Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on December 14, 2011
I was excited to see Fantasy Island, and found that the quality of the dvd was good, considering the technology at the time the series was made. I remember being enthralled by this series as a kid, and it is still a fun series to watch, although I can say that the period was decidedly more sexist than today, and the series is a product of its time. I notice things now that I would not have noticed when I first saw it, but if you can take that with a grain of salt, the shows are still neat. It is also neat to see cameos by a lot of stars that became iconic of the era.

I remember this show, and watch it for the nostalgia factor. However, TV viewers have become a lot more sophisticated over the years, and I find that the shows I remember being "great" are a lot cheesier than I remember. A person watching ANY series from this period for the first time may find it a bit simplistic, but this show has the advantage of the incomparable Ricardo Montalban, who pulls off the mysterious, sometimes slightly sinister, Mr. Roarke as no one else could. The fantasies generally run in such a way that the client gets what they NEEDED, but not necessarily what they thought they WANTED, and there is usually a happy ending for them, but the middle can be a bit dark, and the eerie mix of benevolence and (apparent) chilling indifference to the fates of the clients makes the stories much more suspenseful. (Along the lines of:
"Mr. Roarke, you have to get me out of here, I changed my mind!"
"Oh no, Mr. ___, once you the fantasy has begun, there is no way to stop it.">look of polite concern<
"But they're gonna KILL me!"
"Well, then Mr. ___, if you don't find a way to meet their demands, it would appear that you will die..." >professional smile< )
Of course, the back-and-forth with ever-present Tattoo adds the warmth and comedy that keeps you from feeling that Mr Roarke is in any way evil, and lets you know that it will all work out in the end, so the show ends up being a feel-good program.
on January 20, 2016
This sure takes me back to a simpler time growing up. Sure the special effects were nothing to write home about and the stories were pretty cheesy but I wouldn't change a single thing about growing up in that time period and remembering how my brothers and I would sit in front of the tv watching shows together including Fantasy Island. And now, as an adult, I sit here watching reruns of our old favorite shows remembering fondly my childhood yet saddened at knowing that I will never again be able to watch this show with my brother who was taken at too young an age last year by a reckless driver. So to this show and many others of yesteryear all I can say is thank you for being an anchor for me to a time when my whole family was together and happy.
on February 28, 2015
This show takes you back to a time of innocence, when there was wholesome shows on TV with a moral or lesson. You don't see that much on TV anymore. It is a relaxing and enjoyable show. And of course, Ricardo Montalban is awesome. He has such a presence on screen. I'm sorry that he is gone. He really was a good guy in life and on the screen.
on April 27, 2015
My lady and I were reminiscing one night about "the good ol' days" and we both started talking about our fondness for the series "Fantasy Island". I checked it out on Amazon, my first source for online buying, and found a set of the first full season. The order went through smoothly, as always, and we had a few pleasant nights reliving TV when it was still a major creative endeavor. It wasn't quite up to our memories but still very enjoyable.
on August 10, 2016
I enjoy watching the shows I remember growing up. Anything to get away from all of that "reality" crap they put on these days. I have season 1-3. I wish SONY wold get their collective heads out of their butts and either release the rest of the series [even if I had to purchase a box set of all 7] or give the distribution rights back to SHOUT Factory so they can release them.
on April 12, 2017
Entertaining to see currently successful actors "back in the day!"
on March 3, 2016
Good for family fun.
on May 14, 2017
Just as I remembered watching it when it first came on tv!
on July 16, 2016
Just a nice getaway to nostalgia-land. I must say though, that the first season had Roarke in a more dark and mysterious role. Interesting to see the contrast with later seasons.
on December 26, 2016
Cannot wait to buy season 2 as I loved this tv series when it was on while growing up as that is how tv should be made.