Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 122 reviews
on September 18, 2012
Such a great album through and through. I love every single track....each one sounding like a hit single. I first heard Metric a year ago while driving my friend's truck and I heard the song "Help I'm Alive" on a mixed CD playing. I asked him about "the zombie song" and he told me it was Metric. Little did I know then just how sick this band is. I was super excited that their second album was another success (in my opinion). I saw them at Lollapalooza 2012 and am excited to see them again at ACL 2012. They are just as amazing live as they are on the album (the test of a true musician). I decided to splurge and buy the first LP ($82) since I'm getting my 'Synthetica' album signed in Oct. SO TOTALLY WORTH IT! I'm sure they don't see a whole lot of 'Fantasies' LPs waiting to get signed since they didn't have a label for their first album and few LPs were made. Looks like I'll have to pick up a white sharpie to get the job done. Anyway, you'd be a sucker not to download this album for a mere $6. And while your at it, download the second album (another $5) and create one of the catchiest, exhilarating, energizingly brilliant playlists on your device! :D
on January 14, 2010
"Help I'm Alive" playing on someone's MySpace page was my introduction to Metric. I loved the song so much I got the CD right away. They remind me of Ladytron whose "Velocifero" I was quite into before finding this album. They have that futuristic sound (and female vocalist), but they are more versatile. Whereas Ladytron has the same foundation for their music, Metric branches out from the straight electric pop sound. The best tracks on Fantasies are "Help I'm Alive," "Satellite Mind," and "Gold Guns Girls." The packaging is cardboard with the lyric booklet glued to the inside. Fantasies is their fourth album. If you like futuristic-sounding indie pop, give it a try.

"Help I'm Alive"--Addictive! Futuristic sound and I really like the guitar kicking in at "If we're still alive..." That part is hella catchy! You can't help but move to that riff.
"Sick Muse"--Nice pulsing verses: "Watch out cupid / Stuck me with a sickness." The chorus isn't as good when the synthesizer kicks in as it gives it a carnival sound for lack of a better word. This track is the source of the "Fantasies" title: "Let me live my life / The one I'd better lead / All the blondes are fantasies."
"Satellite Mind"--Second favorite track on the album. Dark, electropop that is also danceable. Intriguing lyrics save for the F-words.
"Twilight Galaxy"--Slower, transporting track. Dark and delicate.
"Gold Guns Girls"---The third best track. Fast-paced, flying rocker! Great lyrics, too: "All the gold and the guns in the world / Couldn't get you off / All the gold and the guns and the girls / Couldn't get you off...Is it ever gonna be enough." Singer Emily Haines said it is about a "deep dissatisfaction in the material realm."

"Gimme Sympathy"--Starts out like one of those alternative ballads from the 1990s and continues as an upbeat number maybe remembered most for the line "Who would you rather be, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?" This, along with "Help I'm Alive" is the easiest to remember.
"Collect Call"--Now this one actually sounds like a 1990s alternative ballad, especially at the bridge: "If somebody's got soul, you've got to make them move." Reminiscent of Belly, perhaps. Soft and delicate song.
"Front Row"--Futuristic rocker.
"Blindness"--Dark and slow but picks up at the bridge "What it is and where it stops nobody knows."
"Stadium Love"--Kickin', noisy song that is an appropriate end to the CD.
on May 19, 2017
Another great album!
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2009
It's been a long time since I've bought an album and played it from beginning to end without fast forwarding through bad songs. Metric's Fantasies is a wonderful effort from the Canadian harmonic rock band. There are strong Pixies influences and the upbeat female vocals perfectly complement the music and lyrics. It's accessible, but retains the intelligent writing that you would expect from an indie rock band. Five big stars.
on May 28, 2014
I was looking for a new CD and wasn't expecting to find "new" music in something out for a few years. Glad I did. I have been listening to Miike Snow, Crystal Castles, Discovery, etc lately, and this fits right into my "genre" and tastes.
on June 25, 2017
good cd.
on January 14, 2013
I love this band ever since I heard Give Me Sympathy and saw the video or played Combat Baby on Rock Band 3 I've been hooked. I've heard this group show up in a lot of movies and shows like Scott Pilgrim vs The World, or TV Shows like Greys Anatomy!!! The band lead by Emily Hanes is such a wonderful sound and it truly cleanses the soul ! Collect Call, Sick Muse, Stadium Love, Blindfold, Front Row, Help I'm Alive, Give Me Sympathy are all great songs and should always be heard on a Monthly dare I say WEEKLY basis! Do not miss out on your chance to own one of the greatest bands of our Generation. This CD is full of Butterflies...
on September 9, 2011
I never gave Metric much notice until I downloaded Gimme Sympathy when it was free. I listened to the samples and and recognized a couple other songs and just decided to go for it. As someone else said, I was pleasantly surprised! It's one of those albums you can listen to all the way through and you don't even notice when it repeats and starts over. The songs all flow well, have a nice rhythm, and feature great vocals and variety. At the price the MP3 album is being offered at, you would be silly not to get it. Don't bother trying to just get the three hit songs (Help I'm Alive, Gold Guns Girls, Gimme Sympathy) because the entire album is full of hits!
on January 21, 2012
I found this group quite by accident, Amazon suggested it to me because of stuff I already own etc. So I gave it a listen, I'm really glad I did. It's rare that I find an album that I like every single track on. In fact albums like that are few and far between and this is one of those albums even the couple songs I was just kind of on the fence about have grown on me. I like this album so much that I'm going to give the rest of their music a listen and see what else they have that I like.

yeah... listening to this right now, love love LOVE this album, give it a listen, I let several of my friends at work listen to this and all of them really liked it, even my wife liked it!
on April 13, 2017