|Digital List Price:||$14.99|
|Print List Price:||$29.99|
Save $20.00 (67%)
False Pretenses: A Novel (Secrets of Roux River Bayou) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The back cover promises a terrific read; and Herman has written and published numerous novels, so you'd think this would be a "wowser", and yet somehow this particular novel falls a little flat. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or perhaps because this Cajun-flavored storyline doesn't ring true. The problem is definitely the storyline; it doesn't flow well. Something happens--an event--then all the characters must talk about the event for a few pages and even a chapter or two, then another event, and the characters talk about it, and so on. It is studiously plodding, and in the end is completely unbelievable. Frankly, it reads more like a soap opera drama than a suspense or finely crafted mystery.
I grew up in Louisiana; and I spent decades living with, being friends with, conversing with Cajuns. There is no way a person who is born and raised in Texas can suddenly shed the Texas accent, Texas thought process, and Texas loyalty and suddenly change their name and become Cajun... a believable Cajun with a Cajun accent, and mentality. It would be like someone who grew up in Germany, speaking German trying to become a Southern Bell and speak Southern. Can't be done.
The story alternates between two women, Vanessa whose family has just inherited a plantation house and Zoe, who runs a Cajun restaurant with her husband. Both women have bright hopes for the future but things are soon thwarted as an unseen visitor keeps trespassing at the house and Zoe receives notes threatening to tell a secret about her past. Plus a lynching has also occurred stirring up tension and feelings of unease amid the otherwise quiet town. Throughout the book we see why it's a good idea to not go into a marriage lying to your spouse.
While the story for the most part was interesting, I felt that Zoe's secret was revealed far too soon and wasn't as big as I thought it would be. From the summary, it makes it sound like she had a huge secret but when it's finally revealed, my first thought was "oh is that all?" I also found the book a little too Christian-y for my tastes. While more power to them, the constant talk about verses and conversion was rather repetitive and coming on too strong at times. It seemed to overwhelm the suspense part of the story. There were also two minor pet peeves that bugged me a little. One was how Adele kept saying "hon" all the time. I realize that people from the south do this but it's just a term of endearment that annoys me. The other was how during a certain scene, people seemed to be very trusting immediately.Read more ›
But after I figured everything out, it went along smoothly and it was enjoyable to read. I was very annoyed by the main character though, so I just couldn't get into the novel! I've read others by Ms. Herman that I loved, so I was totally surprised that this was such a dud for me.
The plot became interesting AND suspenseful (although not completely believable) as it went along, and turned out to be a good read nonetheless.
I loved the story, the message(s) and the characters! And I wouldn't be the least bit mortified to send it to my mother or my daughter!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good easy read, took a bit to get into it, but then the characters and story took off. We all need to give and get this kind of Grace!Published 1 month ago by Leigh
The opening novel of Kathy Herman's most recent series has a lot of elements that drew me in, such as the Louisiana setting, attention to Creole culture, and the suspenseful past... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Stephanie McCall
I really enjoyed this book! The main character has a secret and her secret backfired on her! Kathy is a great author! I really enjoy her books!Published 6 months ago by Mary
The story had a lot of mystery and action. It had a satisfying ending, and it left me hungry for more - literally! Read morePublished 8 months ago by Jennifer Lanam
Lots of suspense. Along with enchanting characters. It has a plot of lies that causes one couple to go to the brink of divorce or a meltdown. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Amazon Customer
I have never read a Kathy Herman book that as disappointed me. She is one of my favorite authors.Published 14 months ago by Faye
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Mystery & Suspense
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Suspense
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction > Mystery
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction > Romance
- Books > Romance > Romantic Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Mystery & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Suspense