Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 25, 2017
I watched Father Dowling every week with my parents when I was in high school. It was time we set aside to gather as a family. Three decades later, thanks to the DVDs my parents and I are once again making time to get together each week and watch Father Dowling.

Part of what amazed us is that the plots are still relevant, and topical. Spouses trying to figure out if they can trust one another, gambling, smuggling, Russian espionage, the vehicles, technology, and some of the props may quickly date the show, but the story lines are as relevant as ever.
2 people found this helpful
on August 24, 2012
Just what the Dr. ordered, American T.V. fare before so-called reality T.V. filled the screen with unethical, uneducated, cruel, idiotic, mind-numbing programs. Do not expect Shakespeare or Masterpiece theatre because you won't get it, but this program is filled with good fun, a little light-hearted mystery and comedy, and good actors. Tom Bosley, recently deceased, is a delight to watch especially when the character of Fr. Dowling's charming con-artist brother is added to the mix. Ricky Nelson's daughter Tracy plays the nun with the big eyes, big heart, and street-wise background, the chief cook played wonderfully by Mary Wickes, the actress who was in "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby back in the day, and James Stephens as Fr. Phil make a great combination of characters and fun that the whole family can watch. If you enjoy watching a good program without fear of R or X-rated language or theatrics, this is for you........
7 people found this helpful
on December 18, 2013
In the spirit of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Diagnosis Murder", this series also features a main character in an unlikely profession for solving murders. Wherever Father Dowling and his assistant Sister Oskowsky go, someone turns up dead. While the local police are usually quick to find a likely suspect, the snooping priest just as quickly finds a good reason to take a closer look. Father Frank Dowling, a Catholic parish priest in Chicago, drives housekeeper Marie to despair by his habit of being late for dinner as he and his assistant (streetwise nun Stephanie 'Steve' Oskowski) solve numerous neighborhood crimes, usually involving at least one murder. They generally outsmart the police as well as the criminals. Another priest Father Philip Prestwick, whose priority is his own ecclesiastical career prospects, takes a very dim view of their crime fighting and on Sister Steve even being there but gives us comic relief.
on July 17, 2012
I'm really loving this series, 2nd season even more than the first, now that I know the chracters. I hope the media companies keep putting out the older shows, especially mystery/crime series of all types. The ones today are good but they all have the same formula and half the time I know the answer before the 2nd half begins. Also, today's shows tend to have the same storylines from one show to another, Idon't know if its "from the headlines" writing or if there aren't alot of writers and they get recycled or what but from the 40's through the 80's and even a few 90's, most of the writing is unique to the show and the characters and make them so much more interesting to watch an entire episode and love the characters and try to solve the crimes. Current shows always leave me saying "haven't I seen this before" only to find out its a brand new episode, first time aired. My husband does it all the time too - "We've seen this one" - but we haven't because its NEW! Keep releasing old shows and I'll keep buying them whenever they are afforable.
on August 22, 2012
This series is just now becoming available in the US. I had gotten it years ago and found out after receiving that it was only for Canada and was unable to find anyone carrying it in US format. Nice little mystery series, not too gory, no bad language. Amusing with a feisty nun playing off the formerly by the book Parish Priest.
8 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2015
Great Series -- bought all three. Great family fare. I always enjoy Tom Bosley's warm personality, which shines through his many TV parts. And this series is no exception. The supporting actors add to the enjoyment, as do the stories. Warm interactions between the principals and interesting plots. So unlike much that passes for TV entertainment today. Definite family friendly.
on April 27, 2016
Father Dowling Mysteries Season 2 is very good and you might want to get season 1 and 3 too. If you like mysteries and like Tom Bosley this will be a hit for you too.

enjoy
on April 26, 2018
Can watch this priest all day!!
on April 8, 2013
I enjoyed this show when it was originally on, so I was glad it came out on DVD. The only thing I didn't get is that Tracy Nelson's character is supposed to be from Chicago, but in season 2 she sounds like she's got a new york accent. She didn't have that in season 1. Regardless, it is a very entertaining show. Not graphic, no bad language, I just find it entertaining.
on March 7, 2017
This whole series is really great. I watched them when they were on TV and this series holds up through time. The quality of the discs is great, they are made for small screen so you have to make them fit the size you want, but the stories, film and sound are great.