- Paperback: 300 pages
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; Revised, Updated edition (December 10, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0578041197
- ISBN-13: 978-1481106696
- ASIN: 1481106694
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 52 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #305,914 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Why Don't They Just Quit? What Families and Friends Need to Know About Addiction and Recovery Revised, Updated Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
There is a newer edition of this item:
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
*Joe's book helps us to understand the addiction and recovery process.* He combines a lifetime of personal and professional experience dealing with this issue in a practical and highly personal overview. The book is excellent. * I wish I had read it a year ago.*--Sheriff Joe Pelle, Boulder County, Colorado
As a recovering person myself, I found this book to be full of facts that will be useful in sharing with visitors having questions at our weekly meetings. I especially appreciate that Joe included the spiritual part of recovery, which may keep some in recovery focused on helping others. * Most importantly, the underlying message that I read was anyone can recover, bringing hope to those seeking direction.*--Vicki Beatty, Celebrate Recovery Leader/Covenant Chapel, Leawood, Kansas
* This book will be valued by many, many people. * A very meaningful gift of God's grace to families who need sanity in the middle of their runaway insanity. --Mike Richards Jr., Director of Recovery Ministries/International Bible Society, Houston, Texas
*Your story has encouraged me and helped me to deal with my son's addictions and has given me great peace as a parent. * I no longer feel alone with a terrible cloud of guilt, my son's choices have been his own, and I as a parent have done all I can. I will continue to love him and encourage him and, as far as possible allow him to make his mistakes knowing that it is okay to do so. Your book exposed my own trigger points and how I can handle them better. I can put away the guilt and the shame, pick up my own pieces and move forward, helping him to do the same. --Kathy Cowley, Parent, Longmont, Colorado
* . . . stayed up late last night reading various parts of it; inspiring! This book is for people like me; someone with chemically addicted people in their life. * If you, or someone you know and love, are living in the tornado of addiction, finding it spinning you around with your loved one, then this book can be one of the most clear/helpful guides in understanding how to navigate through the confusion, drama and pain that is associated with addiction in a family. Passionate, humble, full of wisdom . . . a must read for the addicted and those who care about them. --Donna Schwartz, MFT, CAC III Valley Hope Treatment Services in Colorado, former Family Program Therapist of Parker Valley Hope Treatment Center
* Many of you reading this book are facing the battle of your life. *Alcohol and drugs consumed my daughter's life. I can't put into words the anguish of attending my daughter's funeral. I wish I would have had this book long ago. Maybe Mia would still be here. I didn't know how to help her. * * Why Don't They Just Quit? is full of answers I could have used.* --Pam M. (Mia's Mom), Niwot, Colorado
* This book is a must read * not only for families of addicts and alcoholics looking for answers, but for anyone who has been intrigued by irrational compulsions and wondered how recovery takes place. * I consider Why Don't They Just Quit? * to be one of the top five recovery books for families and I anticipate it being widely used by treatment programs throughout the country. --Nicholas Taylor, Ph.D., Licensed Clinical Psychologist, National Expert on the Treatment of Methamphetamine Addiction
About the Author
Joe Herzanek, a man who battled his own demons of addiction over thirty years ago, says, "I know people can change. If I can do it, anyone can!"
Joe's own life struggles and practical advice offer hope and solutions to those living amidst the turmoil of alcohol and drug abuse.
Chaplain Joe Herzanek is president and founder of Changing Lives Foundation. He has spent over seventeen years working in the criminal justice system as the Chaplain/Addiction Counselor at the Boulder County Jail and is currently serving as Chaplain at the Weld County Jail (Greeley, CO).
Joe is the former host of Recovery Television, speaker, family addiction counselor, producer of several DVDs and author of the award-winning book "Why Don't They Just Quit?"
Chaplain Joe Herzanek and his wife Judy have three adult children and enjoy the beautiful Colorado outdoors with their two Cairn Terriers, Lewis and Clark.
Phone Counseling for Family Members:
Joe specializes in "crisis counseling" for situations that seem hopeless. He's especially gifted at helping families find their way "out" and partnering with them to formulate a plan.
"Your situation is unique, but it's not hopeless." ~Joe Herzanek
For more info: Email email@example.com or call Joe at (303) 775.6493
“Joe’s suggestions helped us end, what was an incredibly painful time for all of us. For the first time, I feel confident that Justin will find his way. It is a great feeling. It was the best Christmas gift that we’ve received this year.” ~Angela P. (Overland Park, Kansas)
“My husband is an alcoholic and after talking to Joe, I now know that it is okay not to give up on him, and that there is hope. ~Jessica L. (Miami Beach, Florida)
“Joe’s book was the most informative book I had read on addiction. Our teleconference with him was both uplifting and pragmatic.” ~ R.H. (Albertville, MN)
Other resources from Changing Lives Foundation:
-Why Don't They Just Quit? Audio download, MP3 CD
-90 Min. DVD: Why Don't They Just Quit? Roundtable Discussion
-DVD: The 10 Toughest Questions Families and Friends Ask About Addiction and Recovery (perfect for workshops or group study
For more info, articles and extensive resource list:
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 48%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Most recent customer reviews
Easy reading for a painful and emotional topic.Read more
an alcoholic/addict.Read more