Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 153 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 187 reviews
on June 25, 2016
If you've never seen this movie, you've in for a treat. This is the story how the country built the first atomic bombs during WWII. Paul Newman (can't ever go wrong there!) plays the military man who keeps Los Alamos going. Of course, Robert Oppenheimer was the lead scientist and he often disagreed with Newman's character over how to keep the scientists happy and productive. There's, of course, a scene where they set of the first bomb - it really catches your breath. Oppenheimer makes a statement at the time that we ""Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." One really fabulous movie that really makes you think!
on May 29, 2017
Good movie about the making of the Atomic Bomb. Paul Newman, John Cusack, Dwight Schultz, Bonnie Bedelia and Laura Dern do an excellent job of telling the story about making the bomb before the Germans. Great story and an excellent job by all the cast members.
on February 21, 2015
I'm a science history type, and was surprised when I found out about this movie. I thought I had seen everything on the subject, go figure. It's a well rounded version, with a few technical glitches, but nothing you would notice without a physics class under your belt. I'd love to give it 5 stars but there was something about this movie that just didn't get me on the edge of my seat the way a 5 star movie should. I can't put my finger on it, but I think 4 stars is where I have to put it.
on April 15, 2017
Movie itself was great. 5 Stars worth. The digital video quality delivered by Amazon was marginal. It was grainy at best and was supposed to be HD. Not close. And I have great bandwidth capacity into my home and stream lots of HD shows that look great, so lack of bandwidth on my end was not the culprit.
on June 6, 2017
I've always enjoyed this movie. I'm happy that I was able to find it on Amazon prime, as it's now apart of my video library. Paul Newman is wonderful as General Groves but Dwight Schultz was freaking AMAZING as J. Robert Oppenheimer. What I find the saddest is that Schultz wasn't offered more leading roles after this movie. He proved that he could carry a movie with the best of them.
on April 22, 2017
A decent docu-drama. It's fact based, but some historical content is condensed or glossed over in favor of storyline.
on May 3, 2016
How poor Paul Newman got suckered into joining the cast of this listless film is a mystery. And how they cast Dwight Shultz as Robert Openheimer..one of the most charistmatic scientists of the 20th century..also a mystery. Likewise L. Dern and J. Cushack who take this turkey right to the bottom. They ignored the biggest intrigue of all, how a Soviet spy carried all the secrets out of Los Alamos. Skip this dull movie and have more fun reading an old pone book.
on January 3, 2016
Terrible, faux history with unnecessary and unhistorical characters and plot lines. Avoid. if you are interested in a far more realistic and detailed account of the Manhattan Project, get Day One.
on May 13, 2017
A Classic movie and had trouble finding a new DVD at a good price. You did both. Thanks
on October 13, 2015
This was an interesting story. It focused more on the personal interactions, relationships, and issues more than on the science or current events at the time. It made me want to learn more about the Manhattan Project and the circumstances around it. There were many well-known actors and actresses in this film. The story line would have been a little easier to follow with some prior background knowledge. The story follows this event loosely, but really isn't meant as and isn't a documentary.