Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15 reviews
on May 6, 2010
Just when you've gone through the rules and a couple rounds of play and you think you're getting the hang of it, a curveball is thrown at you and other players, and you're forced to rethink conventional strategy.

Playing safe in this game is not necessarily a prudent option, as you will often find yourself somewhere in the middle of the pack while an opposing player has been making what seemed like reckless strides forward in their conquest and is now about to claim victory. In short, be aggressive and plan at least a couple turns ahead with contingencies.

Also be aware that this game has the potential to use almost every figure and tile piece, especially in a 4 player game, so be mindful of your surroundings. Also be prepared to spend at least 2 hours per game, even with only 2 players, and as long as 3 to 4 hours if it's going slow.

Is it worth $80 on Amazon? Well my friends and I split it, so that is a definite yes. There are also optional rules/map markers that supposedly drastically change gameplay but I have not used them yet. This alone almost makes for a second similar but separate game, which is very good. But unless you are willing to put in the time to learn the base game's varied subtleties, you may want to save your money for something else.
on February 4, 2011
I convinced my girl friend to play this game and we both really enjoyed ourselves. The game can be long on your first try, but game-play is really fast and interesting. I really like the fate deck style instead of dice rolling, it adds an intriguing concept to the game that one could count cards like in blackjack. You may also think that at first glance this is merely an overly complicated version of risk, but it is definitely not. In our first game only 3 battles were even fought before my girl friend actually beat me by collecting all of the dragon runes. I would like to think of this game as if they made Lord of the Rings the movie into a board game. I say this because you have heroes going around the board that are not really affected by the armies trying to collect a set of objects and at the same time there are some massive battles going on between the players too. The game also has a bluffing-like characteristic in that each player has objects hidden on the board for themselves, but the other people doesn't know which of the objects are real or not. If you really like board games, this is a must have!
on February 27, 2011
I must admit, at first glance, the cost of RuneWars scared me. I have never spent over $50 for a board game before. However after receiving RuneWars and playing it for the first time with two buddies, We all clearly saw Huge Game Playing Value. This game will entertain for hours! Plenty of fun, laughs, strategy, and playability. All with only a medium sized learning curve. At first glance the 40-page Rule Book, can be daunting, but the rules start piecing together and making sense fairly quickly.

However I highly suggest also going here: [...]

To read and print out the updated game faq as this is very helpful and their are a few minor errors explained and corrected in this early release of the game.

Also be sure set up the correct Elf Race Card, as my box came with two, one incorrect and one correct (starting resource numbers).

Overall I give this game so far a 9/10 and look forward to updating this review in the near future after a few more plays. :)

By the way.. The Game is Stunningly well Designed from an Artistic standpoint!
on May 23, 2011
This game is fantastic, I tend to agree with most of the other reviews here. The box is bigger than it really needs to be and you can expect your first game to take approximately 6 hours. After that most games will probably be closer to 4 hours, so this is an excellent rainy day activity. It's tons of fun. Even though there is a lot going on, once you play through it once, the rules are actually quite easy to pick up. My girlfriend and I have played about 5 times now and we both love this game. Great strategy game. If you like Risk and want something along those lines with a bit more depth, this game is for you.
on March 26, 2010
I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. It's set in the same world as Fantasy Flight's Rune Bound and Descent games. It allows you a macro game to play, conquering tiles and looking for Dragon Runes. My one complaint is that the hero part of the game feels like an add on and isn't as deep as I would like.
on March 30, 2010
This game has loads of potential, unfortunately for me it falls flat in many areas. This game is very complex in terms of rules, which normally to me is fine. However, the rule book is poorly laid out and many game play aspects are inadequately explained. You will find yourself searching through the 40 page book quite often during play sessions for clarification of the rules.

The whole goal of the game is to obtain Dragon Runes. The runes ultimately serve as a mechanic to create conflict between player armies. I found it disappointing that there is no game play benefit for possessing these runes. The concept of Dragon Runes doesn't add much substance to the game, their implementation feels generic and tacked on.

There are many aspects to this game that seem to be rather abstract and lacking polish. Combat is one-dimensional, each unit figure receives only one opportunity to attack during a combat round. This limits the amount of punishment and badassery any one unit can dish out; which I find to be rather anticlimactic. So the killer dragon you recruit has a huge chance of never even dealing damage in combat (and that's if you manage to get it to the front lines). The one round combats wouldn't be so bad if a battle would last more than one season. It would add to the epic theme of the game if a battle had the potential to last through the spring to fall or even longer. It could give you the opportunity to send reinforcements to the front lines. So many tactical options could become available if the game devs would have tweaked the combat system just a little.

Ultimately, aside from the many convoluted rules, underdeveloped themes, and weak combat mechanics, it is a fun game. To me many aspects of this game just fall flat and leave me wanting more.
on April 3, 2011
I bought this game for my brothers, as they both play Settlers of Catan, Risk, etc. The game took forever for them to set up and has a bazillion little pieces, but they play it more than any other board game, so I would say my gift was a success. =)
on February 18, 2013
I would reccomend to purchase this from a gaming store or bring it to one to learn how to play. Once past the learning curve it's a great game.
on November 23, 2010
This game is highly detailed, beautiful, and fun. It's got some good elements of strategy, and the dynamics for turn-choosing are creative while the idea of using seasons to rule game play provides for realism, creativity, and chance. I also enjoyed how the game is based not so much on territory-gaining or enemy-slaughtering but on gaining "dragon runes." This meant the game never bogged down to a stale-mate because, sooner or later, someone was bound to get a card that would help them get the final dragon rune needed to win. Altogether the game is a fun and in-depth fantasy strategy game.

However, I found that it bogged down in the detailed rules. I only played through 1 full game, so (to be fair) I am still quite new at the game. But I was constantly flipping through the 30-odd page rule book looking for information on how to handle things from duels between heroes to gaining dragon runes to determining battles. If I could remember all the rules, it would have made our 5- to 6-hour game into probably a 3-hour venture. I can handle 3 hours, but 6 hours was simply too much.

I was also annoyed at how the game threw in two basically separate elements: heroes and armies. While armies can move every turn, the heroes only move one out of every four. Further, heroes can never join in a battle or be harmed by enemy troops; they simply run around searching for treasure and battling in duels. Should not a hero be able to join an army and help? The use of heroes seemed almost an add-on based on some guy's desire to have heroes rather than based on any need or purpose in game-play. Instead of being interesting or important for the game, the heroes simply complicated things with more rules to try to remember.

For people who have better memories, more time, or just plain like very detailed games, this would work much better. For people who want a one-hour war/strategy game, this is definitely not it.
on February 27, 2012
I love playing RuneWars, I love that the game stays exciting the whole time and that there is SO much variety depending on the decisions your opponants make. I would highly recommend this product to anyone, geek and non geek!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question