Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 281 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 307 reviews
on November 29, 2012
Keep in mind with this kit is not a $1,000 lighting kit, but for less than $200, it is fantastic. That's the key reason that I gave it 5 stars. I am even thinking of buying a second kit because in my opinion, the heads, softboxes, bulbs and case even minus the stands is worth the money for this kit.

Setup:

If you have never put together a soft box, you may find it frustrating. However, since I have experience with soft box setup, I found it easier than most. It will likely take you 7-10 minutes per light to set up even if you know what you are doing. You have to unpack it, put it on the stand, attach the soft box, put in the 5 bulbs and put the cover on the softbox. No matter how good you are, this would take time with any similar unit.

Light:

The lights are bright and you can switch 1, 2, 3, 4 or all 5 bulbs on. It holds 5 bulbs and has one switch for each bulb. That's pretty cool for an affordable kit.

Stands:

I own several quality light stands already. One of my favorites for the money is Giottos LC325 10.7 feet 4-Section Air-cushioned Light Stand which is currently in the $60 range per stand here on Amazon, so if you needed 3 for this kit, that's nearly another $200. Since I own several stands including nice C-Stands, I don't plan to use the stands that came with the kit. However, the stands are usable but are not the quality that I personally like.

Heads:

Again for 15 bulbs, stands, a case, soft boxes and heads for under $200, you cannot expect the heads to be what you'd find in a $1,000 kit. I said that first to state that the heads are kind of cheap feeling, but they do the job. You need to just handle like you would anything else that is not super high quality. I plan to baby them for the most part.

Travel (Just an Opinion at this point - not fact based from experience with this kit):

I have not traveled with the kit yet, but I believe it's a lot about how you take care of your equipment. If you are a heavy user of these type of lights and would be setting them up and breaking them down 3 times a day, 5 days a week, I could see the wear and tear catching up to the quality. However, I think this kit will be fine for light use even on a weekly basis.

Overall Quality:

Because I have alluded more than once about the quality of parts of the kit, I thought that I would add this segment in. Remember, this is a kit that is under $200. I own professional equipment and I own some cheaper stuff. There is a difference and that's why you pay more in most cases to have professional equipment. I still believe for the money this kit is hard to beat but you cannot man handle it like you do some pro-equipment. My c-Stands are heavy duty and two of them probably weigh more than this whole kit but they cost more than the whole kit. Just keep in mind you have to consider the quality based on what you paid. In this case, I would not have been disappointed if this kit had cost more than it did, but I like what I paid for it. I am very happy for the price paid and what I received in return. It's not fair to compare this kit to a $1,000 kit because it's not, but for the money, it is fantastic.

Side Note:

If you take all your soft boxes out of their cases at once and lay them out, you may have a hard time figuring out how to get them back in their cases. I recommend taking one light out and setting it up first leaving everything else packed up, so that you can get an idea of how to pack it all back up. Just a thought...totally up to you.

If you have a $1,000 laying around, you should find a $1,000 kit that is built like a $1,000 kit. If you want to get a nice kit for under $200 that will do the job if you take care it, then I say buy this kit.

Happy Lighting ... I hope this review helped.
55 comments| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2011
You can't beat this setup. Everything works excellently as described. Although there's no much in the way of instructions if you get on Fancier's website there is a video that explains how to put the softboxes together and it's really easy. They throw excellent light and the 4 bulb light heads can also be used with umbrellas. The stands are decent but not exceptional, but an excellent value for the price. I put pennies in my counterweight bag for the boom stand and it works. This equipment is untouchable for the price... PERIOD.

Is it studio quality? not quite, will it last forever? probably not.. but you get alot more than you pay for and it's all definitly decent quality.
33 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2017
Product is as described. When I first turned on the lights I was disappointed because my light meter showed F 2.8. Then I remembered - ahh, fluorescent bulbs, they need to warm up. Once warmed up, they gave the same F 4 reading as my Lowel DP 1000 Watt bulb with diffusion. So, yes, they do put out the amount of light advertised. The limitation is that you can't turn lights on and off to check for lighting ratios because of the lag in getting to proper brightness.
Construction is as previously reviewed - OK but not professional level.
These are a very inexpensive way to get such a large amount of light. Even the speed ring from Chimera to use one of their light boxes on my Lowel DP is $100 and the Chimera light box is over $200, so really, this kit is a bargain.
I'm hanging these from the ceiling and they're not being dismantled. If using the light stands, definitely get sand bags. I also glued the poles into the Velcro pockets since even if dismantled, you don't need to take the poles out.
As a permanent installation, they're a great deal. As a travelling kit, I'd have my qualms.
on April 12, 2014
This is a decent set of lights -- good for starters. The stands are very sturdy and the light bulbs are good quality.

However, the soft boxes are not well made. The heads that hold the bulbs are not sturdy enough to hold the weight of the bulbs and sure enough after a few months of use they broke and came apart exposing the internal wiring (very dangerous...)

If you are on a very tight budget or you are looking for some entry level lights to use before you can afford better ones, then go ahead and get these.
review image review image
on April 23, 2017
Great product for the price I bought it for, but there are definitely problems. First of all, there are way too many bulbs to keep up with. Then when they came in, a couple never worked. They go out after a while, which is fine since you have so many bulbs that you can still light up your room/subject. Another problem is that they are very lightweight, which seems like its a good thing, until you find yourself constantly making sure it doesn't tip over and break. It's tipped over many times from people accidentally running a cord underneath or bumping into them until one of them finally broke and smashed a few bulbs. I will never buy this product again just because I HATED taking the bulbs in and out and in and out and packing and unpacking. After about two years the bag split, since it's not very durable. Now have to make sure those bulbs don't come spilling out! Anyway this product IS really great, especially for the price. It lights up the room very well, and it's easy to adjust, just don't accidentally tip it over while adjusting.
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2014
I was really impressed opening this studio set. First off the packaging is awesome and each piece has its own package. I do have a $1500 light set at the office and I use this one for travel interviews. Each light came with 5 bulbs and most of the time in a room 1 bulb will work for video. The kit even comes with a carrying bag once everything has been unpacked. I kept the boxes expecially for the bulbs for travel reasons.

Everyone who saw this set couldn't believe it was only $160

The stands for each light seem fairly sturdy.

I will share that most of the time lights like this do not come with instructions on how to be put together. You do have to find the holes in the outer edge of the mount and insert the rods in the hole (these ones are about 18 inches and slightly bend when you put the shroud in place, the may feel like they are going to break but they will not) . Start with the top rods and then insert the lower ones before you put the bulbs in place.
on August 19, 2016
These studio lights are VERY bright. 3000 watts of power is enough for photo OR video. They have a very color temp and are low on power usage. We have used these lights aprox 500 hours and every bulb is still working. Not one bulb has gone out. The only con I have with these lights is the length of the cord. The cord is only about 5 feet long and it comes from the light head so if you extend the lights up, you will need a small extension cord to reach an outlet. The light stands are better than most of the cheap flimsy ones that come with most light kits. I recommend these lights.
on February 4, 2017
The lighting is mediocre, yet more lights are needed to have good lighting.
on February 21, 2016
I ordered three of these. Out of the nine that came 2 were messed up. They are not amazing quality but they do get the job done.
on February 28, 2015
Nice for the money I just expected better. I wouldn't knock it though. It is an awesome starter kit.