Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,659 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,365 reviews
on January 16, 2016
Adam Brown, a kid from Arkansas will capture your heart. When he grows into a man and is besieged by addiction, your heart will break.

A testimony to faith, redemption and the power of love to overcome addiction, uncertainty, and physical pain. Reading the letter Adam wrote to his children is poignant and had me in tears . Even now, writing this review my eyes well up.

If you think you've got problems, I promise you don't. Not after reading Fearless. This book is told from carefully culled recollections of Adam Brown that include parents, wife, fellow SEALS, friends, his twin sister and his older brother. Even his young son and daughter's remembrance of their dad are woven into Fearless, which only adds to the dimension a man who wasn't beyond falling off a pedestal.

What makes Adam different beyond his ability to withstand trauma, pain, humility was his drive to take his weakness, a human frailty and recommit himself. Whether it was to his wife, his family, the Navy, or his faith, in giving his all, he has given the world a dichotomy in which to understand a hero isn't a saint. A hero is the person who is unstoppable in their quest to do the right thing.

Fearless: A remarkable journey, a soul shaking love story between Kelley and Adam, and Adam and his tribe. A book that will shake the reader into asking the question, what have I done to help the world. And ultimately, isn't that definition of hero, the person who inspires others to do good?
on July 23, 2014
I loved this book. If you are looking for an action packed, shoot'em up military story, read something else. If you are looking for a story of ultimate courage, patriotism, faith, and sacrifice, this would be my number one choice.

I am a former school library director, I know books. I feel that this book should be required reading for every high school student. This book is so inspiring that the reader can't help but think back on their life and feel like they should have and could have done more. And it leaves you with the feeling that you need to start right now and work to be a better person.

The story of Adam's life is truly amazing. I cannot fathom the courage he had to over come all that he did to achieve what he did. Adam proved that even though you make huge mistakes and reach the lowest point of life, courage and faith can turn you around and you can still succeed in life. Although few would be able to achieve what Adam did.

If everyone in our great country, that Adam loved so much, would show only a small fraction of his courage, faith, sacrifice and patriotism, (especially our leaders), the United States of American would be a much different and better place.

I am not pushing Christianity, but this book shows what faith can do for a person if they let it.
I could go on and on praising this story and Adam, but I'll close by saying to all, READ THIS BOOK!
on May 31, 2017
Whenever I need a pick me up, I read this book. My husband and I are in the military, stationed apart, and marriage is hard enough without adding to it. Whenever I need a reminder that we can make it through this, I read this book. Adam Brown was a hero, not just for his actions in combat, but for the way he lived his life, overcoming more obstacles than one person should ever have to experience. Eric Blehm did a wonderful job with this story. My husband and I have "Fearless" engraved on our wedding rings because of this book.
on May 20, 2017
At first, I was debating not getting this book. I tend to dislike the "biography" and it's 3rd person style in favor of the first person narrative of memoirs. Some biographies can be monotonous with few quotes to the point where you're wondering where exactly the author go his information. Plus, I already knew the tragic outcome of the book.

However, I don't think I've saw a book on Amazon with nearly universal acclaim so I took a chance on it.

Eric Blehm makes it very known where he got his information. The amount of quotes in this book is staggering to the point where you'd think you went a a local bar it Hot Springs, Arkansas and asked a dozen of Adam Brown's closest friends and family about him. Some of the quotes are a sentence, some are nearly half a page.

Adam's story is one that you need to read to believe. Along with Jason Redman's book, "The Trident," Fearless makes the mythical Navy SEALS seem human. So many times, people get lost in the narrative that Special Forces soldiers don't have a single flaw...they're perfect. "They're elite warriors trained by elite warriors, they don't have time to be human!"

This book reminds the reader that even though they're elite warriors, they're still human. They still make mistakes everyone else makes. They have flaws and can be vulnerable.

This isn't your stereotypical Navy SEAL book where you get a couple chapters on their childhood, a few more on BUD/S, a handful of missions. then a couple on their exit from the Navy. This book highlights Adam's life BEFORE he was a SEAL and the struggles he faced before becoming an elite warrior and that's what makes it unique.

This book NEEDS to be read even if you're not into the military genre. It's not a book about a SEAL, it's a book about a flawed human who just so happened to become a SEAL.
on January 2, 2013
Adam Brown was one of the elite of the elite, a member of SEAL Team SIX, the counterterrorism unit that has among its accomplishments the capture of Osama bin Laden. Brown was also a man with a history of addiction and all that attends it--theft and broken relationships and devastation. Most important of all, Brown was a man who had experienced grace and forgiveness through a relationship with Jesus Christ. His story, told by Eric Blehm in the book Fearless, is making waves today, having established itself on the New York Times list of bestsellers.

In many ways Fearless is typical for the biography of a warrior. It tracks Brown through his childhood and then, once he had made up his mind to join the Navy, through bootcamps, other forms of training, and eventually, through deployment in South America, Afghanistan and Iraq. Along the way we read of his brutal battle with addiction to crack cocaine, an addiction that followed him and haunted him even years after he had been through recovery. We also read of how he came to faith, eventually following the example of his parents and mentors, giving his life in service to Jesus Christ.

Brown's life came to an end on March 17, 2010, the day he was gunned down in the mountains of Afghanistan, losing his life in service to his country while destroying a dangerous terrorist cell. Of course his story continues in this book and in the lives of his wife and children and friends.

Eric Blehm has penned a powerful book in Fearless. It is well-written and tells an intriguing story of a fascinating individual. I would suggest that the main reason for the book's appeal is in Brown's quirky character. He was a fearless warrior and one with an impossibly high pain threshhold. He was one of those people who seemed to live his life in overdrive, doing things that appear to be fool-hardy or near-impossible or, in all likelihood, both. He was an eminently likeable guy.

A second reason for its success is that it has been written to appeal to both men and women. Sure, there is a fair bit of military action, a component that men tend to enjoy more than women, but so much of what SEAL Team SIX did remains classified that Blehm has had to focus less on missions and more on the colorful cast of characters that always surrounded Brown. This makes it a character-driven book led by Brown but pausing as well to introduce other fascinating people.

And then there is the appeal of a story of redemption, a man emerging from the depths to become a real man, one who had learned to cast off the utter selfishness of addiction so he could love and serve others. He was able to do this only after encountering the God who is so much stronger and more powerful than the addiction that had gripped him for so many years.

I feel as if I am sticking my neck out a little in expressing the one disappointment I had with this book: the lack of spiritual depth. Yes, Brown and his family are Christians, but the faith the author describes is as much about platitudes ("Adam is watching us from heaven and smiling...") than the beautiful depths of the Christian faith. Don't hear me say that I doubt Brown's faith; I do not doubt it at all. But I guess I am always on the look-out for the biography of the Christian soldier (or Christian athlete or...) who has a really deep faith, who does more than express that "Jesus has a plan for my life" and repeat basic Christian truths. There are very few like that and I have often wondered why that is. In this case, it is notable that Eric Blehm is not a Christian (saying in the Afterword that he has not opened a Bible in twenty-five years), so perhaps he just does not understand what Christians are telling him about their faith. Perhaps he has distilled what people have said into convenient catchphrases. I don't know. In reading Fearless you will encounter a genuine conversion story, but you will not encounter a great depth of truth beyond that. It's a little bit disappointing in that regard.

Fearless is a story that had to be told, and though it is a difficult story to hear, passing as it does through terrible addiction and ending in death, it is both powerful and inspiring, and I am glad to recommend it to you.

Do note that there is some rough language in the book--this is the navy after all. There is nothing outrageous, but it still contains words you would not want your children to repeat.
on January 27, 2017
Amazing book about a truly selfless American hero. If you want to know what really goes on pick up this book and read it. I cannot be thankful enough for our military. There are more of these stories out there, maybe not quite of this caliber but still enough to show us how truly brave our military can be. We should never ever take our freedom for granted, these people gave up their son, father, husband, brother and friend for that freedom, don't make them feel it was a waste. This young man was simply the best of the best and I am so thankful for his life. I just wish he didn't have to make the ultimate sacrifice.
on July 12, 2017
Read this book in 2013 and was brought back to it when ask to give the name of a book I read that made me cry. This was the one. It was one of the most moving / touching / heartbreaking books I've read. I loved the author's writing style (and have read several of his books) and when I finished this one, I turned over on the couch and simply broke down in wracking sobs for a good long while. His life, his sacrifices. Still think about and pray for him (and his family) to this day.
on July 1, 2012
This story is about love, devotion, heroism and self reliance. It's an inspiring story and yet it's hard to read, because the ending is sure to break your heart.

The book is very well written and it's a testament to Adam Brown his family and warrior friends. The story of his life has many interesting twist. You can expect an emotional ride with this story--It made me laugh. It made me think. And in the end, it left me in tears (exceedingly rare thing). Yu feel you know this man and his family, and the loss is physically painful, even to a stranger reading this story at home

While being a story of a warrior in war, in my mind, the war bits are incidental. They highlight the cost of freedom and the greatness of this warrior and his team mates. But it's far more than a story about heroic Navy SEALs. It's about the man and his journey in life. From the lowest pit of hell to the highest level of achievement, Adam Brown is one amazing man. Even in the Special Operations community, where every warrior is a hero, this man truly stands alone.

It's hard to imagine how a lost young man, addicted to crack and on the hard road to prison, managed to turn his life around. It would have been a huge story f success, 'even" if he just reformed and moved on to a productive life. But to become a Navy SEAL. To become a wonderful husband and father. To join Seal Team Six. And to do all that while preserving his values and showering love on people close to him--that's just unreal. It's such a great story that folks must read and discuss. We need people as committed, loving and brave as Adam. We need role modes like him. Therefore, the Brown family ought to be very proud, and we ought to be very thankful for men like Adam and his friends.

May this great hero rest in peace and his family do as well as he's wish them to. I never knew Adam Brown, but I feel his loss and think of him often. It saddens me to no end that such a man is lost.
on July 1, 2012
The story of Adam Brown's life is like a Roller Coaster Ride, first it takes you up and then it plunges you down, not just once but over and over again. It is a true American life story told without any holds barred and with Adam's permission, of a boy with high expectations, personal failures and the determination to overcome whatever life had in store for him. Like many of us, his family is affected by his actions and suffers their own doubts and fears until they turn to a local Pastor who shares some of their experience. When Adam meets Kelley, who is adrift herself, she see's something in Adam that is special and a bond is formed which becomes his lifeline. Adam and Kelley find the importance of faith in their lives as they struggle to make their marriage work and to free Adam from his addictions. With the help of an old family friend and against all odds, Adam not only gets into the United States Navy but sets his sights high, on the Seals and makes it. Not just the Seals but Seal Team Six in spite of injuries that could have allowed him to receive a medical discharge. Adam's story is told by his family, friends and fellow Seals who were anxious to tell of their friends willingness to volunteer for the tough assignments, to struggle on even when wounded and his strong team spirit all which made him a fearless hero in their eyes. His wife Kelley relates with humor how the warrior in Adam could turn off when he returned home and the loving husband and father took over. FEARLESS is the story of Adam Brown a real American Hero, it is a book you don't want to put down but you do want to share.
on July 27, 2017
Maybe I'm biased by all the other great SEAL books I've been reading, but this one doesn't seem to be as well written. Don't get me wrong the guy sounds like an amazing dude but the story could have been written better. Just FYI there is a heavy Christian tone to this book. No judgement. Just letting you know. I read once and sold it to a book store.