Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 270 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 300 reviews
on May 7, 2017
While I do love Mark Dacascos as a narrator and actor, I was a bit disappointed by how sensationalised the information seemed to get in this special. History used to leave the sensationalism out of their specials, but it has been several years since I've watched one of them. While there was quite a bit of good information about the Samurai who ended up following Musashi's path, there was a bit more hype to it than I was used to.

That being said, the reenactments were very well done, and it didn't initially register that Dacascos was playing Musashi, as the costuming was very well done, and he was dirtied up quite a bit initially. When they were into the meat of the matter, the show was very interesting, and it the information was presented well; however it was when they got into the sections of the "modern day" where it got a little off.

Overall, it wasn't that bad of a purchase, and I don't regret it. The quality of the show is a lot better than anything on the internet for the clips, and the full show is definitely worth the price. I just do wish that the special was a bit more like the older ones that stuck more to the factual information.
on July 26, 2016
Unable to access this purchase via the Amazon Video streaming app on my television. It shows up in my Video Library as "History, Specials, Season 1. When I access this and go through the list of episodes, the list stops at episode 165. This is episode 197. I've tried adding this one episode to my watchlist, unsuccessfully. Don't buy this if you plan to stream it to your TV. You can, however, watch it on your computer.
on February 21, 2017
I love the Hustiry Channels Specials. I've learned so much. The one on Armageddon was really informative and I knew next to nothing about Andrew Jackson. It was a very fair portrayal of a controversial president, and put it in the context of that period in history. I'm always irritated by judging historical figures by the standards of the present, and the History Channels doesn't do that. I felt my education was pretty inadequate and the History Channel lets me fill in the gaps. Highly recommended. I plan to watch many more.
on November 24, 2016
Fantastic! I first saw this when it first was aired on Hist. Chann. and I've waited for ab. 6 yrs.to watch it again. It is amazing, I had been a graphic designer as my occupation for a long while, so I do understand both 2D and 3D work. Thank you very much to History Channel and to Amazon for fulfilling my wish! It's great to watch, you'll enjoy it, even if you do not have any particular faith beliefs. I highly recommend this video, I do like to warn those who have never seen it: be sitting down when you reach the final moments of the face revealed.
on April 6, 2017
Was looking for a video about the Alamo and this was more like a video about an historian and a film making crew and how they filmed a recreation of one part of the battle. This battle scene, which played at the end, was very short.
on February 11, 2013
The History Channel has produced a series of excellent documentaries here. They are not all equal, though. But they are all great brain fodder.

If you want to get excited about the Middle Ages, watch Going Medieval. It is an incredible presentation of real life in the Middle Ages that does not get bogged down in nobility. It debunks many myths. Mike Loades explains things like the effects of arrows vs. different types of armor, the surprising mobility of full plate armored knights (scary), the different types of horses for travel, taverns vs. inns, the many ways to kill with all parts of a sword, the mma-style grappling knights used to subdue opponents they wanted to ransom, cleaning and producing dye with urine, and so on. I cannot say enough about this wonderful episode. If you have anyone interested in medieval times or fantasy books and movies set in quasi-medieval worlds, you have to buy this for them.

The Godfather Legacy was a touching look at an American classic that has influenced our culture immensely. The episode on Zombies and the one on UFO's are fun and informative as well, presenting quality evidence and historical facts.

All in all, the episodes are well-produced. You really cannot go wrong buying these for this price. They are perfect for families and classrooms. We should write to the History Channel and tell them to produce more. Maybe sequels to these episodes--especially GOING MEDIEVAL!
on August 30, 2013
I homeschool my four kids ages 8 to 14 and we are all studying medieval times. I like bringing in video to my history discussions as much as possible, but am usually careful with what I use because videos don't always include references or citations that can be easily found in books.

My children were enthralled by the program. I loved how he countered some of the myths/misinformation and the fact that there are people who are re-creating castles and siege engines using medieval methods. I especially appreciated the fact that whenever he challenged common perceptions about medieval life and combat, he would always preface the discussion with "I think.." I especially loved the scientific experiment involving the impact of arrows on a man's body that he used to support one of his theories. I would recommend this program as a supplement to history. Great job! That was definitely money well spent.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2017
Very interesting ideas! Made me think about the world a little differently!
on August 3, 2017
Always loved a good History Channel doc. Only downside is Amazon movie file for this only selection always locks up and crashes. After dozens of attempts, I've never seen while file selection past episode 160 something. Hope it's fixed soon as I'd probably like to see offering and buy one or several
on March 12, 2017
a good series of specials