Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on September 3, 2016
Item as posted
on January 31, 2010
The technical explanations would be better served with examples. It's descriptions are difficult to conceptualize. However, it does categorize different systems approaches, pointing out some strategies of each.
on January 8, 2009
Great introductory book to the theme of family therapy and its systems... could be used in many different approaches in modern therapies.
on April 13, 2009
This book was put together in very poor quality. The writing in the inside of the back and front cover are upside down, so I have to flip the book to read whats on the inside of the covers. The pages are loosely attached in the middle of the book, making it look as if the book is about to fall apart. I am very disappointed in its quality. I purchased this book brand new, and if it was not for the fact that I needed the book for school and didnt have time to return it, I would have. I purchase from Amazon all the time, eventhough usually from sellers not directly from Amazon, this may have been the first time, and I was not very impressed.
on April 24, 2010
We utilized the 7th edition book in my class, but the 4th edition was written as well as the 7th edition.

This is definitely a wonderful book to have for your personal library.
on March 20, 2014
I got it to write a statement of purpose. Perfect book introductory in to family and marriage therapy. Highly recommend.
on February 15, 2011
I am currently getting my masters degree in marriage and family therapy and I must say that this is my favorite book so far after one year into my course. While I do agree that the chapters on cybernetics are a little confusing.... To say the least, the chapters on the actual theories explain things with exact precision. I use it as my main reference book and its quickly getting covered with highlighters. Many people are saying this book is too hard for introductory courses and it probably is. However, don't let their negative comments that revolve around introductory courses turn you off.... there is more to life than introductory courses!!! That being said, I think that a person with little knowledge in the field could get a lot of information out of this book if they read slowly and take it one theory at a time.
on July 26, 2010
This updated edition of Family Therapy: A Systemic Integration (7th ed.) by Dr. Dorothy Stroh-Becvar and Dr. Raphael J. Becvar is an excellent addition to the systems theory approach of understanding and implementing the practice of family therapy and intervention strategies. The integrative approach to family therapy includes the historic underpinnings of General Systems Theory, cybernetics, natural systems, and five postmodern methods. The Becvars interlace these systemic concepts into a dynamic process model that illustrate the various modes of family interaction(communication, roles, behavioral and cognitive process), as well as strategic intervention methods for a more cohesive family unit.

I also suggest as a wonderful complement to the professional and laycouple: Hot Chocolate for a Cold Winter Night by Becvar, Dorothy; ISBN-10: 0891082336; Publisher Love Pub Co ISBN-13: 9780891082330. This book is also a rare treasure for any couple trying to rekindle the heat.

Francine W.
(In disclosure, Dr. Raphael Becvar is my PhD mentor)
on December 9, 2008
I agree with several of the other reviewers. This book isn't difficult but it is terribly written. Consider the following sentence on page three, "Thus, if you, and especially if your parents as well, were educated in Western society, you likely were immersed in a perspective derived from the thinking of John Locke, and those who followed him, about the appropriate rules for theory construction and methodology in the physical sciences." - Uh... come again?

The pretentiousness of this sort of poor academic writing betrays it as a kind of intellectual kitsch, analogous to bad art that declares itself "profound" or "moving" not by displaying its own intrinsic value but by borrowing these values from elsewhere.
on November 29, 2008
It's not that this book is too difficult, it's just poorly written. The Nichols/Schwartz book is much better. This book was assigned for MFT Theory class, and I ended up throwing it away (literally) and getting the Nichols/Schwartz book. I probably read 150 books on my way to getting an MFT education, and this was the worst book in the entire curriculum. Sad that there are so few survey texts available on MFT theory.