To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Fantastic Families: 6 Proven Steps to Building a Strong Family Hardcover – September 1, 1999
After the Speech: When Teens Get Real
It's not just about dreams; it's about life. Inspiring stories from transparent hearts. Learn More
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Stinnett and Beam are researchers with the Family Dynamics Institute of Franklin, Tennessee. Fantastic Families is a study based on a sample of 14,000 families from across all 50 states and 24 countries covering, at the time of writing, about 25 years of research (x-xii). The book is written in 7 chapters introduced with a preface and introduction and followed by 4 appendices, notes, and bibliography. The chapters focus on 6 qualities that “good” families share in common:
1. Commitment—these families promote each other’s welfare and happiness and value unity.
2. Appreciation and Affection—strong families care about each other.
3. Positive Communication—strong families communicate well and spend a lot of time doing it together.
4. Time Together—Strong families spend a lot of quality time together.
5. Spiritual Well-being—whether or not they attend religious services, strong families have a sense of a “greater good or power” in life.
6. Ability to Cope with Stress and Crisis—strong families see crises as a growth opportunity (10).
Each chapter then consists primarily of a list of characteristics contributing to each of these qualities. For example, a committed family has 6 characteristics:
1. Commitment to marriage;
2.Read more ›