Customer Reviews: Fascinations GreenEarth Butterfly Kit
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Happy Belly Snacks Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on August 18, 2010
I ordered this kit and was excited when I received it BUT there was no coupon for caterpillars inside! I sent it back and Amazon kindly sent me a new one right away. Now that I have the coupon for caterpillars, I realize that it cost $12 MORE if I want the caterpillars. Let me get this straight - I spent $20 for a tiny laundry hamper and now I have to spend almost that much just to get the good stuff??? I should have read all the information because now that I have, I realize that there is a Butterfly Garden Insect Lore Live Butterfly Garden that only charges $3 for the caterpillars. This was such a ripoff and not a good experience.
on March 24, 2011
The product information on the box of the butterfly kits is misleading. The contents of the kit lists a coupon for live caterpillars. But when you open the box there is not a coupon, only an order form to purchase caterpillars at an additional charge. There are other companies that sell kits shipped with live caterpillars for a lower price. When contacting the maker of the product, customer service representatives were not at all willing to resolve the issue. They offered no explanation for the deception on the box and refused to work with me.
on July 18, 2007
This toy is a great idea! Though very costly for what you get (mostly just a square netting with a few cheap accessories! You must buy the eggs separately - we only had 5 babies hatch - and after 3 days only 1 is alive! My son loved it when they hatched, but he is VERY disappointed he only has one left - and he is assuming that one will die quickly too! We read lots of extra information on how to keep them alive - but not much worked! It might be better to keep them in their natural habitat!
on May 3, 2008
You have to pay extra for the critters! I think the cost of the kit, toy, etc. is even over priced! Then to pay more for the insects is a rip off!! Someone is sure making money on this one!
on May 21, 2011
The box "Butterfly Kit - Raise your own live butterflies Watch and learn about life cycles!" is false advertising. It contained only the habitat NO LIVE material! Worse than that, the kit is useless--the zipper doesn't work at all!Fascinations GreenEarth Butterfly Kit
on May 18, 2008
I'm an adult and I'm struggling. I can't imagine what this would be like for a kid. I had over 200 hatchlings. I'm down to about 60 at first molt. They eat wingless fruit flies. These may/may not be sent with the mantises and there may/may not be an extra charge. Whether you get them or buy them, the supply is woefully inadequate. I started buying them at PetCo where 20 live flies are $[...]. The mantises can eat three flies a day each. I then paid $[...] for stock, growth medium, and breeding chambers to grow the flies - which take up to a month to produce a new generation of flies, and that's turned out to be another worthless, expensive nightmare. Fruit flies can eat fruit - but only when it's rotten. Rotten fruit stinks and gets moldy. Both flies and mantises can die from that. The mantises need to be indoors where it's warm, as do the flies so you can't just put the parts that stink outdoors. The live food that these guys need, and the food that the food needs, is a whole level of complexity and expense you may not be ready for. Finally, it is suggested that you separate the mantises into their own little mantis condos since they eat each other - especially if you don't have and abundance of other food for them to eat. I was fortunate to find small plastic jars. That still leaves me cleaning, adding a water source, and adding flies to dozens of containers. I spent nearly four hours Friday night cleaning everybody up and swapping out the fruit I've been using for the flies. A horse would be less work! You can treat this casually and basically kill all your mantises, and I suppose that would be a learning experience. If you want to come out of this with happy, healthy, full grown mantises, even a couple, you're going to pay a lot of money and do a lot of work. You may want to try the butterflies!
77 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2012
This product did not come with the caterpillars, we had to order them separately. However once we got them, they were wonderful. Children learned a lot and I even was able to get a video of the butterfly emerging. We released them to go on their adventures.
on March 25, 2015
Have to order larvae. It was in listing , but you have to order when temperature is over 40 degrees but less than 70. Since order comes from Seattle and I am in southeastern North Carolina, this could be a challenge.
on November 11, 2014
I had so much fun out of this with my granddaughters. We watched the little critters eating, wiggling and growing to twice their size. Then we watched them hang upside down and turn into cacoons. I took pictures of them everyday to show their progress. It's well worth the few days it takes to get your little jar with the miracle bugs. I had to bug-sit while the girls were in school and wound up watching the caterpillars and butterflys as much as the girls did. Yes, I'll reorder again next year, the environment in the kit was excellent, it was easy to se them and they had plenty of room to fly when their wings were dry. Good buy for the kids and the grown up.
on April 26, 2015
This little house is great! Unfortunately, the description makes is seem as though the cost of the caterpillars is included, which they are not. There was a little slip of paper with their website on it telling me where to go to purchase caterpillars. I was so irritated by that that I chose to purchase from another company. I hate feeling duped. But the little house is great and we had a lot of fun with it!