Family Tree Maker 2010 Essentials [OLD VERSION]
- Family Tree Maker 2010 Essentials can help you create a family tree faster, easier, and better than ever before
- Dynamic user interface lets you quickly switch between important features
- Import data from other genealogy programs, including Personal Ancestral File, The Master Genealogist, and Legacy Family Tree
- Easily add records and images from the millions of available historical records at Ancestry.com
- Bring your family tree alive with attractive charts and reports; photos, audio, and video; timelines and interactive maps
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Ancestry.com Family Tree Maker 2010, the #1 selling family history software, can help you easily discover, organize and preserve your family history on your personal computer and share it in many creative ways. Once you’ve started your tree, you can add photos, video, audio and more. You can also create and print a variety of interactive maps, timelines, charts and reports. Family Tree Maker 2010 includes a one-month subscription to Ancestry.com the world’s largest online collection of family history resources, featuring over 7 billion historical records. Search for your ancestors and use what you discover in your tree.
Family Tree Maker makes it easy to discover your story, preserve your legacy and share your unique heritage as you explore your family tree on your personal computer. Family Tree Maker 2010 introduces even more rich storytelling and organization tools that can add new life to your family history.
Discover your story, preserve your legacy and share your unique heritage. Click to enlarge.
Once you've started your tree, you can add photos, video, audio and more. You can also create and print a variety of interactive maps, timelines, charts and reports. Family Tree Maker 2010 also includes a subscription to Ancestry.com--the world's largest online collection of family history resources, featuring more than 4 billion historical records. Search for your ancestors and use what you discover on Ancestry.com in your tree.
Family Tree Maker 2010 lets you easily:
- Organize your family story privately and conveniently on your personal computer.
- Create charts and reports in a variety of formats to share with friends and family.
- Discover new information anywhere on the web and add it to your tree instantly.
- Integrate with the 4 billion names in historical records on Ancestry.com. Even receive hints linking you to matching records.
- Incorporate photos, documents and audio, video and other files into your tree.
- View timelines and interactive maps.
Attach photos and rich media files that bring your family history to life in Media View.
Use dynamic maps to explore the places where your ancestors once lived in Places View.
Generate timelines that show your ancestors' lives in historical context.
What's new in Family Tree maker 2010?
- New tools and charts that help you tell a richer story
- Better ways to organize photos and other media
- Create slideshows from the images in your tree
- Family books made from your tree
- Standard source templates that help you reference the right information
- A view of your relation to everyone in your tree
- Extended family birthday calendars
- Images scanned directly into your tree
- Family migration paths over time
- Easy family tree download from Ancestry.com
And don't forget the features you've come to rely on:
- Dynamic user interface that lets you quickly switch between important features
- The ability to import data from other genealogy programs, including Personal Ancestral File
- Powerful sourcing tools that let you document AND rate each of your citations
- Interactive maps and lists that give you a bird's-eye view of where members of your family come from
- Place authority database of more than 3 million names that helps you standardize your place entries
- Photo AND file management features so you can easily incorporate all types of media files into your charts and reports
- Timelines that highlight personal, family and world events
- Easy-to-use tools for merging duplicate individuals, calculating dates, creating to-do lists and more
How can you make the most of Ancestry.com?
- Family Tree Maker 2010 comes with a subscription to Ancestry.com, the world's largest online collection of family history resources.
- Your software works seamlessly with Ancestry.com so you can easily search for your ancestors and add the information you discover to your tree.
- You could find missing facts about your family in census records, draft cards, passenger lists, image collections and other historical resources.
Use Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker together. Get the most from both.
- Search the extensive record collections at Ancestry.com without ever leaving your family tree. Quickly merge new records you find into your tree.
- Take advantage of Ancestry Hints. Family Tree Maker automatically suggests records that may match people in your tree.
- Share heirloom-quality books and attractive posters that you create with the self-publishing tool at Ancestry.com.
Your Family Tree Maker 2010 Essentials software includes:
Interactive Training Tutorial for Family Tree Maker 2010 (included on Family Tree Maker disk)
- Get step-by-step instructions and tips that will help you easily build and grow your family tree.
The Getting Started Guide to Family Tree Maker
- Follow simple directions to begin a project and master the program's basic features
The Family Tree Maker Little Book of Answers
- Read short sections that will tell you how Family Tree Maker can work best for you.
Top customer reviews
**Family Tree Maker 2010 was not properly closed the last time it was used. You may need to compact your last opened file to resolve any issues caused by an improper shutdown. To compact the file choose "Compact File..." from the Tools menu.**
O.K. ... program crashes and I get a Microsoft error:
**Family Tree Maker 2010 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.**
No way to start the program, let alone compact the file ...
I spent over 7 hours installing / uninstalling / clean booting / editing registry / updating / etc., etc., etc., as well as reading through hordes of tech notes, forums, and support sites. I called Family Tree Maker tech support: 1-800-262-3787 and followed (to the letter) every procedure as outlined in their support documents:
How do I manually uninstall Family Tree Maker 2010?
How do I fix the error message "Family Tree Maker has encountered an error and needs to close" for Family Tree Maker 2010?
What can I do if Family Tree Maker 2008-2010 crashes on Windows XP?
...'just for starters
In the end the very nice person at FTM Tech Support admitted that there was not much else we could try to get the software working; so I contacted Amazon.com and they were great about issuing a return/refund order.
There must be something ((?)) about my system that doesn't want to play nice with FTM 2010, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to using this software. I may try again some time in the future when I decide to use a different operating system.
The bad: Still cannot add same source to multiple facts. Fixing relationships with parents (natural, adopted, step, etc.) still duplicates child's record(s) in your reports. When have natural mother and step-mother, can attach child to both, but reports show child and child's descendants twice. Spouses still have 'shared info' connecting 2 records with no duplication; seems same concept for child with natural and step parents. Still cannot create reports from a person in the middle of a tree. Must find the multiple oldest ancestors for all lineages and have duplicate info in Outline and Register reports (most commonly used). Cannot select middle person and select all ancestors and descendats (as done when exporting date to new file). Software should be able to compile tree with minimal or no duplicated descendant lineages.
The ugly: Still cannot open GED files older than version 5.5, and opening older files is still convoluted process. Mini-FTM Vers 2005 available on ancestry to install(last ver to open older GEDs). Link hidden in Help Files, FAQs, and if you do not use exactly same index words and spacing, Answer with 2005 link does not display. Ver. 2010 file format CONVERTS older version, but you cannot undo it. You better have a backup file somewhere if you want to work in 2008 while learning 2010. To attach media, cannot navigate to a shared folder outside the tree's specific media folder. And for loyal users, buy only the "Essentials" package. Higher cost packages includes CDs with the same OLD reference materials, not updated for a few years. Higher priced packages not worth it.