Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Fantasy Lover
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on February 17, 2015
This was the first book I read from the Dark Hunter series. If you like the fantasy romance thing with Greek mythology thrown and you liked Fifty Shades of Grey, then you will like this book. Julian of Macedon is a Spartan general and every woman's fantasy. As a lover, he has no equal and knows how to please a woman. Great for the woman but not so great for him since he cursed, trapped inside a book for the last two thousand years coming out only when a woman calls him out and only for 30 days to be used as a sex slave then returned into darkness until the next time. There is no escape for him and he has resigned himself his fate. Until one day Grace Alexander is goaded into calling him out by a friend who insists she needs to "get laid". Not that she believed it would happen until he steps out of the pages and tells her who he is and why he is there. For Julian it is just another 'job', another woman to please before he returns. But Grace is unlike any woman he has met before, she refuses to just use him for sex insisting on getting to know him, taking him out places, even buying him clothes (something he lacks when he walks out of the book). And Julian quickly finds himself wanting more than just servicing her then leaving. He falls in love but there is that pesky curse. Like I said if you like fantasy, romance, Greek mythology 50 Shades of Grey, this book will keep you very interested. Ms Kenyon does a very good job of filling in his background (tragic) along with explaining some things about the Greek Gods, tying in everything nicely and oh yes, there is sex...not all out raw sex but enough foreplay throughout the book that it will keep you turning the page till the end. It has a good plot, has some great moments when he is taken out in public and the ladies and some men go gaga over him. There are very hilarious moments that keep the entire thing from being too dark. It certainly kept me interested enough that I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the Dark Hunter series.
on August 7, 2016
I have enjoyed rereading Fantasy Lover. on my Kindle. I fell in love with Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing over 10 years ago when I bought FANTASY LOVER in a pink paperback cover. Even after so many years Sherrilyn Kenyon and her Dark Hunter novels are still my favorite author and series.

Julian of Macedon has been cursed to be a love slave for 2000 years. Women throughout time only needed to call his name under a full moon to have a demigod lover for a month.

Dr. Grace Alexander, sex therapist, has just had her 29th birthday and still has no boyfriend. Selena decides that maybe a love slave is just what Grace needs to get over her fear in men.

When Grace calls Julian out of his book the sexy demigod does stir up her sexual fantasies but can she just use him like so many others did?

The writing made me feel a roller coaster of emotions. I was happy, sad, angry, worried and even embarrassed with the characters. I wanted to taste the Cajun ambrosia, could smell he pasta sauce, I even played the songs listed.

I don't want this to be a spoiler so I will say the end was justice and the epilogue was SWEET.
on September 2, 2015
Julian of Macedon was once a great and fierce general whose exploits were legendary. But all of that is forgotten now. He's been reduced to being a love-slave, stuck for all time in an erotic book, waiting the summons of the next woman who desires him, hers to play with for exactly one month before he must return to the book. His imprisonment is due to his jealous brother, Priapus. You would think with Aphrodite as a mother, Julian would get the help he needs, but that isn't happening.

Grace Alexander is a sex therapist. Ironically, she has no sex life to speak of. Her one and only relationship was a sham, and the cruel man who used and abused her left her with no desire to try to love again, although she can dispense advice to her patients without difficulty. Grace's best friend Selena is a practitioner of certain arts, and practices her magic in a public square in New Orleans. She hates to see her friend so alone, and when she accidentally stumbles upon the ancient-looking tome with the hot hunk on it, she gets a scathingly brilliant idea.

Grace doesn't really go along with what Selena does, and she certainly doesn't believe. But after a few drinks, anything is possible, so she tells Selena to bring it on. But when Selena intones the words to produce Julian of Macdeon, nothing happens and Grace is not surprised. However, in the middle of the night, after Selena has gone... things do happen... and Julian arrives looking more naked and glorious than a man has a right to.

Although he's incredibly sexy, Grace refuses to use him to scratch her itch, and for the first time in a very long time, someone sees Julian as a man, and not a sex-slave. He finds himself falling for Grace, hard. But what purpose does it serve to love her, when at the end of the month he's cursed to return to the book?

Not if Grace has anything to say about it.

I've read this book three times and loved it each time. Technically, this isn't a Dark Hunter book, but I consider it a must-read if you wish to read the series because it introduces important characters. Plus it's just damn hot.

I fell in love with Julian and Grace and wished only the best for them. The writing is amazing and very emotionally charged, as well as visual. I love the author's sense of humor, and her turns of phrases. You can't help but love these people, as well as their friends and family. Who doesn't love stories that involve the gods and Greek mythology?

It's hard to believe Ms. Kenyon can top this, but I already know she has, as I'm re-reading the series. If you enjoy romance, if you believe that love will find a way, and if you like to see people get what's coming to them, this is a great book for you! This book has a lot of heart and soul. It's a definite keeper.
on August 27, 2013
What can I say, gorgeous Greek God's, magic, mystery, suspense, and heart wrenching cruelty. How can Kenyon go wrong? It's obvious isn't it, she doesn't! I laughed, got pissed, was anxious at times, and probably cried harder than any of that at the end. Then I had to chastise myself for crying over a book I was pretty sure would work out at the end. Just reading through the scene brought the tears like a knee jerk reaction for what was unfolding. Trust me, your gonna want to read this one. I reserve 4 star ratings like it's gold. I generally permit a 3 star for good books. An author really has to impress me to get something higher out of me. Grace's pain at the end, felt like a twisting knife straight to my heart. Julian's constant inner turmoil of the past, and his sacrifice for Grace hit me like a boulder on top of the head. Please, do read this, you will NOT be unsatisfied. Extremely worth the read!
on April 1, 2015
I read this book several years ago and lost my copy in my move. I have read it twice and will probably read it again. Sherrilyn Kenyon has a wonderful way of putting "real" people with "unreal" heroes. I love the fact that Grace isn't a mannequin, side-stepping all the male drool as she walks by. Grace is beautiful inside and I love the way Sherrilyn shows that inside beauty is what some tormented heroes like Julian need. Her heroes are deep, strong men who don't have to be blind to appreciate a good woman. On the down side, I have been slowly giving up on Sherrilyn in the past few years, ever since she started another series. I'm not talking about the Nick Gautier series - it goes well with the Dark Hunters. But since her books have to first go into hardcover, plus there is a delay in putting out other Dark Hunter novels because of the new series, I have to re-read some of her books to refresh on the characters she mentions in a new book who were mentioned in a previous book. She is a great writer and I wish she could at least not make us wait for paperbacks to read her long, long overdue Dark Hunter novels.
on September 26, 2013
So first off, yeah I am a little late to the party on this one.

I was in search of a good urban fantasy when I saw some talk about the Dark Hunter series. Looking it up I saw that FANTASY LOVER is the one to read first if I am to get into that series so onto my kindle it went. This story captivated me from the start and had me grinning like a fool and fanning my face all in one. A great mix of humor and steamy that kept the pages turning.

Grace is a sex therapist who is in need of getting laid, something the first line of the book states rather bluntly. Selena, Grace's best friend, decides that with Grace not having sex in several years that it is time to do something drastic. On Grace's birthday on the full moon Selena convinces Grace to say a chant that will supposedly summon a sexy greek love-slave for Grace. Of course this is all very silly and Grace all but jokes her way through it, humoring her friend the best she can. Well, the joke appears to be on her because in her home appears none other than Julian of Macedon, Greek love-slave!

It is from here that the humor in the book really picks up and I found myself laughing and grinning from ear to ear.

Julian is the son of Aphrodite the Goddess of Love, and his father was a merciless General. His upbringing was less than great for his parentage and shaped him into man who was ruthless in the field but always craving the love of another that never seemed to come. A single act against his half brother, a Greek God, results in his being cursed into the book for the past 2000 years doing nothing but pleasing whatever woman summons him. Never appeasing his own needs. Grace is not at all like the women who have summoned him in the past. Because of her history she wants nothing to do with him sexually and after hearing his story wants to make his time with her about him.

I could understand Julian and how he is the way he is from his history in the cursed book to his upbringing. Grace was a little harder to connect with concerning the back story she was painted with. I still liked her personality and had fun reading her character.

This was a fun way to escape with characters that you can love. I know what I will continue on into the Dark Hunter series because of this book.
on January 28, 2016
I absolutely love her books. She is an amazing author who brings such amazing love, intrigue, mystery, and just the right amount of Greek mythology.
Her men, in this case Julian, is this Greek God but really a Spartan who hates the Greek. He was a general that choose to do some stuff that got him on the bad side of his brother. 2,000 years into the present he meets a woman who makes him realize he is more then just his curse.
Grace Alexander is a sex therapist who has been through tragedies in her life. When her best friend gets a wild idea to try something new out on Grace. On her birthday she gets the shock of her life, Julian of Macedonia.
Together they build this timeless relationship that could come to a crashing halt with just one choice.
on June 3, 2016
I just re-read this book and still love it like I did the first time. Grace Alexander has a Ph.D. in Psychology. She has her own house and great friends but she has not been lucky in love at all. Her best friend Selena believes in the paranormal and her family is really into that type of thing. So she finds a book that has a Greek love slave trapped in it and takes it to Grace's house on her birthday. They perform it on her birthday and on the full moon and out of the book pops Julian of Macedon.

Grace is a very normal and serious person. Her parents were killed in a car accident when she was 24 years old and she's had to live without them since. Her parents were greatly in love and she wants a love like that. She had an ex-boyfriend that used her deep grieving and hurt to use her and take her virginity from her. She doesn't know what to do with a Greek love slave. She feels like she needs to know someone before she sleeps with him. She feels for Julian and understands him and comes to truly care and love him.

Julian was a Commander and General Spartan and warrior. His mother is Aphrodite and his father was a General. He was a talented and brilliant soldier. But his mother made it that women would all lust after him and want him and men would all be jealous and hate him. And also no would would possibly love him. He had let his half brother Eros/Cupid shoot a woman with his arrow to make her love him. He married her but she never loved him and they had two children. His other brother Priapus was jealous of him and let Julian's wife know what happened and she freaked out and killed their children. He was broken hearted and then he was stuck in the book and has been in and out of it for 2 thousand years. He's been stuck in the book and not released since 1895 and the book is set in 2002. He comes to really care and love Grace but doesn't think anyone can ever love him.

Definitely worth reading.
on March 24, 2014
I really enjoy the Dark Hunter Series. I have read them all. The early ones are her best by far. Just the right mix of romance, mystery and paranormal fantasy. The only issue is that the further you read in the series the more violent the books become. I definitely recommend the book, I just caution people that when you get to books such as Acheron and Styxx, the violence and torture can become too much to read. I had a very hard time finishing the last book she wrote (Styxx) because of how graphic it was. Don't let these comments stop you from reading her books. Ms. Kenyon truly knows how to create a world all of her own and make you believe it really exists. Her fantasy world contains so many substories, plot twists, character relationships that I don't know how she keeps them all straight, but everything she writes flows smoothly from one book to the next. You become so familar with characters that you feel as if these people exist in you life. She is an amazing writer.
on January 23, 2012
After reading Black Dagger Brotherhood, I found this book to be very... boring. The Greek Mythology was entertaining and I can see where this book might be necessary to explain future characters/mythology in the Dark Hunter series but my goodness. I like action, suspense, and a whole lot of romance. In this book they go shopping and hang out. Julian is a sex slave who wants someone to love him for him. Grace, the sex therapist who doesn't have sex because she was traumatized by a college kid who didn't respect her feelings when he took her virginity. He sort of had a bet with his buddy to see who could deflower the most virgins that semester. Well, who hasn't been particularly irked by someone they slept with in college? Everyone's got a story and this one was dull and a little pathetic. As a sex therapist, couldn't she "therapy" her way into having sex again without having a Macedonian Warrior turned sex-slave appear out of a book for her to "save"? She wasn't as well-adjusted as I would expect a highly educated woman in a psychology field to be. Ugh... I need something more... Action (not necessarily sex but something)... Not just sitting around the house thinking about how much you want to do it, or walking around the mall thinking about how much you want to do it... Lame.

Just finished book 2 of Dark Hunter. Much better than Fantasy Lover. Much better plot. I have high hopes for the rest of the books in the series now that we have that "background book" out of the way.