of a weight for smaller items. Your character can level up past level 20 in this game too, unlike the Fallout 3 base game (without DLC).

The quests are sometimes intricate and sometimes just plain silly. I remember one quest where you are in a tent with a few NCR soldiers and the quest completes by just talking to 4 of them in order. Kind of silly IMHO.

Also, I have noticed that there are some locations that don't seem to have a point, but maybe I have just not unlocked the story that uses that location. regardless, there are several buildings that I have found that are nearly empty and just kind of ... there.

Over all, I really like this game and have not felt that any of the 100 hours have been wasted.
on November 17, 2010
The intricate storyline, interesting quests, and endearing side-kicks (Lily the grandmother super mutant is, quite possibly one of the best characters I've ever encountered in a video game, despite her limited role and interactions...) are not enough to save this pitiful excuse for a game. For the life of me I do not understand how game companies can release games in these states, without ANY repercussions. 40 hours into the game, I couldn't exit a casino, and had to replay 13 hours (good thing I had the save files- it could have been worse). The games locks CONSTANTLY, requiring hard resents. Certain key areas - I can't even enter because of the locking.

We aren't talking a few annoying graphics glitches here - we are talking game ***unplayability***

I'm running a new 120Gb PS3 Slim with only a few other saved game files from Dragon's Age and Fallout 3.

A look on the Bethesda forums reveals innumerable gamers with the exact same (as well as many many more) complaints.

Before you buy this game - I suggest reading the Bethesda Forums to get an idea what state the game is in.

And they have the gall to announce new DLC while the game is not fixed.

What other industry would be allowed to charge consumers for a product that doesn't work? It just boggles the mind.
2525 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2010
Well, I loved Fallout 3 on the PS3 so much I preordered New Vegas. But I would advise people not to buy it, at least until after the price drops to $29 or so. Now that I think of it, I bought Fallout 3 when it had dropped to $29 so it had massive patches by then. There is absolutely no excuse for selling an unfinished game like this at $60. This is a slap in the face and an insult to game buying consumers. Obviously Obsidian and Bethesda are kicking back laughing their way to the bank at how gullible gamers are and intend to keep pushing the envelope of just how unfinished and defective of a product people will buy. As long as people keep buying garbage like this, they will keep pushing out even more unfinished games, these are big, greedy corporations after all.

Good: pretty much just like Fallout 3

Bad: too much like Fallout 3 right down to the same textures and colored building interiors, same npc baddies, etc.

A lot of worthless items to get and hold onto in order to craft relatively low value items from them. Adds more RPG aspect I guess but its pretty useless if you ask me.

Lots and lots of bugs and glitches. Lots of characters stuck halfway in the ground and walls. Lots of characters just getting stuck walking up against stuff and never moving away. Lots of black holes where suddenly everything is black until you get passed the area. Lots of invisible barriers in weird places to keep you from going past. Lots of game freezes. Lots of auto saves being corrupt. Lots of other glitches as well.

My suggestion to Obsidian and Bethesda: try a beta release or two or three and then, after you get a completely functioning game - sell it. I feel like I should be paid as a debugger for having even tried out this refried potato.

Consensus: It smells like yesterdays lunch with Garlic added. Unfortunately the microwave is on the fritz so you best wait til they at least heat it up for you.
3030 comments| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2011
Since I know this game is riddled with numerous bugs, I will just say that it's expected when you buy a Bethesda game. Fallout: 3 still contains the same game breaking bugs, but with no support in sight for its poor excuse of a "game of the year edition." Obsidian tried its best in such a short time frame with such a buggy engine that Bethesda never fixed within its long lifespan. I give them significant praise for what they did with the alotted time and low quality tools. With that said, here is my review of Fallout: New Vegas.

First, I will go over the gameplay. If you liked the gameplay from Fallout: 3, then you will still like the gameplay of Fallout: New Vegas. The new additions added to the game are mainly tied to the "hardcore" setting that forces your player to eat, drink, and sleep. I never really found this setting to be cumbersome because everything from pure water to canned food is very easily found. This new setting does add more difficulty, though, since your companions can die, and stimpacks no longer instantly heal your character. One other addition is the fact that you are no longer in "God mode" while utilizing V.A.T.S. since enemies can now damage you while you bring them some good slow motion pain. While the "hardcore" mode isn't that significant, the main attraction is some of the new mutants and creatures that roam the Wasteland looking to tear your flesh.

Obsidian beefed up the environment with some very good quality music, character designs, and weapons. One of the first things you will notice is the music is now more varied. Although the Oblivion type music from Fallout: 3 remains, the more atmospheric, dark music from Fallout: 1 and 2 is now added. The characters are all designed rather well. You now have enemies that can kill your character in a few blows. Gone are the days of Fallout: 3 where you can kill deathclaws easily through V.A.T.S. Now, you will be lucky to survive a single blow from a deathclaw. Also, good riddance to the Oblivion orcs that were supposed to be supermutants. Obsidian has actually made the supermutants resemble the original design. Fans of the old games will be surprised to find one of the most iconic supermutants in Wasteland history in New Vegas. As for the weapons, they are more varied and have some new perks to go along with each weapon type. Obsidian shaved off the fat and deleted some of the redundant skills like "big guns." Although the environment will give you mixed feelings because the historical markers from Washington aren't present, the dialogue and storyline are the most significant aspects, miles ahead of Bethesda's take.

The dialogue is a major improvement. Your character will not just reflect in dialogue their skill level and perks, but also their intelligence. If you made a character with low intelligence, you will have some unique dialogue choices that are rather interesting and hilarious. This game focuses more on dialogue unlike its predecessor so you actually have to read. You cannot get the full experience from this game without stopping and listening to each and every character's interesting stories and directions. Another improvement on the dialogue is the voice acting. Although I love Liam Neeson as an actor, his voice acting was pretty awful as he was wooden and emotionless throughout Fallout: 3. New Vegas has some of the best voice acting that almost rivals Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. From Chief Hanlon to the mighty Caesar, the improvement in voice acting is so significant that you can feel the emotion through the screen.

Now for the best part of New Vegas, the storyline. The plot of New Vegas involves a multitude of morally grey factions that are vying to build an empire out of New Vegas while some are just trying to carve out a small niche. While the smaller factions are important, the biggest attraction are the two giants fighting over Hoover Dam. The two significant empires are the NCR (New California Republic) and Caesar's Legion. These two empires are enemies in every sense of the word. New Vegas takes an Alpha Centauri-like approach to where these factions are not divided by race but by ideology. Caesar's Legion is a billigerent dictatorship that is actively trying to force man to transcend into the next evolutionary branch. Caesar destroys old cultures and races in order to totally assimilate his empire into a cohesive power that can survive the horrors of the Wasteland through unity and animalistic law (i.e. survival of the fittest). His struggle reflects that of the Master's, but with man leading the charge and no sterility; however, the rival faction, the NCR, are just as powerful. The NCR is the power that you will see a lot of throughout the Wasteland. They are a faction that is trying to revive America's old world laws and morals. Although their design might seem honorable, they are still bringing back America's systematic flaws. Throughout the game, you will see characters bring up some of the pros and cons of both the Legion and the NCR. It is from these descriptions that you will have to choose between these two factions. If you choose not to ally with either NCR or Legion, you are given the choice of allying with the "mysterious overlord of the Strip," Mr. House, or even choose no governance and have the Strip go through anarchy. As stated, Mr. House is a very enigmatic individual, and I'm afraid that saying anything about him will be considered a spoiler because of how detrimental his mystery is towards the plot. New Vegas allows for you to build this world and what is right or wrong. You can be a "good" character and choose to side with the "evil empire" Caesar's Legion, or you can be a "bad" character and choose to go with the "neutral empire" NCR. How you justify their conquest is mainly up to your imagination. New Vegas allows for true flexibility.

New Vegas is one of the best additions to the Fallout franchise, and it is my second favorite Fallout game after Fallout: 2. I am glad that Obsidian showed some of the people that never experienced the original Fallout what the series is about. We actually see settlements rising like a phoenix from its old world ashes, and we are allowed to choose whether to destroy these small experiments or allow them to thrive. Obsidian's take on Fallout is one of legends as they interwove some of the ideas from games like Planescape: Torment and the original Fallouts, and meshed them all together to create a thoughtful experience. If you are looking for a real Fallout game that involves thought, imagination, and patience, then I would more than recommend Fallout: New Vegas, but I would also say that you must play through the originals to truely understand this masterful series.
on November 2, 2010
BROKEN! You're better off playing Fallout 3 again. The same issues that plagued Fallout 3 only worse.
on October 26, 2010
This is a great game. It's fun, innovative, improves upon many things from Fallout 3, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Except for it to work.

I've had it crash numerous times. Sometimes little crashes where I just need to restart my PS3. Sometimes larger crashes where the power button won't turn the machine off, so I need to switch it off from the back. And then when it goes back on, it won't recognize the disc until I remove the disk, power cycle it again, and put the disc back in. And then, typically, it won't load.

Issue has happened both pre and post 1.01 patch. I gave the developer time to patch before going on a warpath.

Trying to return this game to Amazon as a defective product, which it is. If they're half as good as people claim they are for customer service, they'll honor that, because this product is absolute garbage. And it may be the game of the year if it worked. But that's like giving me an Aston Martin that has a 4 cylinder engine. It doesn't work, so there's no point.

Bethesda needs to worry more about the developers and less about getting Chandler to do annoying faux greaser voiceacting.

/rage
55 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
I enjoyed Fallout 3 enormously, and that was the reason I signed up to get the next in the series the day it was released. This has turned out to be a huge mistake, leaving me with nothing but disdain for Bethesda Softworks and anyone else involved in the creation. I played 4 hours without a much of a hitch before the patch came out. Now that the patch is out, I can't do anything for more than about 5 minutes before the game freezes. I have never experienced this level of problems with a game in my entire life. I am honestly considering returning it and never looking back. You really need to start working some overtime and EARNING your money made from this game by making it playable for everyone who put out the money in the release week. I hope to see a new patch fixing all these problems soon, but who knows.

UPDATE June 2011:
-With some of the patches this game as recovered very well. I'm giving it 4 stars now because it's a very well put together game with the updates that have eliminated MOST of the issues. I still get the occasional frame-rate problem or random freeze, but the level of customization on this game is far beyond that of the previous ones in the series.
on October 29, 2010
... yeah

the truth is i have nothing to add that hasn't already been said here, but felt it neccessary to chime in.

fallout 3 was easily the most rewarding and fun game i can recall playing. i've been anticipating the next installment since it was announced.

in short, at this stage, the game is almost unplayable for me. wayyyyy too glitchy. it is freezing on me every 15 or 30 minutes, this coupled with constant loading when entering new areas or regions, is killing me. hard to enjoy a game that you only spend about 70% of the time playing and the rest of the time waiting or resetting.

beyond that, the game is fun. it isn't even remotely an upgrade from fallout 3, but quenches the thirst for more of the same. it does feel a bit like a rip off to wait 2 years for a game and not find any improvment (and actually i preferred the story and setting of fallout 3 more, so it is a step back for me).

anyways, i'm not adding anything new. just adding my voice to the chorus.
on October 24, 2010
I am a huge fan of the Fallout series, however the game is full of technical glitches and errors. This is like going through all the pain of the Fallout 3 glitches and it is completely unacceptable. They need to get this one right, go ahead look up all the gamer issues folks are having with this game. I am sorry, but in a society like ours we should not accept paying $[...] for unfinished games that do not function properly.

1 Star until Bethseda gets it right. Do not buy this game until you have read that the bugs are officially fixed. What a scam to buy a game for this amount and have it freeze up 20 times in the first 5 hours of play.