Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 1, 2013
I upgraded to family tree maker 2012. I think my old version was 2007. 2012 has a completely different format and I had to use the book a lot and help to figure out how to use it. The old version was very user-friendly and things were easy to find. This version I'm still learning to use it even after a year. There are things that I can't make it do like delete a source. Each time you source something you have to choose whether it's a new when or an existing source there are a lot more clicks and time wasted putting in information if you put in new source each time you source something it lists all as a source. I don't like the way the sources are cited. I'm still trying to figure that out. It just seems that there are so many more motions you have to go through to accomplish the same thing that the old version did. On my old version I would list the residents each time a person moved. On this version I can only seem to list one residence. On the old version I could see all of my notes on one page on this version you have to scroll down to look at the information one has entered. I would go back to the old version except it was not compatible with Windows 7.
on June 9, 2012
This is a very easy software to use. I had used a much older version which I found easy too. But the big plus for this was the Amcestry.com membership. I have expanded my tree to double its size in just a few weeks. Publishing capability is a bit limited. Wanted to do the family view that was available in the older version....can't seem to find it...but I may be missing it. I am very happy with the package. It allows easy merging of information from multiple sources even if the data are slightly out of wack which allows you to keep track of different potential branches and information. I had put my genealogical research on hold a few years ago when I hit a confusing period in the early 1700s when multiple potential branches showed up and I couldn't pick the one that seemed to be my ancestors. This has allowed me to experiment with each and after following the potentials back a generation to decide that I am on the right branch. All in all it has revived my interest in genealogy of my family and I have begun to research my husband's family as well.
One person found this helpful
on August 18, 2013
I bought Family Tree Maker in approx. 2002. Due to computer updates, my old software wouldn't work with Windows 8. So, I updated to Family Tree Mkaer Deluxe (Nova). With the old software, the display of man, woman, children, parents was simple and easily accessed by clicking on the name of the individual displayed. An entire generation could be viewed at a glance. The new Family Tree Maker design of the generation display is clumsy and difficult to use. When clicking on "mother" or "father" , it is difficult to see if it is the mother or father of the man or woman; or, if it is the grandparents on which you are clicking. Nova tries to do too much and the complexity of the display makes it difficult to use and difficult to trace (access) various generations. Also, Nova collaborated with Ancestry.com and forces an update to ancestry so they can sell my family information. I won't buy Family Tree Maker again.
3 people found this helpful
on July 8, 2012
I have had NO issues with this item. A few other reviews said they had problems with installing or losing their data. Initially, I could not get the CD to load. I got frustrated and put it down. The next day it loaded perfectly on my first try. I have a 3 yr old Toshiba laptop running Windows 7.

I have 2 Ancestry.com trees. Whenever I update online or offline I sync my data. Absolutely no problems here. Even my photos copy!

I have not yet played around with all the features, but hope to have some time soon to do so.

I highly recommend it!
5 people found this helpful
on October 21, 2013
They sent me a CD for version 2012 and 2014. Both were a nightmare. They then posted an update for version 2014 on their website supposed to fix bugs and load faster. False!!. The update locked up my PC requiring a reboot. I reverted to version 10 by Broderbund.
I found a work around to get FTW version 10 to install on HP 64 bit Windows 7. It will tell you a DLL file is missing but ignore the warning. The program will run. Also if compatibility warning screen comes up say that it installed correctly. It works! that is more than I can say for versions 2012, 2014 and 2014 update.
If you have the version 10 on an XP or earlier machine and need to move it to a Windows 7 machine, e-mail for the work around. I deleted it from the XP machine so I am legal.
subway-buff@mindspring.com
on September 4, 2014
I hate this software so much. I thought it would be awesome to pair it with my (occasional) Ancestry subscription. Although that feature is pretty cool (I've used it and it's cool to be able to download the media so easily), it's a risky endeavor at the least.

Regarding the program only (not using Ancestry.com): Not only is it cumbersome to use for this very experienced genealogist and quite computer savvy person, it created weird connections in my family tree. This is an unforgivable offense!

I imported my family tree, and can compare that exact same tree on the other program I've used with it as imported to FTM. The differences are clear and it's obvious that the errors are FTM's doing, as they do not exist in the file as viewed elsewhere. It linked completely unrelated people to one another, creating many instances of people being born to parents that lived hundreds of years before or after them and in different (unrelated) branches of my tree. It plugged random individuals into families where they didn't belong. It makes data entry absurdly roundabout and tedious. It's unusable. The only two things I like about this program are the look (it's got pretty buttons) and the feature where you can easily include a descriptive field to the location field (so that a hospital name, house address, cemetery name, etc. can accompany the city, county, state, and country). I can do without that feature if it means my data is safe and accurate as entered.

Editing because I forgot to add this: installation was a pain. I got through it, but I would have been better off if I hadn't.
on February 27, 2012
Purchased this item to use with my Ancestry.com account which already existed. Loaded it on the computer, without any problems, and let it sync with my online account. It downloaded all information I had online fairly quickly and exteneded my existing membership by 3 months as advertised. Really easy to work with, comes with a book that is a great tool for discovering everything this software will do. So far I simply love it. I also updated my family tree online at Ancestry.com and when I started this program on my home computer it automatically synced up and updated the tree on my computer without any problem. Worth the money!
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 2, 2013
I've been doing family research since 2008 and had an older version of this program prior. The great thing about this newer version is being able to sync directly to your Ancestry dot com website tree. Now when you add information to Family Tree Maker, it can upload the info into Ancestry's family tree and any documents or photos you save to your online tree will be downloaded to your computer so you can have them always. I wish there was a report feature where you can run a report on your data like the older version. If it's there, I haven't found it yet but I've looked. Still, it was worth the money and I recommend the program to anyone getting into ancestry research.
on September 15, 2013
It allows me to have the information from Ancestry.com on my computer at home. I haven't even begun to find all the things it can do. I'm still tending to stay on Ancestry.com while I'm paying for that - but like I said, it's nice to have this at home. It interfaces very well with Ancestry.com. I've purchased various Nova Development products in the past and each one has been great. I'm looking forward to being more creative w/this program. I'm working on Ancestry.com with a lot of information that I want to keep on my laptop. Great purchase. So far works very well.
One person found this helpful
on July 11, 2013
When I purchased this program, there was a promotion listed on the box that offered three months of service on Ancestry.com free. The value of three months of Ancestry.com is about $39.00. With the program costing $39.95 and including three months of Ancestry, in essence the program is costing you 95 cents. That in itself is a No Brainer. Family Tree Maker is outstanding and works hand in hand with Ancestry.com as the program and Website are from the same people. When you make a change in either the program or on the website, you can sync via the program and both entities will update with the latest information. In addition, in my opinion, Ancestry.com is the premier Genealogy site on the web. There are a lot of them out there... this one tops them all. You should be very pleased with your purchase. One word of caution: Read the program instructions for doing the install. If you do, it should install seamlessly and the syncing feature will work well. Best of fortune.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.