“Family Style Chinese Cookbook is a treasure trove of real Chinese home cooking. But it’s more than just a cookbook—it’s a collection of stories about tradition, ceremony, family, and pride.”
—Bee Yinn Low, author of Easy Chinese Recipes
Authentic Chinese cuisine is responsible for some of the most tantalizing dishes in the world. And yet, creating these delicious dishes may seem daunting. We’re not talking about westernized Chinese food that you can find in most Chinese cookbooks, but rather the succulent flavors, vibrant aromatics, and bold pairings that define what authentic Chinese food truly is.
Shanti Christensen knows a thing or two about what makes Chinese food authentic. As food editor for Time Out Beijing and an avid traveller, Shanti soaked up China’s culture and food. But the best cuisine she experienced wasn’t from five-star restaurants, but rather from the family kitchens of locals.
Family Style Chinese Cookbook is an assemblage of family recipes that Shanti collected during her time with families throughout China. Presented alongside endearing stories, these recipes form a Chinese cookbook that evokes a truly unique experience to excite your curious spirit and surprise your adventurous palate.
With Family Style Chinese Cookbook you’ll find everything you need to cook home-style Chinese food from your very own kitchen, including:
- High quality, authentic, Chinese family heirloom recipes
- Cooking tips based on your personal preferences, and suggested variations for hard to find ingredients
- Guidance for stocking up on Chinese pantry essentials and finding unique ingredients
- Overview of essential equipment commonly required for proper recipe preparation such as a glazed clay pot, wok, and mandoline
- Simplified instructions of basic cooking techniques including those for tenderizing meat, stir-frying, parboiling, and braising
In China, food brings people together. With the ease and simplicity of Family Style Chinese Cookbook, you and yours will savor the bold flavors, sweet aromas, and warm connection that can be offered through authentic Chinese cooking.