Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 513 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,141 reviews
on April 4, 2015
I admit that I only read the book after seeing the movie when I was younger, and even after hearing the song by Avenged Sevenfold "Bat Country", but this story changed a lot about the way I think. "The American Dream" is the theme of this adventure story (though I use the term adventure in place of "drug binge fueled blaze across Nevada), and two unlikely companion take their wild "trip" to the heart of Nevada: Las Vegas to find the dream and write about it to bring home. This story is very crazy to be honest but it is time and time again one of my favourite stories. If you are into half truth and half fiction stories where it is hard to draw the line between what could have really happened and what exactly was fabricated you will enjoy the wild ride Thompson will put you through in Fear and Loathing. It has twists and turns and bizarre events at every turn. It will keep you enthralled and engaged and you can buy a ticket to take this ride safely from the comfort of your home.
on September 20, 2017
This is the quintessential HST book in the eyes of many folk, read it and find out why. Sure there are many other great novels by Thompson, but this is arguably the most discussed no? His wild lifestyle comes alive through the pages of this wonderful literary journey.
on January 12, 2015
It's Hunter S. Thompson's masterpiece of Gonzo journalism, wherein the narrator is moving and participating within the action of the tale as it unfolds. It's a really fun book to read if you did drugs when you were a youngster and were a bit of a rebel in your youth. Thompson's use of language is a delight in itself, which is probably the real reason why he was able to make a living as a writer, and it is a rather timeless piece of one paranoid's survival of a long, lost weekend, where the poor soul "strayed very close to the edge." While being "timeless," the narrative can only be fully appreciated by a reader who knows the music of Jefferson Airplane, who once took too much LSD at some time in the past, and who now safely can re-read a easily flowing tale from a roller coaster lover, who briefly escaped from his straight jacket long enough to leave us an absurd tale of excess and debauchery --- and excess it was.
on March 9, 2017
Better to enjoy Hunter's experiences in book form than in real life. Shame he took his own life, but I respect his choice. I think he lived more in his 70+ years than I could, even if I lived past 100. I think Depp and Torres did an awesome job with the movie version. Highly underrated!
on November 10, 2016
I had never heard of Hunter S. Thompson but Amazon continued to recommend Fear and Loathing to me.
I continued to pass it over. One day I decided to see why they kept bringing it forward.
Well......because it is a fantastic read! It's not for the faint of heart as it is drug addled from the start not to
mention very strange in general. I read any great memoir I can but there are a lot of differing opinions on whether or not
this story was really in his experiences. Certainly, that is not really relevant. It's a good book and enjoyed it!
on May 21, 2014
Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a relatively fast paced narratives that focuses heavily on the narrator's interpretation of events rather than the events themselves. This drug-fuelled narrative is an interesting blend of 'stream of consciouness meets the unreliable narrator.' This book is best enjoyed by readers with the flexibility to appreciate a tale for what it is. If you are looking for a strong plot-driven story then you will not find it here. The strengths of Fear and Loathing lie in the descriptive language used by Thompson to deconstruct and completely satirise the notion of the 'American Dream'
on March 28, 2017
This is a work that I say started a revolution in journalistic storytelling, along with his other books. I think this guy made writing matter by putting yourself in the middle of the piece.
on November 10, 2016
Awesome hardback edition! I only wish it had "Mescalito" in the extra articles by the good Doctor.
on January 23, 2014
When anyone hears that you read (or are reading) Fear and Loathing, they usually make some comment about the, admittedly, extreme and excessive drug use. However, the drug use is only one part of the novel. The deeper, and much more important part of the book is Thompson's comments/arguments about American counter-culture movement. Thompson writes--quite beautifully I might add--about the "high water mark" of the movement and what it may (or may not) have meant. Furthermore, Thompson has a very interesting (in a good way!) writing style that is very similar to the movie which makes the book a very entertaining read. Anyhow, you might not like the drugs (I actually found some parts to be quite excessive and distracting from the story) but the deeper elements of the book definitely make the book worth reading.
on May 6, 2017
I recently read this after having a sudden interest. I watched the movie about two to three years before and I must say, the book was great. I don't advise this to adolescence or weak stomached individuals for the dark nature of the author, Hunter S. Thompson, but i do recommend this to all readers searching for a classic. This one is definitely something else.